110 replies to this topic

#76 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 03:44 PM

Hows a 2x4'3/4" sheet of MDF for ya? Yes it will be heavy, While planning the 600 shot Digger did some calcs, this was on 15mmID tubes and it came in at around 20kg! I'm looking at 30-35kg total B)
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#77 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 06:34 PM

Ok time to "bump" this thread

Some people may remember me talking about the 600 shot "monster"...Well it's now going to be a 1000 shot monster and will probably the largest cake I will ever make (D ;) ). Also the "adventure" was suppose to start in a earlier issue of 'Spark' but due to a few probs with my PC, I was unable to make it. Sooooo the next issue will see the start of the "monster"

One catch though, you will have to be a FULL member to see it's progress (one reason to join!) The only info you will see here is the effects,pic and vid-THATS it.

A thousand shot cake, now I call that ambitious!

I have been thinking myself of something on similar lines, not as many shots but varying the bore size from say ½” to 2” with the right timing and effects it could be spectacular.

Did I hear somebody say cake wars?

Edited by fflach, 03 April 2010 - 06:52 PM.

Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

#78 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 07:02 PM

Ambitious yes, realistic yes! It's more of a technical exercise for me than anything else really.

Cake wars was a bit of banter between me and Digger a while ago....But if your up for the real thing mate?

1000. yeah!!! Not all constructive but hey. Was expecting confetti :rolleyes:

Edited by portfire, 03 April 2010 - 07:07 PM.

#79 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 07:12 PM

Add me to the competition of cakes lol
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#80 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:00 PM

Thats 2...Be warned, mine will bite hehe

#81 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:19 PM

Cant wait lol, let the show begin and hope all goes well and ultimately works lol.

#82 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:12 PM

I have a rather spctacular cake plan which I will also keep secret.

In the situation where I get rather a lot more disposible income than I have now, perhaps my cake plan might become a reality.

It will be conservative in tube count, but every tube will pack quite a punch ;)
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#83 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:38 PM

I must admit I don't have the time for cake making at the moment, but do try to look at the construction of those I fire...

One of my current Cat 3 favourites is SP Fireworks' Exodus, 1.25Kg NEQ, 29mm bore, 64 shot, 9Kg Net shipping. It's arranged in an 8*8 row-at-once volley and fires over about 35s in total.

Posted Image

The evenly spaced tubes are mines with bombettes (red, lilac, orange, silver crackle), the wider spaced rows include large red and green crossettes in the centre, left and right.

It's great as a finale with a few shells above - I'd estimate a horizontal spread of 50m or so. One day I'll make a cake this good!

#84 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:35 AM

I think the hardest part of a cake is rolling the tubes as the layout and fusing are pretty easy and straight forward, nice cakes on your youtube channel btw. To get them simple layout patterns is all you need to do is build a vice the same shape as the cake and cut some paper or card to the same shape but keep the size to the inner size of the cake vice. Place the piece of paper down in the vice and get a load of tubes, dump them in glue and lay them out and repeat. Once each layer is done just align them up with a stick or by hand and leave to dry, only glue the sides of the tubes that are touching the paper or card and not the tops as you need to fuse each section.

Doing this assures you that each tube is aligned perfectly with the subsequent tubes below.

#85 CCH Concepts

CCH Concepts

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 02:04 PM

this year for fireworks night i am thinking of doing a 100 shot, 10x10 cake. im thinking 1" id and 6 inch long tubes.

im thinking of switching from fan to uprights and back as the cake goes through.

so whats thoughts do people have, advice and suggestions for inserts.

at the moment im thinking of comets, bombetts, also maybe trying hummers and crossetts.

thoughts?

#86 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:33 PM

this year for fireworks night i am thinking of doing a 100 shot, 10x10 cake. im thinking 1" id and 6 inch long tubes.

im thinking of switching from fan to uprights and back as the cake goes through.

so whats thoughts do people have, advice and suggestions for inserts.

at the moment im thinking of comets, bombetts, also maybe trying hummers and crossetts.

thoughts?

Another effect that can be very nice from those sized tubes is 'micro-mines'.
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#87 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:10 PM

Why dont you try whirlwinds to reports or whirlwinds to shells etc or dragons to shells and vice versa. Maybe even a two tier mine say, first low layer crackle, second layer appearing immediately after of peony stars or chrysanthemum stars with coloured tips and then a tailed shell with a peony or chrysanthemum shell with inner flying fish etc. One impressive cake would be for each tail on the shell to have whistles with mines like mentioned above containing crackles and loud large bursts going in quick order for a nice finale piece to a display.

#88 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:49 PM

Why dont you try whirlwinds to reports or whirlwinds to shells etc or dragons to shells and vice versa. Maybe even a two tier mine say, first low layer crackle, second layer appearing immediately after of peony stars or chrysanthemum stars with coloured tips and then a tailed shell with a peony or chrysanthemum shell with inner flying fish etc. One impressive cake would be for each tail on the shell to have whistles with mines like mentioned above containing crackles and loud large bursts going in quick order for a nice finale piece to a display.

Now I call that inspired Pyrotechnist!
Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

#89 CCH Concepts

CCH Concepts

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:15 PM

very inspired and I'm thinking why beyond my first proper cake. i was thinking a nicely engineered cake, good timing and some nice effects.

i would be very interested in some advice on the structure of inserts. i did try bag mines before, by loosely rapping micro stars and crackle in clinflim with lift beneath but that was a bit of a disaster, more cato than anything else.

#90 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:39 AM

thank you! I just place the stars on top of the bp lift and then the shell and all seems to work fine. For dragons they are just a fountain type tube so for instance they have a clay plug with a nozzle then the lift comp with added Ti for a long spark trail and then more clay with a time fuse and then the shell contents and more clay as an end plug. Whirlwinds are explained in turbo pyro etc and are just tubes with holes on the sides to make it spin around etc etc if I remember right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users