22 replies to this topic

#16 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:03 PM

I'm not sure. The stuff I have is 30 years old, hehe... For medical purposes.

You could always just try mark from CCDCO, he's got strontium and barium sulfate.

You could make sulfate out of sulfuric acid and carbonate but I think that'd be more expensive than just buying it (second to how safe and insensitive it is it's also viable for how cheap it is).

If all else fails you could just 50 Barium Nitrate, 25 Sulfur, 25 paulownia (or other super high grade) charcoal or dark aluminum with borate. Insensitive and great for multipurpose. Loose it acts like flash. Pressed it makes impressive limey white stars. It's also an excellent rocket formula provided you don't make the rocket too tall, and acts okay as a fountain (ratios may need adjusting there).

I also discovered that by adding paraffin to this mixture you can make it pop with bright green and silver lights.

Edited by MDH, 05 February 2008 - 09:10 PM.

#17 GalFisk

GalFisk

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:17 PM

And where might I find Barium sulfate? Isn't it used for enemas and dentistry?

It's used as an x-ray contrast agent, since it absorbs x-rays and is nontoxic (soluble barium salts are quite toxic). I think it's also used in pottery.

#18 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 01:34 PM

It's used as an x-ray contrast agent, since it absorbs x-rays and is nontoxic (soluble barium salts are quite toxic). I think it's also used in pottery.

I knew about the medical uses, so noy a likely source foe me. I'll check the product list from my local pottery supply shop.

#19 pyroguitarman

pyroguitarman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:25 PM

So would a potassium nitrate, sulphur, aluminium, and boric acid mixture of flash powder be a pretty stable form of flash powder?

#20 MMMMMM Pyro

MMMMMM Pyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:43 PM

On a relative scale... so long as its going no where near chlorates... yes:

The Al is protected with H3BO3 and KNO3 doesn't adversely react with S... Only I suppose if you are storing (which you shouldn't be) the Al and S could react in presence of moisture...

Mike

#21 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:45 PM

Also, in lesser gram quantities, it has been noted that the powder is much less likely to react. In piles of 10, 15, 25 grams you are more likely to have a runaway.

#22 pyroguitarman

pyroguitarman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:25 PM

Well I wouldn't make large quantities, or store it since you need a licence to store it. Thanks to everyone who has replied! :D

#23 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:34 PM

You might also be interested to know that addition of a few % graphite powder seems to significantly reduce the mechanical sensitivity of many kinds of flash powder. :P

Edited by pyrotrev, 08 February 2008 - 01:36 PM.

Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users