31 replies to this topic

#1 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:15 AM

Has anyone been to great Northern recently? I went a few times last year, but not recently- They have a very big new range (or rather, was a big new range for 2007). Some good stuff! Also they do mega deals, which are basically lines at about 25% of RRP. To be honest, though, given the strong local competition I think their prices are a touch too high.

But all in all, its a very good shop , always well stocked and well run- fireworks are labelled with accurate descriptions etc. Their website is run by themselevs, so is up to date.

Slightly unfortunate that they don't open on Saturdays.

Edited by David, 10 May 2008 - 10:16 AM.

OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#2 screwball

screwball

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:13 AM

Has anyone been to great Northern recently? I went a few times last year, but not recently- They have a very big new range (or rather, was a big new range for 2007). Some good stuff! Also they do mega deals, which are basically lines at about 25% of RRP. To be honest, though, given the strong local competition I think their prices are a touch too high.

But all in all, its a very good shop , always well stocked and well run- fireworks are labelled with accurate descriptions etc. Their website is run by themselevs, so is up to date.

Slightly unfortunate that they don't open on Saturdays.

i used to go there every year for ALL my fireworks , then i joined UKFR.com and suddenly relised that i didnt have to pay those kinds of prices for my fireworks and to be honest i havnt been back since even though im fairly local to them

however if they have lines at 75% off it may well be worth my while going back over to have a look again

unless the "mega deals" your refering to is the one they list on thier webpage in which case the highest discount i see is around 50% and notihng on that page takes my fancy (at the moment)

#3 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 01:52 PM

however if they have lines at 75% off it may well be worth my while going back over to have a look again

Last year they had some decent deals on the web page that were 50% off, because they were selling off some old/discontinued stock.

Edited by David, 10 May 2008 - 01:54 PM.

#4 screwball

screwball

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 03:54 PM

Last year they had some decent deals on the web page that were 50% off, because they were selling off some old/discontinued stock.

yeh i recall those ..there were getting shut of a lot of thier stock that had flash powder in them ready for this years new regs but to be honest its rare these days that i pay full retail for anything firework wise and 50 or 60% off is quite normal though discounts have to be taken into consideration with other things like levels of stock or choice of brands and customer service plus delivery etc

#5 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 12:41 AM

I think thats right, yeah. They have some great looking stuff but personally I can't really justify spending that much money on individual items.

I'm not trying to suggest that they are ripping people off, of course, its just that we all have our own personal budgets, and spend what we are comfortable with.

#6 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:12 PM

Well, they have a new catalogue coming out on August 1st - probably some interesting new lines, too.

#7 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 04:00 PM

yeh i recall those ..there were getting shut of a lot of thier stock that had flash powder in them ready for this years new regs but to be honest its rare these days that i pay full retail for anything firework wise and 50 or 60% off is quite normal though discounts have to be taken into consideration with other things like levels of stock or choice of brands and customer service plus delivery etc

Fireworks are no longer using flash? if so what will they be using in place as black powder isn't all to powerful in such small devices.
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#8 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 04:15 PM

Fireworks are no longer using flash? if so what will they be using in place as black powder isn't all to powerful in such small devices.

Last year there was a lot of talk of new regulations that meant unless a firework only had 5% or less flash per tube it would be subject to stricter storage and transportation laws, effectivly removing them from the market. But apparantly these rules can be got round now by using a different type of packaging "pyromesh." It is all a little confused.

#9 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:41 AM

They have some new lines, not much new stuff though compared with last year- most notable is the Tubo Box, firing 10 shots a second, but prices are a touch "ouch!"

They also talk of "never before seen silver horses tails" so that might be an interesting new effect.

I might call in some time, its just that driving in Leeds city centre scares me. :D

#10 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:52 AM

If silver horses tails are what I think they are, I saw them in an Imperial Cat 4 cake about 4-5 years ago.

They are basically shortish burning brocade stars that are in a cylinder, like a cylinder shell and they are gently burst out of only one end of the tube so each unit produces something like a horses tail or a pony tail on a womans hair. A nice gentle effect that probably was brought in because of the Flashpowder regs. I assume they are BP burst..
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#11 screwball

screwball

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:10 AM

I might call in some time, its just that driving in Leeds city centre scares me. :D

you dont need to drive through the city center to get there just go on the inner ring road instead

#12 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:17 AM

you dont need to drive through the city center to get there just go on the inner ring road instead

I always manage to get hopelessly lost!

Edited by David, 01 August 2008 - 11:18 AM.

#13 screwball

screwball

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:22 AM

I always manage to get hopelessly lost!

if you go through the center its no wonder LOL i know people that have lived near leeds for decades and even they wont drive through the center , look on google earth or google map and look for the inner ring road way to them .much faster and 10 min job and avoid the M621 as thats officialy the worst moterway in the country for accidents

#14 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:26 AM

if you go through the center its no wonder LOL i know people that have lived near leeds for decades and even they wont drive through the center , look on google earth or google map and look for the inner ring road way to them .much faster and 10 min job and avoid the M621 as thats officialy the worst moterway in the country for accidents

I do always try and follow what looks like a pretty simple root on the ring road- Crown point road, regent street etc, but "on the ground" its really difficult. IE the map might say " Great Wilson Street " but the roadsigns will only say A61 Wetherby , etc, its really tricky to follow whislt driving in city traffic, too! B)

#15 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:29 AM

They look to have some decent stuff- They stock mostly their own Planet brand, some good fan cakes there, as well as some of the Brother's range that isn't actually part of the other UK Brothers range (if that makes sense?) Eg PlutoNick, Aquarius, Crazy Creatures etc.

They also have some very fast firing fans- Turbo Box/Rainbow turbo box.

Only issue, as always, is the prices- their discount is only if you pay in advance and collect before November 5th- its 20% free fireworks (until end of August), which is equivalent to 16.6% off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users