53 replies to this topic

#16 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 07:01 PM

You're probably adverse to this suggestion but why do you not purchase a chinese (the red ones with rubber barrels) from Harbour Freight so that not only are you able to mill things whilst in the process building your own ball mill you can also look at the design of the commercial mill with your own hands?

Google Harbour Freight or go to http://www.harbourfreight.com and search of rock tumblers- you can get one for price + P&P for £35 max. Expect a 2 week wait for deelivery, if you do not have the debit card to purchase the mill then sign up for one from HSBC (you just need a passport ID and your parents/guardians signature) or get your parents to purchase it (assuming they know of your hobby).

This sounds like the best plan. Even with the tips given here by a few people,contrary to what you say, you don't seem capable of figuring things out on your own and building a mill yet... Buy a ball mill and get started. Then continue reading/researching and build one later.

PS: A grub screw (also called a set screw) is how pulleys are usually locked onto shafts (rods)

#17 Zinginex

Zinginex

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 08:25 PM

You both are probably right lol but wow United Nuclear sells 3.lb mills for like triple the price of the harbour freights price :blink: 19$ for a 3.lb that sounds really good. I'll probably buy one then and as you said check how that works and then make my own when i'm a little wiser lol. Thanks for the replies. :rolleyes:

#18 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:43 PM

http://www.gemrock.net/
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#19 Zinginex

Zinginex

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:58 PM

http://www.gemrock.net/

Thats pretty expensive.... I guess Postage and packaging will be much cheaper than harbour freight.

#20 W.P

W.P

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:15 PM

Post and packaging and the cost of the mill totals to around £35 from Harbour Freight. I personally believe that for a brit the cheapest, staple supply of commercial mills on the internet are from HB.

#21 Zinginex

Zinginex

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:36 PM

What's HB?

#22 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:38 PM

Just came across this page wich could be helpfull to some folks

http://www.digitalfi...orate/ballmill/

#23 W.P

W.P

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:39 AM

What's HB?

Harbour Freight.

#24 Zinginex

Zinginex

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:42 PM

Harbour Freight.

Ah thanks.

3 LB. ROTARY ROCK TUMBLER <--- You see this tumbler. Does anybody know what it's rpm is? Or is it good enough for milling bp?
Also does anybody know the exact cost of P+P for harbour freight? Also do they literally just drop the item off in your porch if your not in? Because I'm 15 and obviously not into rock polishing will they be suspiscious or anything? My parents are fine with me doing pyrotechnics though.
Thanks

Edited by Zinginex, 09 January 2008 - 09:05 PM.

#25 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:46 PM

The barrel turns at around 30rpm. It is good enough for milling BP. I mean just that, good enough, not ideal. I find it takes 8-12 hours at least to get a good product from the mill, some go as far as 24 hours.

Yes, they will just drop it off. A rock tumbler is not suspicious at all. For every rock tumbler that goes for milling black powder, probably a thousand, if not more, go for legitimately tumbling rocks. Even for a 15 year old, it's not suspicious. On top of all of that, the postal delivery driver will have no idea what is inside.

#26 Zinginex

Zinginex

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:56 PM

The barrel turns at around 30rpm. It is good enough for milling BP. I mean just that, good enough, not ideal. I find it takes 8-12 hours at least to get a good product from the mill, some go as far as 24 hours.

Yes, they will just drop it off. A rock tumbler is not suspicious at all. For every rock tumbler that goes for milling black powder, probably a thousand, if not more, go for legitimately tumbling rocks. Even for a 15 year old, it's not suspicious. On top of all of that, the postal delivery driver will have no idea what is inside.

Ah great :D I mean i didn't want like a special "Harbour Freight" guy delivering it, making me sign stuff and then talking bout specials rocks and stuff and I'd just be like... err :blink:.

Just an idea but to maybe speeden the rate of milling would putting some sort of blocks inside the jar, for example dowel rods or making the jar more like a hexagon on the inside make the lead balls grind the powder faster? As it will fall onto the powder instead of just rolling over it.

#27 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:04 PM

yeah they are called lifter bars i hot-melt glued a couple 8mm brass rods on the inside of a jar, but without any milling media in the jar , i wanted to mix some bp and dextrin togeather instead of screening to see if would work , seems ok! still waiting for the stars to dry :)

#28 Zinginex

Zinginex

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:07 PM

yeah they are called lifter bars i hot-melt glued a couple 8mm brass rods on the inside of a jar, but without any milling media in the jar , i wanted to mix some bp and dextrin togeather instead of screening to see if would work , seems ok! still waiting for the stars to dry :)

Ah cool I'll probably do that then as it would make sense for it too speed it up. :D thanks for all the replies

#29 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:24 PM

A smooth drum makes cleaning easier, if you have lots of lifters then you have lots of places for the last powder to hide and contaminate the next.

Several drums and some dense media (lead balls) are your best friends.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#30 Zinginex

Zinginex

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:29 PM

A smooth drum makes cleaning easier, if you have lots of lifters then you have lots of places for the last powder to hide and contaminate the next.

Several drums and some dense media (lead balls) are your best friends.

mmm i guess but you sure i would get good enough meal powder over night with a 30 rpm rock tumbler?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users