58 replies to this topic

#31 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:44 AM

Is there an exact date, as something has come up! or an rough date when we might have an exact date for the visit?

Same here,i might have to cancel :(
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#32 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:07 PM

It will be in early July, expect an announcement soon.

#33 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:54 AM

Dear All.

We are happy to announce that the reservation with the Royal Powder Mills has been agreed and finalized.

During the 25th of July (We are telling you about it a month in advance, which is a record), we will meet at the gates of the site at Beaulieu Drive, Waltham Abbey, Essex and be greeted by one of the people that actually worked on the site when it was open.

The site will then be open SPECIFICLY for us. This means that on this day the site will not be open to the general public and we are most likely to be the only visitors.
The visit will include take us through all of the mill buildings and exhibitions, including access to the north part of the site by land train (access to that part is restricted and therefore is usually not open to the public. It contains the press house where they pressed the BP in order to make it burn faster – with a press “slightly bigger” then the one you probably seen to date :), and the rockets exhibition.

We specifically asked for an employee of the site that has a lot of knowledge of both manufacture process and R&D. This is a chance for you to ask about the little details of the manufacturing process (we stressed that our members will not be interested at only a high level description of the process – as they probably seen it and done it themselves), and if anyone has specific questions in mind they can send them to us and we can ask them to be incorporated to the tour (meaning the answer will be given when we visit the relevant places).

All in all, the site is just like a big open museum – so don’t come expecting them to operate most of the machinery – making for you a kilo of high quality value BP – but from a learning perspective of both processes and usage during the wars, this is a gem.

The visit is expected to be about three hours (including expeditions and a little break). As people will be travelling quite a long distance, we are planning a social and maybe couple of demos after the visit. Price for the visit is expected to be between 7 and 8 pounds per member, and 9 to 10 pounds per non-members. The price includes Entry to site, the land train (which is extra), coffee/tea and biscuits. Any foods/drinks that are a part of the social are covered individually. Extra costs for any demos/admin are covered by the membership fees (which is why non-members pay a bit extra).

For the visit we have pencilled in a minimum of 20 attendees. As per some member’s suggestions, if we can’t fill up the numbers, we will offer UKFR and UKRA the remaining positions.

It is therefore important that anyone intending to visit will drop an email to events@pyrosociety.org.uk ASAP and our events till will give details of payment methods and schedule for the day once those have been finalized (should be next week).

#34 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:04 AM

We now published schedule and registration information for the Royal gunpowder mills. Please view on: http://www.pyrosociety.org.uk/events/

#35 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:59 PM

I won't be able to make this one,sorry :( .I'm moving and everythings about to go through so its going to be an hectic month.Hope all who's going has a great day,which i'm sure you will :P

dean
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#36 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:46 PM

Just asking if theres anyone near my area or on the way down (Ie Bradford/Skipton or anywhere near the M1) who is intending on driving to the event?

I thing Ill be able to get the day off work but wont know till a few days time and would love to go but 460 mile round trip for the day is mental so car share would be great.

Ill hapilly put towards fuel and there could be another with me if theres room too?

ANYONE

#37 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:10 PM

I'm going but opted to take the train from Leeds. Hope to see you there.

#38 ProfHawking

ProfHawking

3... 2... 1... Umm

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:14 PM

I should be able to make it :)
Unfortunately though I'm not much help to you northerners as far as car-sharing goes :P

#39 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:15 PM

Not to worry Rob, see you and FireworkCrazy Mark there!

#40 MFX

MFX

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:22 PM

Sorry wont be able to make it now :( Two gigs back to back, Bristol and Scotland plus all the prep.

Have fun!
If it looks like it's coming towards you, it probably is!

#41 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:12 AM

Sounds like it will be a great day, shame I'm on the other side of the world :(

#42 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 01:56 PM

It would really be nice to see some new faces. We want MORE people to join this visit. Everyone, if you have the time, please come. If you have problem to arrive, let us know and we will see what we can do. We are going to have a rocket history expert there as well now (and I'm not talking the little rockets some of us build :)) - it's always proves nice days out, and with all the effort involved in orgnizing this things - it's really nice to see a good crowd.

#43 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 04:40 PM

Sadly, due to work commitments, I will not be able to attend. It's a damn shame - I was really looking forward to it. Anyways, y'all have a great day and please try to take some pictures for me and the other non-attendees!

#44 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 12:17 PM

A shame there´s no such organization here which does such trips ): Would really like to see some pix of that factory and it´s surroundings!
Have a great day everyone! Think of us non-attendees too! PIX PIX PIX :)

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#45 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 11:27 PM

Anyone around the south yorkshire/nottinghamshire area needing a lift? I'm from Worksop on the border between Yorkshire and Notts and will probably be travelling down the M1, so if you want a lift send me a PM and il see if i can organise a time/picking up point. Got 3 spaces in my car + 1 for an extra small person (in the middle at the back).

If anyone is near to an M1 junction further south I dont mind taking a small detour, as long as they are within a few miles or could get a bus to somewhere near the junction to be picked up.

Edited by pyromaniac303, 22 July 2007 - 12:38 AM.

You can never have a long enough fuse...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users