33 replies to this topic

#31 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:04 PM

One more question... I have added more CuCO3 to my HCl solution and ran out of CuCO3 (again). The solution has now changed from green/brown to light green in colour. I'm hoping this is due to the solution being mostly CuCl2 and water. Is heating required to drive off excess HCl? Or would it evaporate before the water if left out?

#32 YT2095

YT2095

The Resourceful One.

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 05:45 PM

it will evap on its own, but it`ll take ages, esp at lower concs, heating will shift most all of it as the vapor pressure is quite high for HCl.

Edited by YT2095, 21 August 2007 - 05:50 PM.

"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom" - Death

#33 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 01:17 PM

Boild off (hopefully all) of the HCL, and water yesterday. Finally have a brown solid forming in evaporating dish and pot. There is also some light green present, would that possibly be copper oxychloride?
Anyway soaking pine cones in this solution should work well. Even dipping them and tossing right into fire wet worked.

I plan on mixing the CuCl2 with CuSO4 and PVC (same chems as in the commercial campfire colour) and adding to fire as a powder.I will do the same with SrCl2 and PVC. I really have no idea how much PVC to add though. 10% maybe?

#34 YT2095

YT2095

The Resourceful One.

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 02:13 PM

the green/blue should be the Hydrated version of the copper chloride (water of crystalization) you`ll find that with further heating/drying it would all go brownish.
as for the PVC and mixtures like that, I have no idea, that`s Strictly Pyro stuff, I can`t help, sorry.
"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom" - Death

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users