Photo

My Friend Busted For A Pair Of Fireworks!

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31 YT2095

YT2095

The Resourceful One.

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:57 PM

Yes, having a Legal area and/or required permissions would indeed be favorable in no uncertain terms.

I wish you the very best of luck (hoping equally that you`ll not require it) in your aims!

btw, TRY if you can to make it Central UK ;)
"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom" - Death

#32 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:38 PM

I know everyone here would pursue this hobby legally if it were made easier to obtain a licence,i mean what would the chances be for someone with no chemistry degree etc,but the practical experience to know the dangers involved and able to practice this hobby safely???....Slim i would say.

Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't the HSE have a system in place about 20-30 years ago where by you could obtain a licence for small scale manufacture,but they scrapped because no one applied???.It would be a different story now.

dean
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#33 YT2095

YT2095

The Resourceful One.

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:20 PM

ok, I`m, gunna stick my neck out again, what is "HSE"?

#34 MMMMMM Pyro

MMMMMM Pyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:53 PM

http://www.google.co...=ig&hl=en&q=HSE

If I am not mistaken... {Which I probably am...} its the Health and Safety Executive...

Regards (Hoping he isn't wrong),

Mike

#35 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:01 PM

The Health and Safety Executive - http://www.hse.gov.uk/

I believe the UKPS is working hard to build links with both the police and the HSE to agree safe and legal boundaries for our hobby, but to use engineers' terminology - at the moment it's "distinctly non-trivial".

Spectrum - thanks for your post. It is always good to see support from the professionals here and your points are well made.

Edited by BrightStar, 28 July 2007 - 11:23 PM.

#36 YT2095

YT2095

The Resourceful One.

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:11 PM

Neat! thanks :)

#37 SwissTony

SwissTony

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:36 PM

Seems life is full of coincidences these days, I was thinking myself yesterday that the chems I have purchase recently, have only the name on them and wondered if there was as site you can download full safety labels (all the hazard warning triangles e.t.c.)
This country is getting to a stage where no one will be allowed to do anything without a license or without offending someone.
To much political correctness in the country.
Our heroes fought in ww2 for our freedom, I bet they are a bit p!ssed off with way the country has turned out.

On a lighter note, thanks to whoever mentioned V for vendetta as I am now of to hunt for my dvd :D
Ripping for The Disciples
"Are those my balls on your face?"

#38 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:13 PM

quite true :(

http://www.yorkshire...ticleid=3022752
http://www.spenborou...ticleid=3026334

note the "unbiased" headline :angry:

this if one of the guys I do Rocket cars with, and he had most of his chems and glassware from me also, he does NOT make "b**bs" in fact his chem knowledge is limited and I (with others) help him over the net with formula.
he`s just like anyone of you, with the misfortune of Do-Gooders poking their noses in and making 2+2 = 10

be under NO Illusion, the persuit of this hobby or Any chem hobby is at your own risk!

I have been wondering for a while,what the outcome of this sorry post is,has it being sorted out or is the poor chap still waiting to hear from the law ?

#39 Draco_Americanus

Draco_Americanus

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 08:09 AM

what was the outcome of this?
I have had some experance on the bad side of things as well, last year my home was raided by the drug enforcment angency because i had ordered iodine, when they saw my chemical stock they called in the fire department, what saved my tail is i had everything labled with hazmat stickers i got from where i worked. I had also showed them my notes and books that i have on fireworks noting that none of it was about b**bs or HE. they are defently scarry people that if rubbed the wrong way could have made my life very difficult.

#40 YT2095

YT2095

The Resourceful One.

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 01:51 PM

well, so far he has been to the magistrates court twice and now has to attend Crown Court sometime early this year.
the 100 gram law apparently is not true, it`s now 50 Gram! (according to his lawyer).

he`s allowed to use a computer online (or at least they haven`t said anything about his new one yet).

they left all his glassware, and it`s Possible he MAY get some of his chemicals back.
apparently it`s cost the Gov over quarter of a Million quid so far, so it`s it`s unlikely he`ll get away with Nothing as a charge.

time will tell.....

#41 Willis

Willis

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:33 PM

Hi there
Ive just started pyro having had an interest in it for sometime. I have only just bought my first lot of chemicals and this all sounds very worrying. I dont have any books or liences i am starting to keep notes but i am yet to make my first device due to the lack of scales at the time being. From reading this im guessing labeling bags with chemical properties and putting commercial labels on the devices will lessen the risk of getting arrested? Posted Image

James

#42 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:19 AM

According to new laws, terrorists want to go down with a brocade flower, two reports and green twinkles.

Fascinating stuff!!

#43 Andrew

Andrew

Rocket Scientist, no really, I am!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:15 AM

First off, can I, without being rude, ask that people refrain from mentioning the case directly, as it is improper to discuss the case speculatively before it goes to trial. As it is going to crown court it is even more important that nothing jeopardises the guys defence. If you want to get an update on progress, that is fine but please keep it concise and non specific. If you want to talk about specifics, DON'T, not until it is over; or at very least speak generally & speculatively and make no reference to the case at all. I'm not being rude, its just it can be damaging to the defence and thus improper to do so; would you like it if people went all 'tabloid' just before your case went to trial.

hide your stuff better!

Unfortunately this is a bit counter-productive. Being open and professional is a better policy.

Hi there
Ive just started pyro having had an interest in it for sometime. I have only just bought my first lot of chemicals and this all sounds very worrying. I dont have any books or liences i am starting to keep notes but i am yet to make my first device due to the lack of scales at the time being. From reading this im guessing labeling bags with chemical properties and putting commercial labels on the devices will lessen the risk of getting arrested?

James

Hi James, I would not worry yourself much at all. Generally speaking, cases as discussed in this thread are very isolated and they are not usually like this in genuine circumstances. People (public and civil servants) do generally suffer from a varying degrees of ignorance, so there is always the risk of events getting out of hand, but they are seldom taken this far. On your chemicals, they should already be fully labelled. It is illegal to sell hazardous products without full labels on (a label with the chemical name and weight is not sufficient). If you got a simple label and an SDS this is also illegal. Where did you buy from?

The law is very clear and you can operate within the exemption completely legally, should you ever get a visit, it is best to know the law and be able to quote the legal framework in which you are operating.

the 100 gram law apparently is not true, it`s now 50 Gram! (according to his lawyer).

Without addressing this particular case, the exemption laid out in MSER:2005 is very clear, it is 100g. There was an statutory amendment made in 2007, this however only addresses spelling and grammatical corrections to clear up the meaning of certain sections. There was no reduction in the limit to 50g. MSER is on the statute and is law, I've heard many people claim that it is not, but it is on the statute, it has been passed and ratified by central government, it is the governing legislation. MSER:2005 also went as far as to repeal several parts of former legislation, including parts of the 1875 act. There are complications with the exemption, thus MSER, COER and other legislation should be fully understood before embarking on manufacturing ventures.

#44 Willis

Willis

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:36 PM

Hi James, I would not worry yourself much at all. Generally speaking, cases as discussed in this thread are very isolated and they are not usually like this in genuine circumstances. People (public and civil servants) do generally suffer from a varying degrees of ignorance, so there is always the risk of events getting out of hand, but they are seldom taken this far. On your chemicals, they should already be fully labelled. It is illegal to sell hazardous products without full labels on (a label with the chemical name and weight is not sufficient). If you got a simple label and an SDS this is also illegal. Where did you buy from?

The law is very clear and you can operate within the exemption completely legally, should you ever get a visit, it is best to know the law and be able to quote the legal framework in which you are operating.

Thanks i wont worry to much then I just need to sort out the labeling of the chemicals.

I got the chemicals from a small seller that sells the chemicals purely for pyro and they came with just chemical name on the label. I have the chemicals now and i want to put full labels on does anyone know a site that has chemical labels available?

#45 CCH Concepts

CCH Concepts

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:00 PM

Without addressing this particular case, the exemption laid out in MSER:2005 is very clear, it is 100g. There was an statutory amendment made in 2007, this however only addresses spelling and grammatical corrections to clear up the meaning of certain sections. There was no reduction in the limit to 50g. MSER is on the statute and is law, I've heard many people claim that it is not, but it is on the statute, it has been passed and ratified by central government, it is the governing legislation. MSER:2005 also went as far as to repeal several parts of former legislation, including parts of the 1875 act. There are complications with the exemption, thus MSER, COER and other legislation should be fully understood before embarking on manufacturing ventures.

does someone know were i can find the exact legislation, i think this would be very useful for me to know to keep with in the law. also to put worrying familly member minds at rest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users