• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#16 mike_smith919

mike_smith919

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:46 AM

WOW! Thats one proffesional looking guide, the cake wasn't bad either ;) lol.

Good job, I now have another project to add to my to do list. :)

Mike.

#17 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 07:05 AM

At last! The tutorial is finished, taken longer than the cake itself :rolleyes:

http://www.pyrobin.c..... tutorial.doc

Let me know what you think. Any comments good or bad (constructive criticism) would be much appreciated. This is my first tutorial after all.

Dean

Thats simply one of the best tutorials I´ve seen so far.
You go into EVERY detail and explain everything in an
easy-to-understand way.

Perfect!

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#18 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:34 AM

Thats simply one of the best tutorials I´ve seen so far.
You go into EVERY detail and explain everything in an
easy-to-understand way.

Perfect!

Thanks for your comments guys, much appreciated :)

They will probibly small updates as I come up with differant ways of fusing, as this is the most important part. If you follow the fusing method of the Z rows, you should get 2 shots per second, but I have a couple of ideas, and hoping I can get up to 5 shots per second. Once I can get a good consistant shot rate I'll be attempting an 'X cake', but as we all know we can't rush these things, so don't expect it anytime soon

Dean
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#19 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:29 AM

I've had problems getting hot melt glue to stay hot enough to do several tubes at a time, - seems fine for single tubes though. I found PVA glue from B&Q cheaper, easily available, and very strong. Trouble is it takes a day to harden properly.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#20 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:39 AM

I've had problems getting hot melt glue to stay hot enough to do several tubes at a time, - seems fine for single tubes though. I found PVA glue from B&Q cheaper, easily available, and very strong. Trouble is it takes a day to harden properly.

As you know, hot melt glue will stay plyable for 10-15 seconds. If your gluing 10 tubes it gives you enough time to press the tubes down on to the wooden arch, same go's for the carboard supports. If thats the point you were getting at ?

#21 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:43 AM

Must indicate different hot melt glue or gun then! My glue stayed soft for 1 - 2 seconds. Literally only one tube could be stuck at a time. That's why I tried PVA.

Edited by Arthur Brown, 11 May 2008 - 11:44 AM.

http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#22 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:21 PM

Must indicate different hot melt glue or gun then! My glue stayed soft for 1 - 2 seconds. Literally only one tube could be stuck at a time.

IMO thats an advantage, you'll be able to get a cleaner finish. My glue gun is just a standard B&Q one with standard white sticks, as you've seen.

Edited by portfire, 11 May 2008 - 02:24 PM.

#23 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:57 AM

Thanks to someone over at APC, the tutorial is now available in a MUCH smaller to download pdf file

http://pyrotechnics....0tutorial_1.pdf

#24 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:19 PM

Here we go again, 120 Shot Z Mk2.

My fusing, flame protection is getting there. The first 2 rows both fired together, but there should have been a 4 second delay between them, they were both 'fire all' BTW.

Sequence should have been- 1st row, 'fire all' w/ Buell Reds, 4 second delay, 2nd row 'fire all' w/Veline yellow (It was actually Veline Red, but I subed the SrCO3 for Cryolite), then a 4 second delay before the cake went into Z mode, then the last row 'fire all' w/D1.

The stars were around 12mm rolled, changing effect 3 times, from Chrys#6-D1-to either red or yellow, came out quite nice I think, although they could have done with a couple more mm of Chrys#6.

Pre-fire

Posted Image Posted Image

Video
http://www.pyrobin.c... z cake mk2.mpg

It says 100 shot, but it's 120. (still got birdflu and the headache to suit :wacko: )

Anyway, I feel the teacher has become the student, Digger would you like to take the stage :P

#25 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:28 PM

Great cake! Really nice and I appreciate the amount of work that you must do to make it work well as it clearly does. Very well done, loved it! I have used those Veline modded Yellows, very nice colour from them. Still wanna see you make a rainbow cake! :rolleyes: If you do, Ill have at least 6 of them please!

#26 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:00 PM

Anyway, I feel the teacher has become the student, Digger would you like to take the stage :P

Thanks Portfire although I would not go quite that far, your cakes look exceptionally professional. I have to say thanks for the talk you gave at the convention, it gave me a few ideas on improving my cakes. I do like the speed at which the rows fire using your fusing method and I especially like the fire at once rows (You may see that coming to one of my cakes soon).

Well here is a cake that I put together for the show (300 shot).

Posted Image

The following formula were used to produce 12.5mm pumped (star plate) stars for the cake

Winokur 31, Ellern electric streamer, Veline green +3% Ti, Veline red +3% Ti, Veline Maroon, Perigrin Orange #3, 1 gram flash salutes +10% Ti, 2 gram flash salutes. I am sure there was one more, but I forget what it was without looking at my records.

So CLICK HERE to see the results (thanks to another forum member for the footage, you know who you are).

Well I have a plan for the next one, it may be a bit different so watch this space!!.

Digger

Edited by digger, 17 June 2008 - 06:05 PM.

Phew that was close.

#27 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:04 PM

Oh wow, both these cakes look great. I really have nothing else to say except, keep up the great work.

#28 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:57 PM

i had the pleasure of seeing both these cakes in action :) and check them out pre firing and they are a work of art taking many many hours to build, a real labour of love id say!, may i ask how you made your tubes digger? they looked/ felt very strong for there wall thickness

#29 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:40 PM

Yes, was there too and can confirm the effect was superb!

Very even firing and great colour saturation.

Theres more footage of it at the end of my video of the evening at:

Youtube

Not so complete as the other, but a bit closer.

Love one of the youtube comments - "wow, I wonder where i can buy these " - if only he knew!
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#30 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:49 PM

i had the pleasure of seeing both these cakes in action :) and check them out pre firing and they are a work of art taking many many hours to build, a real labour of love id say!, may i ask how you made your tubes digger? they looked/ felt very strong for there wall thickness

Yep they sure take some time to build, you asked how long the cake took me to build at the show. Well as you know everything apart from the fuse was done from scratch, after having a think about it the total build time for that cake was 30 hours!!

As to how I roll the tubes, I simply take a sheet of A4 160gm colour card (thicker and more absorbent than white) and cut in half down the length then using a mix of 75% PVA 25% Water I roll one half over a stainless steel mandrel. Hey presto a tube. When dry I plug them using bentonite in the usual way. For my rocket tubes I use the same process the only difference apart from the 26mm ID instead of 14mm ID for the cake is that I add a second layer over a dried first layer to give a wall thickness of 2mm and not one CATO with them yet. I have pushed the casings to nearly 4Kg of thrust although on the vid at these levels the casing starts to balloon at the end of the burn.
Phew that was close.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users