• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#46 Bowerz

Bowerz

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:01 PM

thanx for the comments, ive been working on her on and off for about two years, looking at the logbook she came over to blighty in the early seventies and has had seventeen different owners and boy you can tell, ho i also restore model steam engines for kicks! this ones an early bowman, sat on the new baseboard of my model railway project!!!!!! [list=1][/list]Posted Image

I forgot to add, i have a huge collection of steam models, and have a licence for a steam roller and traction engine! I also have 2 vintage tractors and am partial to a bit of competition ploughing, but thats only 1 or 2 weekends a year so not a "real" hobby as such.

#47 Bowerz

Bowerz

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:04 PM

this topic always gets me exited...........where do i start....

okay, from a young age, i enjoyed electronics.....mainly building transformers, rectifiers, tesla coils, carbon arc devices....that type of thing.

i also have a passion for anything involving ropes....started with indoor rock climbing, then abseiling, then bridge swinging...

power kiting is another one of my past times. as is sking - later this year, i plan to adapt these two into a newer hobby. kite sking...should be good....my ski-resort sees winds upto 80Mph.....i'll be using my smallest kite - 3m span.....i think that should create enough pull - i'll only need 20ish MPH to begin with.

Motorsport - mainly the building and driving parts....

there are others.......but i keep those quiet !

They have already invented that, in the resort we go some guy caught so much air he litterally flew down the mountain!

#48 Bowerz

Bowerz

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:06 PM

is it me? or are things a bit slow on the forums these days, anyway here's some steam engines to look at if there's enough interest ill fire a few up, press here :)

I could swear one of them is a Wilseco, one of the D models, you mayof said it in the vid, i only had a quick glance and i don't have the sound working on my pc at the moment (it really needs fixing!).

#49 gandelff

gandelff

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:53 PM

i'm a locksmith by trade, but with the way works been latley(people just dont loose there keys as much now a days) it feels like a hobby,started out as one though, the final click of the lock when you oick it still gets me to this day!!

#50 MrFinster

MrFinster

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:32 PM

well, i mess around with various vst audio toys and synths, i home brew on the odd occaision and try to strangle the odd tune out of my guitar, but i spend a lot of time with a shovel in my hand digging victorian rubbish tips for old bottles and pot lids, (not in hudds though!, kirklees are a bit funny about it). sometimes i even sell the odd one if its a good un, its harder to dig during the day now as too many clueless people with a mobile phone and no common sense think your digging badgers and call the old bill.

starting to to take my dalliance with pyro as a young un a little more earnestly.

#51 defective

defective

NO VICE :(

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:12 AM

Bosh...!!! Hardcore!!! :D

ME THREEEEEEEEE!

i also love dirty hard house and nrg (grady g style) and i am starting to produce myself.

do you have any tracks i could listen to or use on a demo????????????????
" baarweep granaar veep ninibon "

#52 oli

oli

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:47 PM

Paintball mostly, marshalling and playing in some tournaments. I also at the weekends enjoy sailing (squib class) and tennis.

#53 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:06 AM

sailing (squib class) and tennis.

A type of sailing is also a type of firework! :)
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#54 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:58 AM

A type of sailing is also a type of firework! smile.gif

You think like me!

As for other hobbies... I like to climb trees. I know most people grow out of it when they hit puberty. Not me. Is it unrelated to pyro?? Not always. Sometimes I cut the tree down for charcoal.

I do lots of things other than pyro, but spend very little time on them. With Sleep, pyro, university, pyro, thinking about pyro and the other necessities of life taking up the hours, what time do I have to do them in?
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#55 TrueBluePyro

TrueBluePyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:06 AM

G'day everyone,

my main hobby is pyrotechnics, if I'm not doing it, i'll be thinking about it, it's pritty much all I do, though I do like to mess around with R/C things aswell sometimes. Such as nitro fueled car, if anyone knows about this kind of stuff its a Mammoth XT.....it is well, not working at them moment but anyway. Soon I want to buy a R/C helicopter, I have one, but it is more like a training one and I am now moving onto "bigger and better" things, lol.

But anyway, I love pyro, and would like to get legal some how, but...I'm not sure how to? I've been doing pyro for a while ( a few years). It is easy for me beacuse I live on a big property so I can let off really any sized shell a walks away.

Oh well this was my first post on this UK pyro site, hope i'm welcomed, not as a noob, lol

EDIT: oh yeah, if you want to see a "little" part of what I have done, just have a look at my youtube account, its in my sig' thanks fellas.

Edited by TrueBluePyro, 23 April 2009 - 09:08 AM.

#56 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:52 PM

But anyway, I love pyro, and would like to get legal some how, but...I'm not sure how to?

Well, there are some training courses run through this forum, by forum users. I think these have been successul in the past. Also, more generally, have a good look through the forums- I know there is a lot of them, but yeah- some really useful information.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#57 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:52 AM

TrueBlue

If you are serious about pyro (long term) then getting legal shouldn't be too hard. You are one of a few Australian forum members, can you meet up with the others? Can you get experience of legal fireworks? Working as a shooter for a legal company is a great way of getting the right experience and getting well known as competent.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#58 TrueBluePyro

TrueBluePyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:33 AM

Well, there are some training courses run through this forum, by forum users. I think these have been successul in the past. Also, more generally, have a good look through the forums- I know there is a lot of them, but yeah- some really useful information.

Yeah thanks mate, i'll go have a look around

TrueBlue

If you are serious about pyro (long term) then getting legal shouldn't be too hard. You are one of a few Australian forum members, can you meet up with the others? Can you get experience of legal fireworks? Working as a shooter for a legal company is a great way of getting the right experience and getting well known as competent.

Yes, I am very serious about pyro, and I do know a fair few Australian pyros (not legal, I dont think anyway). But I want to be able to make and store fireworks I make, such as:

- Make and store 1Kg batches of black powder
- Small amounts of flash powder (for boosters)
- 3" shells, bigger or smaller.

I have the land to do all of this, about 6,500 acres, and I can get a magazine (is that what they call it) so I have the space, but not sure about the money, I know its going to cost alot, soo, yeah, how much?? abouts?

But I wouldnt mind working for a company. In a few weeks, I might be able to set up (not sure about shooting) a fireworks show in my small town. But I am only 15 years old, do you think that they would let me atleast set up a show, like set up the racks and place the shells in the tubes and of course with my parents consensent.

#59 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:13 PM

I have no idea what the labour and explosives laws are in Australia (in the UK you must by LAW be 18years or older to handle fireworks)

Look for a local (by your standards!) firework firing company and do some work for them as teaboy and general helper til they know and trust you to do bigger things. Get lots of experience of ALL the work that goes into presenting a good show.

Slowly you will meet all the important people in the business in your area. As you get known by the respected firers, and the health and safety people, and the explosives control people in your county/state etc then the contacts will slowly fall into place for you to apply for a small factory unit.

Buy a notebook -nice hardback one if you can! Write in it every show that you work on, and what you did. Keep the book up to date, it is the logbook of experience that says to a company that you have some experience, and hence value to them on a site.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#60 knackers

knackers

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 01:08 AM

there are quite a few display companies in Australia that run coarses, " crackerjack is one "
the cost is $2500 au and runs for 12 weeks, upon compleation of the coarse you recieve accreditation from them, and then have to apply to work cover for your qualified certificate, ( as far as i know you must be 18 ) and this will only allow you to set up and fire at shows, design and fire your own shows, and store professionaly manufactured fireworks in a secured magazine keeping within work cover guidlines,

it does not however enable you to manufacture your own devices, only fire professionaly manufactured ones

the display company you do your coarse with will give you the opertunity to work for them " for no or very minimal wage on their shows until you gain enough experience to do their shows for them and / or design your own and therefore become a freelance pyrotechnic contractor

the display companies only run 2 or 3 coarses per year, and only in the colder months, for obvious bushfire reasons, its not cheap in Australia to put on a display due to the fire safety requirements

i hope this helps,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users