Photo

My Friend Busted For A Pair Of Fireworks!

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#16 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:45 AM

is thought the couple's two children, a girl aged 11 and boy, nine, are being looked after by relatives, who were seen visiting the house yesterday.

The children were nine and eleven years old!

Fear the worst!

Edited by MDH, 24 July 2007 - 03:49 AM.

#17 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:58 PM

any update? hows richard and family?

#18 YT2095

YT2095

The Resourceful One.

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:29 PM

no update yet, and nothing likely until November, I`m sure he`ll give me a call when he`s let off, in my opinion it should be "Mr Bean" the gas man that gets booked for wasting police time, and the Media for Libel.

not likely to happen though! *sigh*

and the poor bloke and his kids still have to live there too, even if they DID retract the press release and appologise.
"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom" - Death

#19 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:43 PM

One thing this brings up in my mind is the issue of labelling everything properly. I don't know just how daft Mr.gasman really is, but I suspect that if the device had a proper label saying it was a garden firework that emitted sparks and all the other stuff according to BS7114 he might have left it alone. Some of the other people on this forum do an admirable job in this regard, just look at some of the pics in the Cylindrical Shells thread. And it's very useful to you as well: when on November 5th you dive into the store and pull out an anonymous brown tube with Visco fuse, are you really sure it's a gerb???? or is it a 30g flash salute???? :wacko: :huh: :ph34r:

Edited by pyrotrev, 27 July 2007 - 12:47 PM.

Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#20 YT2095

YT2095

The Resourceful One.

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 01:28 PM

Hmmm....

you make a good point, and I don`t know if he had got the thing labeled up or not, I suspect Not.
I know the chems he had from Me anyway were all labeled correctly, no idea why they took them though unless he other stuff not labeled, Again, I don`t know?

I never considered it from That perspective :)
"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom" - Death

#21 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 03:00 PM

One thing this brings up in my mind is the issue of labelling everything properly. I don't know just how daft Mr.gasman really is, but I suspect that if the device had a proper label saying it was a garden firework that emitted sparks and all the other stuff according to BS7114 he might have left it alone. Some of the other people on this forum do an admirable job in this regard, just look at some of the pics in the Cylindrical Shells thread. And it's very useful to you as well: when on November 5th you dive into the store and pull out an anonymous brown tube with Visco fuse, are you really sure it's a gerb???? or is it a 30g flash salute???? :wacko: :huh: :ph34r:

Excellent point,
where would be a good site to download these from ?
regards,
Vince.

#22 RangerOfFire

RangerOfFire

Snap, crackle, pop

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:58 PM

Make them yourself. Just measure the tube, use a bit of 2pi*r and open Photoshop or Paint.
>> Status: General Testing

#23 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 05:46 PM

Make them yourself. Just measure the tube, use a bit of 2pi*r and open Photoshop or Paint.

good point,i will give it a go.

#24 EnigmaticBiker

EnigmaticBiker

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 05:55 PM

Excellent point,
where would be a good site to download these from ?
regards,
Vince.

There are label sites mentioned on the Nostalgia threads.

This is a shocking case which seems to illustrate how dumb, frightened and malicious a lot of the public and press really are.
Generally speaking, peoples' perception of actual risk is lousy.
There was probably more of a risk from the polices' explosives (which are being carried around in vehicles on public roads).

Edited by EnigmaticBiker, 27 July 2007 - 06:14 PM.

#25 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 06:45 PM

This country!!!! That's all i have to say on the matter :angry:
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#26 Frozentech

Frozentech

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:19 PM

Hmmm....

you make a good point, and I don`t know if he had got the thing labeled up or not, I suspect Not.
I know the chems he had from Me anyway were all labeled correctly, no idea why they took them though unless he other stuff not labeled, Again, I don`t know?

I never considered it from That perspective :)

One possible issue with the labeling. In the US there has been discussion that as soon as a "professional" looking label is attached, it is no longer a hobby item, and becomes an item of commerce. This could lead to numerous additional regulations and agencies becoming involved. I have no idea how it works in the UK though. I decided that I do like to put labels on regardless.
"The word unblowupable is thrown around a lot these days, but I think I can say with confidence..."
KAABLAAAMMM!!!
"OK... that shows you what could potentially happen."
--Homer Simpson

#27 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:53 PM

In the US there has been discussion that as soon as a "professional" looking label is attached, it is no longer a hobby item, and becomes an item of commerce.

In the UK, manufacture is manufacture regardless of commercial intent, so it is certainly best to label everything. Selling a non-certified firework to the public would be a different offense. It must be sensible to make fireworks that look like fireworks.

Here's one of my small 1/2" gerbs - the labeling is a bit excessive but maybe less likely to scare the gas man. Perhaps I should add colourful tissue paper in future just to reinforce the point. Given the state of the UK at the moment, who knows :mellow:

Posted Image

Edited by BrightStar, 27 July 2007 - 10:24 PM.

#28 RangerOfFire

RangerOfFire

Snap, crackle, pop

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:37 PM

I think if you're going to do something you might as well go the whole way. I use these (or similar on my 3/4" ID x 3.5" tubes).

Just without the "SAMPLE"
Posted Image

Edited by RangerOfFire, 27 July 2007 - 09:38 PM.

>> Status: General Testing

#29 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:03 PM

One possible issue with the labeling. In the US there has been discussion that as soon as a "professional" looking label is attached, it is no longer a hobby item, and becomes an item of commerce. This could lead to numerous additional regulations and agencies becoming involved. I have no idea how it works in the UK though. I decided that I do like to put labels on regardless.

I would say it would be wise to add something to the effect that it is not for sale to or use by the general public, maybe also that it's a development sample.
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#30 spectrum

spectrum

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:20 PM

I wouldn't want to comment on the case or the individuals involved. On one hand I can understand having worked in the industry (legitimately) for 24 years now the appeal of the subject but on the other hand the law is there to be upheld. It is just the way it is. On a POSITIVE note, I have only very recently joined and have submitted a proposal to explore the possibilities of making space available on a commercial basis at my own licensed factory for the purposes of private research and development. This would enable the design, construction and testing of fireworks and pyrotechnic devices safely and legally. The matter has been submitted for consideration but is in the very early stages of exploration. I can emphasise with the passion most of you feel for the subject and recognise the difficulties in achieving your ambitions without breaking the law. But the law IS the law nonetheless. I sincerely hope that a scheme can be put together whereby affordable, flexible factory time and space can be made available to responsible persons wishing to pursue this activity. I have forwarded outline details to the secretary of the society and authorised him to release the contents of the email in a post if he sees fit.

Paul Mulvihill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users