31 replies to this topic

#16 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:50 PM

normally (apart from when we have our birthday celebration discount) if you are able to buy something at half price all the time then the full price is meaningless :)

#17 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:25 PM

if you are able to buy something at half price all the time then the full price is meaningless :)

I know what you mean, but I am confused as to why that comment is on a thread about Great Northern? Their full price is the price they sell for, apart from occassional end of line offers and buy-early-pay-now-deliver-later discounts.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#18 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:52 PM

You were commenting that their prices were too high and that they rarely discount, I was merely suggesting that perhaps large permanent discounts offered from other suppliers are perhaps only disguising an overpriced item in the first place :)

#19 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:37 PM

You were commenting that their prices were too high and that they rarely discount, I was merely suggesting that perhaps large permanent discounts offered from other suppliers are perhaps only disguising an overpriced item in the first place :)

Ah, yes, I see what you mean. But no, I wouldn't say that is the case, to be honest. Planet is a good range- but pricey. They arn't inflated, as such, just high. That said, from what I see other brands are upping their prices a lot this year- Men Shun have prices rises alongside less shots , and TNTs are much higher.

The best brand for value-for-money-at-RRP I would say is Fireworks International.

Edited by David, 12 August 2008 - 08:45 PM.

#20 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:53 AM

lol, I didn't mean that Great Northerns prices were inflated David - I meant the brands you always see discounted have inflated RRP(anyone ever bought Menshun at full rrp?)

#21 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:54 AM

(Editted fully to remove discussion about Men shun I posted which was a bit pointless in retrospect.) (( David ))

For me personnally, the most I like to spend on an individual firework is about £25 - I will spend a bit more, usually for a finale piece, if there is something I really like the look of. But with Planet most of their "big stuff" is £50 and upwards, I'm uncomfortable spending that much on indivdual fireworks.

Or put another way, I'm yet to see an individual Cat 3 firework (from any brand) which I would honestly say is worth spending more than £50 on. This is of course just my personnal opinion.

Edited by David, 13 August 2008 - 12:05 PM.

#22 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:15 AM

I meant the brands you always see discounted have inflated RRP(anyone ever bought Menshun at full rrp?)

This probably belongs on the Men shun thread, but hey- it is here. :P

I wouldn't exactly say Men Shun's RRPs are inflated, as such, it is just that their effects tend to be a bit samey and recycled, relying on varied packaging rather than varied effects. I wouldn't buy Men Shun at full price.

At a RRP to RRP comparison Planet (Great Northern's Brand) is certainly better quality than Men Shun.

Planet's range does look good this year.

#23 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:38 AM

I wouldn't exactly say Men Shun's RRPs are inflated

if you never see an item being sold at it's full RRP then thats all you need to know :)

#24 screwball

screwball

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:35 AM

if you never see an item being sold at it's full RRP then thats all you need to know :)

ive seen Menshun for sale at full RRP on several sites including ones that are advertisers on another firework forum

#25 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:59 AM

well obviously I haven't been looking hard enough :)

#26 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 10:23 AM

ive seen Menshun for sale at full RRP on several sites including ones that are advertisers on another firework forum

Yeah, I've seen loads of places selling Men Shun at full RRP. There was a site that did the whole range at straight half price, but they are... gone. I know one that does it at a third off, one that does it as a buy one get one free but there are a few that sell it at full price.

Come to think of it, I don't actually know any shops that retail Men Shun at half the official RRP.

Edited by David, 19 August 2008 - 04:13 PM.

#27 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 12:35 AM

Their Cat 2 Zenith Cone was very impressive- perhaps the best Cat 2 I have seen this year. A bright white fountain, with a red flare and crackles at the end. Nice stuff!

#28 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 02:52 PM

Did anyone go to Great northern this year? I had a few from their range, I really enjoyed the Zenith Fountain and the PlutoNik- Aladins Cave was a pokey fan barrage, very bright at the start, with some nice colour, but no noticable "horses tails." I might have been standing in the wrong place!

#29 MiniChris

MiniChris

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:00 AM

I gave them a miss this year as they seemed over priced compared to epic, last year I had some Plutoniks which were fun and a tempest and all the old ammo store stuff :)

#30 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:56 AM

I gave them a miss this year as they seemed over priced compared to epic,

They stock a different range, though, to be fair. Things like the Turbo Box and Flutterby Invasion don't have comparable pieces for example.

Personally, I am unlikley to go to Great Northern again this year unless they have some tempting deals (they often do after bonfire night) - then I might.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users