#31 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:52 AM

Because lead dioxide is the best material to use

And I don't have the money for a half decent platinum anode, none of that plated crap that only lasts for a few runs.

#32 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:13 AM

Should have some potassium chlorate for sale within a week or two :)

#33 pkhow

pkhow

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:51 PM

DSA anodes with MMO coatings have replaced all other materials for commercial chlorate production since the 1960's. Far from being Crap as you put it MMO electrodes are used in 24hour chlorate Production with life spans 15Years+

http://www.eltechsys..._Coatings.shtml

http://www.lidaprodu...s_Coatings.html

#34 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:38 AM

I didn't call MMO crap (I'm using one ATM), I called platinum plated stuff crap. Please try to fully read posts before replying.

#35 pkhow

pkhow

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:08 PM

My appologies then although it does not seem clear! I am not sure what plain platinum coated Ti would be used for and the only references i can find relate to chlorine Production where again MMO are now the most common material.
I again put forward to anyone interested the surgestion to try using the newer MMO electrodes designed to operate in very low salinities in a Perchlorate cell. Normally failure occurs because of the poor solubility of perchlorate so as MMO materials are now capable of running in less than 0.3% it is possible to operate as a perch cell :huh:

#36 tom_123

tom_123

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:53 PM

I'd give it a go. but how could I get one of these modern MMO anodes?

edit: ok I've done some research starting from the links that pkhow posted. I've come up with place in melbourne that can supply MMO anode mesh made by Lida and Eltech. The guy I spoke to wasn't sure of the exact coating and he thought they were all pretty similar. They mainly sell it for cathodic protection of concrete reinforcing in buildings. I'll get some to try.

pkhow, is there a particular type of coating that you are talking about that could be used to produce perchlorate?

Tom.

Edited by tom_123, 06 February 2008 - 04:50 AM.

#37 pkhow

pkhow

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 01:02 PM

Most commercial Chlorate and Chlorine Production are Produced using fairly saturated solutions and MMO Anodes.
Domestic Swimming Pool chlorinators have had to operate at the other end in very low levels of disolved salt.
A lot of research has been put in to the MMO coatings for swimming Pool Chlorination that will operate for years in solutions well under 0.3%. The levels at which Perchlorate drops out of solution is well above this. Care needs to be taken so that the electrodes are not buried in the perch so should be mounted high in the reaction chamber.

#38 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 09:05 AM

Does anyone know a place that will sell low-ish strength nitric acid? I want to try plate lead dioxide on MMO (if that fails, go all out and try on titanium)

#39 rocket

rocket

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 09:14 AM

I've found a few places around the country that sell it though I can't remember the sites, I'll have a look for you though.

Edit: Found a place in Melbourne but its pick up only. Have look for etching supplies.

Edited by rocket, 07 February 2008 - 09:41 AM.

#40 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:44 PM

I know about 5 places that sell it but none are close and wont freight, there is one place nearby that sells it by the drum but I don't exactly want to buy a drum of it. Hoping someone may know of a freight friendly source otherwise Ill have to wait till someone can visit vanbar in melb (they have a lot of goodies)

#41 krs

krs

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:55 PM

Hey just ive been importing perchlorate into Australia for a while now and havent had any problems with customs. the same goes with other chems, I just make sure the discriptions on the post pack are labled as pottery glaze.
they get tested for drugs, thats it nothing else. arrives in the post every time!!
just thought id sign up and let you guys know. if you need any help finding sellers just let me know and ill help you out!!

#42 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 06:04 AM

G'day my Antipodean cousins!

My wife and I shall be travelling round Oz for a holiday between March/April. The road portions of my trip are between Sydney and Melbourne, and Brisbane and Cairns, with a brief day or two around AliceSpr.

If any of you fellows live along this route and fancy a pyro chat in person then please PM me.

#43 Pepsi

Pepsi

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:58 PM

Hey Marble.. Did you get your HNO3?
Regards
P
"Growing Old is Inevitable,
Growing Up is Optional"

#44 kelly

kelly

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:32 AM

Another FNG ("F" ing new guy) to pyro, just joined the forum last month. History: ex teacher wood/metal, northern Vic., been into BP and KNo3 rockets for about 45 years, tired of watching parachutes. Been assembling chems for stars, have the following BP (home made), Sulpher, Dextrin (home made), Potassium nitrate, Boric acid, Copper sulfate, Charcoal (home made), Iron oxide, Sodium bicarb, Epsom salts,(purchased items) Potassium chlorate, Strontium carbonate, and Al powder tech grade, only thing I can't find is a chlorine donor. Most of the items are over the counter sales, remainder are ordered, have the supplier if anyone is interested. Big question is what can be used as a chlorine donor and where in Oz does one get the stuff.
PS. nice to know there are a few of us sharing the same probs at least we can commisserate. :huh:
PPS. am aware of the dangers of potassium chlorate, used it in the army.

Kelly

#45 mike_au

mike_au

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:35 AM

I believe some brands of PVC glue are suitable, have a look at APC and pyroguide.

http://www.apcforum....?showtopic=2251

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users