#61 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:11 AM

but why wait for the next event to join

I'm trying to use all my subtle powers to persuade them to start planning another event! ( said with tounge in cheek.)

But, generally - thats my point- if the society is hosting popular events, that is going to generate a lot of momentum, more people will want to join etc.

Hence the comment. :lol:

But yeah, I'm happy to join anytime.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#62 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:54 AM

I'm trying to use all my subtle powers to persuade them to start planning another event! ( said with tounge in cheek.)

But, generally - thats my point- if the society is hosting popular events, that is going to generate a lot of momentum, more people will want to join etc.

Hence the comment. :lol:

But yeah, I'm happy to join anytime.

Don't get me wrong, I completely see where your coming from, but these events take time to prepare, just how much time and the logistics involved is question for the admin team.

Maybe a group of people could be put together for organizing smaller UKPS events

Edited by portfire, 11 May 2008 - 11:56 AM.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#63 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:02 PM

For the UKPS to organise an event, home produced devices cannot happen! The society exists to get a legal way for enthusiastic and competent people to make fireworks lawfully. As such the society cannot condone or support the manufacture of illegal devices.

How many people really want to go to an event where only pro-manufactured and classified items may be spoken of?

Privately groups may meet to attend public shows, or private parties. Go and organise something!
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#64 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:40 PM

For the UKPS to organise an event, home produced devices cannot happen! The society exists to get a legal way for enthusiastic and competent people to make fireworks lawfully. As such the society cannot condone or support the manufacture of illegal devices.

I completely agree Arthur, my point was that we could have small events that follow the procedures the UKPS use for their events. Doing it lawfully, and having the right people on hand, talks/demos could be given, BUT these events will not show people what the society is about nor what it's doing for them. This is why people HAVE to attend UKPS events.

#65 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:21 PM

The society exists to get a legal way for enthusiastic and competent people to make fireworks lawfully.

But is that the sole purpose of the Pyro Society?

The statement from the first page is that - the pyro society " exists to represent the heritage, science, history and art of pyrotechnics in the United Kingdom. "

I have always got the impression that the goal of the Pyro Society was to cover a wide range of pyro topics?

Personally, I have no interest whatsoever in making fireworks. But I AM interested in Heritage, History, and the Art of fireworks.

#66 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 08:32 PM

Just to add to the merryment, I would observe that a year's membership costs less than most people pay for a round of drinks - I'd pay that just for access to this forum, let alone all the other things that are happening...
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#67 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 08:44 PM

I'd pay that just for access to this forum

Merryment aside- thats actually a very good point. The Pyro society provides a very good forum.

Edited by David, 11 May 2008 - 08:45 PM.

#68 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:32 PM

I shall add my numerous thoughts on this tomorrow for some clarification.

#69 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:46 PM

I shall add my numerous thoughts on this tomorrow for some clarification.

Cool, thanks.

Just to be clear- I think the best way is to sum up my thoughts in a question-

What sort of events (if any) can we expect to see the Pyro Society organising in the future?

The Big Ears event was obviously a great success- top stuff. I was thinking that future similar events would be a great way to attract new members to the Pyro Society.

Edited by David, 11 May 2008 - 09:59 PM.

#70 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:05 PM

Yeah! what I think the Pyro Society should do now is plan the next one- build on the momentum , so to speak. Given that this one was such a success, I'm sure that a similar event would see more pyros turning up, more people joining up etc- and that could really blossom! So, good stuff!

Generally the convention-style events with a day of lectures and a reasonably large organised display take place once a year, and we supplement the calendar with other events. For example this August we are planning a social gathering and marquee at the Firework Champions event at Stanford Hall. We also try to organise 'Meet the UKPS' events and encourage networking.

I will definatly join as soon as I attend an event! I'm not techno-phobic, of course, its just that I like to do things face to face. :D

I think its a question of (to paraphrase JFK ) - Ask not what you can do for the pyro society , ask what the society can do for you! If people see lots of benefits to being a member- ie invites to interesting and regular events- then people will have a real incentive to join, I think.

In reality it is a question of what our members can do for the society. We rely on a lot of our members getting involved to make things happen. Encouraging people to play an active role in organising events and getting involved in our work is absolutely essential. I think we can all agree on that.

But is that the sole purpose of the Pyro Society?

The statement from the first page is that - the pyro society " exists to represent the heritage, science, history and art of pyrotechnics in the United Kingdom. "

I have always got the impression that the goal of the Pyro Society was to cover a wide range of pyro topics?

Personally, I have no interest whatsoever in making fireworks. But I AM interested in Heritage, History, and the Art of fireworks.

It is true that one of our main aims is to establish the amteur pyrotechnics scene in the UK, but clearly we have other goals, as outlined in our documents of incorporation, and as briefly outlined on our soon to be expanded web pages. Heritage is particulary important given the decline of the UK manufacturing industry in the last couple of decades. Promoting fireworks and pyrotechnics in a positive light, and in a way that connects with the general public is very important for us. We are not a trade association, we exist to represent people from all walks of life who have an interest in the subject.

#71 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:36 PM

For example this August we are planning a social gathering and marquee at the Firework Champions event at Stanford Hall.

Thats an excellent idea. When I was at that event in 2004 there was little for the crowd to do before the show started, and nothing related to fireworks. so yeah- I think that would be great.

#72 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:49 PM

Exactly. The whole idea of the Society (amongst other things of course) is to support us Pyro's who are dedicated to the art. It would be nice to know how many members of the forum who post, and are from the uk, BUT are not fully registered members of the UKPS. I know how many registered members they are, and quite frankly, It's shocking!!

I know this has been said, but come on guys!!! I love what I do with a passion, and can honestly say I have BlackPowder in my blood. If you feel the same, join the UKPS!!

Sure, you could say I do have a passion for Fireworks, but why should I join? Simple, come to these events as a non-member, if you wish, and you'll see/hear exactly what the UKPS is all about

I was wondering how many full members there are ,compared to the forum membership,?

#73 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 09:22 AM

I was wondering how many full members there are ,compared to the forum membership,?

Well hopfully their should be more now, but It was 40! I know they are members from different countries who greatly contribute to the forum, but would not gain anything from becoming full members of the UKPS, (unless you want to support us UK pyro's :P ) It's the UK members that will !

#74 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 05:30 PM

Well hopfully their should be more now, but It was 40! I know they are members from different countries who greatly contribute to the forum, but would not gain anything from becoming full members of the UKPS, (unless you want to support us UK pyro's :P ) It's the UK members that will !

If i am correct we have 4500 forum members,and fifty UKPS members ! Come on everybody pay your fees and sign up !
Would it not work to have a subsciption to the forum which would also include UKPS membership.

You could still let people have resticted access but no posting etc.

Just my thoughts,what do you all think ?

Regards.

#75 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 06:25 PM

If i am correct we have 4500 forum members,and fifty UKPS members ! Come on everybody pay your fees and sign up !
Would it not work to have a subsciption to the forum which would also include UKPS membership.

You could still let people have resticted access but no posting etc.

Just my thoughts,what do you all think ?

Regards.

don't really think thats a good idea! the 4500 members seam to be made up of people joining the forum over the years with many not seen for years, also a lot of members are from all around the world(just shows what a great forum this is) stopping these people from posting would cut off a rich source of information/experiences

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users