56 replies to this topic

#31 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:28 AM

The UKPS will build future support for UK fireworks. As a not-for-profit company with no corporate bias, I can't imagine too many objections to promoting ourselves in stores. We just have to go about it the right way...

Yeah, good point. Thing is, at the moment there is a sometimes a perception (from those who have heard of it at all) that the Pyro Society is mainly a club for people who are interested in producing fireworks in the UK. This perception is largely correct! :)

But yeah- the important thing is making it clearly that this will be done safely, legally, and won't pose a threat to established businesses.

Edited by David, 28 July 2008 - 10:29 AM.

OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#32 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 03:11 PM

Yeah, good point. Thing is, at the moment there is a sometimes a perception (from those who have heard of it at all) that the Pyro Society is mainly a club for people who are interested in producing fireworks in the UK. This perception is largely correct! :)

But yeah- the important thing is making it clearly that this will be done safely, legally, and won't pose a threat to established businesses.

Exactly, The core aims of the UKPS should include some of the following:-

Start and increase the manufacter/science/innovation and artistic skills base of our country for firework making purposes.

Preserve the UK firework history & heritage.

Establish various small firework manufacturing bases via licensing in a safe environment according to an agreed code.

To be accountable in terms of safety and security to the authorities.

Promote the UKPS, and work with local communities.

Give skills & guidence to encourage small businesses who wish to produce and display UK manufactured fireworks.

Promote safety and awareness of fireworks in general.

To work with local authorities to establish firework firing areas away from private residential areas! - (some of these could be supervised).

Our future aims/goals should be something like:-

To build a National Firework School, where students can practice the art and science of firework making to gain a accredited qualifications (this could be linked to universities/colleges, or the `Open University` (my choice).

To have in place 6 national firework study centres spread across the country within 15 years.

#33 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 03:45 PM

To work with local authorities to establish firework firing areas away from private residential areas! - (some of these could be supervised).

This is actually a very good point, (and the rest of them) how many people fire cat3 fireworks from gardens which are more suited to cat2. Lets say someone is firing cat2 in there garden which is 10x10m, perfectly safe, now the next door neighbor (same size garden) is firing large cat3 and the other person gets hurt......

I think working with local authorities and organizing cat3 displays is a very good idea, people could pool their fireworks and have one big SAFE cat3 display.

On the subject of flyers/posters, I've found the UKPS logo on my pc :) I remember copying it from the old society main page. If anyone wants a copy, mail me and I'll send it on....I don't want my PM box filling up, so mail me on the address on my profile please :)

Dean
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#34 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 06:18 PM

Before anyone designs anything under the UKPS banner please ensure that you have permission to use the logoform and name.

Getting BAD publicity because of some mistake would be very counter productive.

Publicity is something that needs courting very cautiously it is far too easy to give the anti lobby more material to focus on. If a small group want to do publicity then get some design input from the committee and go from there.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#35 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 06:48 PM

Before anyone designs anything under the UKPS banner please ensure that you have permission to use the logoform and name.

Getting BAD publicity because of some mistake would be very counter productive.

Publicity is something that needs courting very cautiously it is far too easy to give the anti lobby more material to focus on. If a small group want to do publicity then get some design input from the committee and go from there.

Arthur, don't worry I know where you are coming from, and I had NO intentions of doing anything! without the consent of the committee...We all should be aware of this!

#36 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:10 AM

But it might be nice to hear from the committee as this seems to be a hot topic and there are many willing hands...
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#37 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:50 AM

Yes, were is the committee when we need them in here :).
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#38 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:24 PM

I dropped in to the local print shop today to get some costs.

From professional PDFs they could produce 3 * A1 full colour posters on 190gsm coated paper for £80 inc VAT. With a bit of help I'll be able to do the graphic design. This could be the starting point for a UKPS 'trade stand' for the various events.

Folding stands are expensive but we should be able to build something cheaper. I could find some lights etc and I'm sure we could put on a good show with a bit of imagination.

#39 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:30 PM

The Society has a corporate and legal structure. NOTHING should be done in the name of the Society without formal permission. Care must be used to use the correct aims and objectives as in the documents of incorporation. These were chosen at the time and are the definition of the society.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#40 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:48 PM

The Society has a corporate and legal structure. NOTHING should be done in the name of the Society without formal permission. Care must be used to use the correct aims and objectives as in the documents of incorporation. These were chosen at the time and are the definition of the society.

Are the `Documents of Incorporation` posted on this forum? or would we need to send a personal message to the administrators to obtain it?

#41 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:15 PM

The Society has a corporate and legal structure. NOTHING should be done in the name of the Society without formal permission.

Arthur, please calm down!

Of course we will seek approval and permisson from the comittee. Given that they are very busy, it seems expedient to explore options in advance so that we have something material to present for their consideration.

Edited by BrightStar, 29 July 2008 - 07:27 PM.

#42 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:25 PM

This is where we NEED the committee. We've got people willing to spend time and go out of their way to promote the society. What are we suppose to do, count on people typing Blackpowder or Flashpowder on www., then flame them once or twice, then try and guide them on the right path into the art, craft of this hobby.

We need to be out there promoting ourselves as a professional society, with keen interest to the main goals of the UKPS. As BrightStar suggested. A small stand at events promoting the UKPS is a great idea, and I'm sure a small gazebo, pasting table, with banners and the like would be good enough to start.....Sorry for ranting abit, but it would be nice to get some committee input, even if it's just some guidelines.

#43 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:36 PM

I think we need banners, leaflets, posters, information booklets, display stands, mini display stands and maybe in time T-Shirts and Hats promoting the UKPS and gaining them a little more money for the plans.
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#44 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:00 PM

NOTHING should be done in the name of the Society without formal permission.

I don't think anyone was suggesting any wild and maverick breakaway promotional drives without the Society's blessing! :D
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#45 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:12 PM

I am happy to provide copies of our logo to those who contact me and express an interest in designing some official merchandise on behalf of the society. I am interested to see what people can come up with off their own bat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users