240 replies to this topic

#16 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:12 PM

Sorry Im a little confused, What is the cost of the course if one person attends?

What is the duration of the course? and where is it beinging held?

This is a mail Arthur sent me

"The course costs £800 + £20 per person so we divi that up between us

So at 6 its £160 at 10 its £100."

I believe the course is at our disposal, and also an appropriate venue. It's just a matter of getting the numbers up to spread the cost
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#17 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:41 PM

I said I'd be interested if the course dropped to around the £100 mark.

I can't justify spending more than that on something that really will only be of academic interest.

There are no courses that give pyros what they really want (the ability to organise, purchase and fire a CAT 4 display) as it's all tied up with storage, transport and insurance and only the big companies can provide this.

25 years ago, I'd place an order with Kimbolton (for lots of good stuff including three and four inch shells) set it up at the local vicarage garden and fire the display to the general approval of an audience of 200 odd. No messing about required. Did this for about 10 years, no accidents, no claims no problems.

Sadly all the courses available can not make this possible today...
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#18 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:54 PM

I can't justify spending more than that on something that really will only be of academic interest.

There are no courses that give pyros what they really want (the ability to organise, purchase and fire a CAT 4 display) as it's all tied up with storage, transport and insurance and only the big companies can provide this.

Phil, in my (very limited) experience, paid training has already helped me.

Having completed a foundation Cat 4 course to BPA 1, I can access certain time saving supplies not previously available to me and a few smaller items (certainly not shells) for immediate use at specified events.

The conditions for purchase of small quantities of 'proper Cat 4' are reasonable enough - that I find some storage and insurance. Arthur is well on his way to arranging both and I see no reason why a few of us here shouldn't train up to the highest level available and share insurance costs.

I can't afford to keep spending 7+ hours of time on each shell making them myself :)

Edited by BrightStar, 17 May 2008 - 10:15 PM.

#19 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 11:31 PM

Well you can count me in for the course if it ever goes ahead.
Phew that was close.

#20 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 12:44 AM

We can have a course almost any time we want! It covers everything from storage and startup to show management and risk assessment to stock planning etc, and doing the firing too! The course takes 12 hours and has an exam to pass.

With Icarus approval we could do the theory at a nearby pub then the practical at his place, possibly at an autumn meetup.

Someone please start a list of names here of everyone who is interested, then people, please copy and paste the list adding your name.

If we get to 12 interested people then I will propose a date and allowing for some dropouts it shouldn't be over £150 each. If all 12 then it's cheaper!.

Access to pro fireworks now requires training, insurance and storage, one down and no seller should supply you cat 4 stuff. Some while ago I came by this trainer, he was the preferred trainer of the insurance company, who said that BPA 1 & 2 were insufficient for being the insured proprietor of a fireworks company.

SO start that list! we divi up £800 + £20pp among the attenders. plus lunch!
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#21 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:21 AM

Brightstar

Take your point and apologies for my inherent scepticism!

Maybe if you had a moment, you could PM me and tell me what advantages you have got from your training so far...

Anyway, as I said I'm certainly up for this course and would set my ceiling at £150.

Not sure if this is the best way to keep track of it, but by all means cut and paste this posting with your names if you are up for the course:

1) Arthur Brown
2) Phil Dunford
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#22 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:32 AM

Well we know where I stand, also if you could drop me a PM aswel please BrightStar, or forward one to the interested people. If thats ok with you that is

1) Arthur Brown
2) Phil Dunford
3) Dean-portfire

#23 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:36 AM

Where is the cat 4 course being held? and how long will it last? are there exams at the end of it?

I might be interested for £100 but I can`t justify paying much more!

#24 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:59 AM

Where is the cat 4 course being held? and how long will it last? are there exams at the end of it?

I might be interested for £100 but I can`t justify paying much more!

All details are in this thread. 10 dedicated, and your looking at £150, 12 and it will be less. If you ask me, for what your getting it's worth every penny!

#25 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 12:11 PM

Just curious, what is the nature of the exam? Is it multiple choice, case studies, practical etc?

Edited by David, 18 May 2008 - 12:12 PM.

OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#26 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 01:12 PM

Just curious, what is the nature of the exam? Is it multiple choice

Same here. Though I should imagine the theory side should cover all aspects of what you need to pass

#27 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:32 PM

Same here. Though I should imagine the theory side should cover all aspects of what you need to pass

Yeah, I'm studying for CPC exams at the moment (useful for running a driving business) and it is surprising what they expect you to know. I would imagine that the fireworks paper is pretty similar. Legal and safety issues, good practice, employment and contract law etc maybe.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#28 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:52 PM

The course was specifically developed to meet the needs of interested people who want to be the principal of a fireworks firing company. It covers business all the way to fusing and firing in theory and practical work. The exam is a definitely NON-TRIVIAL essential to passing the course and covers all aspects trained.

If the list grows past 10 then I'll organise a date and venue then we see who drops out!

As one (of the two!) insurers told me - this is the ONLY course that teaches all you need to run a fireworks company! BPA 1 & 2 so far only teach you how to be an employed firer.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#29 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:13 PM

1) Arthur Brown
2) Phil Dunford
3) Dean-portfire
4) Digger Barnes
Phew that was close.

#30 Firework Crazy

Firework Crazy

Firework Crazy

• UKPS Advertisers
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:53 AM

Hi All,

If this is the course I think it is, then I can tell you now it is worth the money. It will give you a great insight into many aspects of operating a display company covering lots of different areas such as the fireworks themselves, fusing, storage, classification, transport, insurance, site surveys, risk assessments..... the list is endless, it really is a great course!

Edited by mdj101, 19 May 2008 - 12:55 AM.

Regards.

Mark

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users