• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 pyroguitarman

pyroguitarman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:40 PM

First of all I understand that any flash powder is dangerous, and should be treated with due respect, but I would like to know what mixtures of chemicals are more stable forms of flash powder, I'd rather not loose any part of my body :wacko: ......any comments are appreciated, If this has already been brought up in the forum could you give me the link, and sorry if it is. :D

#2 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:40 PM

The industry standard 70/30 mix based on potassium perchlorate is regarded as one of the 'safer' flash compositions to work with. When I say safer, I mean in comparison to mixtures containing sulphur or antimony trisulphide or other esoteric formulae.

In the UK, 70/30 or close approximations are used commercially.

#3 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:54 PM

The industry standard 70/30 mix based on potassium perchlorate is regarded as one of the 'safer' flash compositions to work with. When I say safer, I mean in comparison to mixtures containing sulphur or antimony trisulphide or other esoteric formulae.

In the UK, 70/30 or close approximations are used commercially.

Just out of curiosity, are KNO3 based flash powders less sensitive than 70/30?

#4 overflow

overflow

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:39 PM

Surely they are harder to ignite, in my experience. :D

#5 MMMMMM Pyro

MMMMMM Pyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:56 PM

With flash safety is always relative:

KNO3 flash is harder to light, but is generally KNO3 and Mg, hence Mg incompatabilities are of concern. Even with Al its normally Al with S and then you have Sulphur problems.
KClO3---- just don't go there, all the NH4 and S problems...
KClO4 flash is overall the 'safest' and is certainly the more commonly used.

Mike

#6 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 08:04 PM

also, you need to consider what the application you require. For many application, you can replace flash powder with whistle which is by far safer.

#7 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 08:39 PM

also, you need to consider what the application you require. For many application, you can replace flash powder with whistle which is by far safer.

I rarely use any flash, but was curious as KClO4 is hard to get but KNO3 is not. Would whistle work well in small Ti salute shells? If so would it need to be granulated first or as powder?

#8 MMMMMM Pyro

MMMMMM Pyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 08:55 PM

Well, in a word; yes.

However while whistle is a blooming powerful material, it is not as powerful as 70/30 in my experience. Hence more would be required to get the same bang. Granulated I would have said is gonna be better than the powder...

The plus side is the Whistle wont increase in sensitivity as much as flash will upon the addition of Ti...

Hope I have helped!

Mike

#9 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:24 PM

The very best report compositions are very dangerous. If you want a super safe flash composition you could try one based on barium sulfate and dark pyro. Supposedly (although it's recreational pyrotechnics so take it with a grain of sodium chlorate) this stuff even makes a nice noise in open tubes.

#10 MMMMMM Pyro

MMMMMM Pyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:40 PM

sodium chlorate

Eek! I'd rather take it with a grain of Sodium Chloride... but each to there own:)

And yeah BaSO4 with Mg does work and is bloody loud, but is exceptionally difficult to light in my experience.

Mike

#11 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:51 AM

You can prime your fuses with a thin layer of dextrin and fine AL. I generally just "dust" them with damp CaSO4 and AL, ratio 1 CaSO4 / 3 AL. This helps to ignite most compositions I make. But I guess that is getting a little off topic unless you use aforementioned Barium Sulfate flash.

The ratios are Barium Sulfate 6, Aluminum (Dark Pyro) 3, Sulfur 1.

It's a cheap flash powder too since barium sulfate is easy to come by. Cheaper than nitrate flash in many scenarios. I use Sulfates a lot more than I used to, from flash to fountains, when I realized how cheap they were.

#12 Knightmare

Knightmare

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:04 AM

Anybody here using a diapering process for mixing?

#13 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:42 AM

Depends on what your using it for, KClO3 based flash is fine for small - medium salutes (provided it doesn't come into contact with any sulfur / sulfides) but useless for most other purposes. Although its widely used in Maltese fireworks.

I think everyone here uses diapering to mix flash.

Edited by marble, 05 February 2008 - 10:44 AM.

#14 MMMMMM Pyro

MMMMMM Pyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:00 AM

I would certainly hope that everyone here uses diaper to mix flash!

I must admit to not agreeing with you about Chlorate flash. Ever since I did the (less that 0.1g.) test of KClO3 and S... I have been sufficiently scared not to try anything with them on a larger scale.

Mike

#15 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:22 PM

You can prime your fuses with a thin layer of dextrin and fine AL. I generally just "dust" them with damp CaSO4 and AL, ratio 1 CaSO4 / 3 AL. This helps to ignite most compositions I make. But I guess that is getting a little off topic unless you use aforementioned Barium Sulfate flash.

The ratios are Barium Sulfate 6, Aluminum (Dark Pyro) 3, Sulfur 1.

It's a cheap flash powder too since barium sulfate is easy to come by. Cheaper than nitrate flash in many scenarios. I use Sulfates a lot more than I used to, from flash to fountains, when I realized how cheap they were.

And where might I find Barium sulfate? Isn't it used for enemas and dentistry?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users