121 replies to this topic

#76 exat808

exat808

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:53 PM

Funny enough, my boss at BMARC was Richard Topping, we were very close - I named our first child after him.

He was QAR at RARDE and principally responsible for putting the RARDEN round into service, it is his 70th birthday bash this evening and I should be with him, it is with great regret that I am not.

I think I have said in previous posts that sadly here in the UK the skills and knowledge at the higher levels of the explosives industry ( in all its guises) are rapidly diminishing. There are very few people within the industry at a younger age who will be able to diversify and rise to truly be able to be called "experts" in years to come. The enthusiasm showm by UKPS members should be chanelled to develop a continuing skilled pool of knowledge in the UK.
Went a bit off topic there - sorry but what I have stated are the cold hard facts.

#77 spectrum

spectrum

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 11:40 PM

I think I have said in previous posts that sadly here in the UK the skills and knowledge at the higher levels of the explosives industry ( in all its guises) are rapidly diminishing. There are very few people within the industry at a younger age who will be able to diversify and rise to truly be able to be called "experts" in years to come. The enthusiasm showm by UKPS members should be chanelled to develop a continuing skilled pool of knowledge in the UK.
Went a bit off topic there - sorry but what I have stated are the cold hard facts.

I understand what you are saying and the sentiments supporting your comments. There is a future and I am certain that this society will contribute to it.

#78 Firefiend

Firefiend

Martin

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:47 AM

Hi Spectrum

I just read your info on the Reliance Snap Co. with great interest. I've got one of their boxes of Indoor Fireworks but have not been able to find anything about the company. Your posting prompted me to search on Companies House which reveals the company was dissolved in 1994 RELIANCE SNAP COMPANY LIMITED The only way of finding our more would be to use their Archive Service to retrieve official documents.

The box came exactly as shown and has a nice lid to it. It's highly unusual for a box to include a wax taper so I don't know whether this was a later addition to the box by it's owner or a 'safety improvement' as only 15 of the 24 items remain. The Bengal torches are clearly marked O. Hunt on the reverse so these were bought in. The Mount Vesuvius is quite unusual with it's long paper twist rather than the more usual small silver paper cover. Also I'm certain the Smoking Tramp is made by Tabella as the same item is found in their Cottage Series boxes and once again this is either a later addition of something they bought in for Reliance boxes.

Reliance Snap Co. - Indoor Party Fireworks

#79 spectrum

spectrum

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:50 AM

Hi Spectrum

I just read your info on the Reliance Snap Co. with great interest. I've got one of their boxes of Indoor Fireworks but have not been able to find anything about the company. Your posting prompted me to search on Companies House which reveals the company was dissolved in 1994 RELIANCE SNAP COMPANY LIMITED The only way of finding our more would be to use their Archive Service to retrieve official documents.

The box came exactly as shown and has a nice lid to it. It's highly unusual for a box to include a wax taper so I don't know whether this was a later addition to the box by it's owner or a 'safety improvement' as only 15 of the 24 items remain. The Bengal torches are clearly marked O. Hunt on the reverse so these were bought in. The Mount Vesuvius is quite unusual with it's long paper twist rather than the more usual small silver paper cover. Also I'm certain the Smoking Tramp is made by Tabella as the same item is found in their Cottage Series boxes and once again this is either a later addition of something they bought in for Reliance boxes.

That is a superb piece of history Firefriend, really beautiful - the smoking tramp is something else! This seems to support my view that they probably held a toy firework factory licence. Out of interest where did you find it?

#80 Firefiend

Firefiend

Martin

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:09 AM

I won it on eBay for £25 back in January 2007. It's priced 2'9 on the side of the box, so definitely pre-1971. The seller was based in Poole in Dorset, so no connection with Bishops Stortford.

#81 spectrum

spectrum

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:44 AM

I won it on eBay for £25 back in January 2007. It's priced 2'9 on the side of the box, so definitely pre-1971. The seller was based in Poole in Dorset, so no connection with Bishops Stortford.

I'll give you £26!!!

#82 Firefiend

Firefiend

Martin

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:23 PM

I'll give you £26!!!

:)

#83 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:51 AM

Hi Spectrum

Firefiend,

Have you tried the hertfordshire archive & local studies group/museum

http://www.hertsdire...hthist3y/454418

http://www.hertsdire...heritage1/HALS/

#84 Firefiend

Firefiend

Martin

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:04 AM

Firefiend,

Have you tried the hertfordshire archive & local studies group/museum

http://www.hertsdire...hthist3y/454418

http://www.hertsdire...heritage1/HALS/

Hi Crystal Palace Fireworks

No, I had not done any further research than searching the web. May do at some stage if time permits.

Cheers. Firefiend

#85 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:01 PM

No, I had not done any further research than searching the web. May do at some stage if time permits.

Cheers. Firefiend

Hi Blastbert,

Have emailed Bishop Stortford museum for any info on the Relience Snap Company,...lets hope they come back to us!

#86 spectrum

spectrum

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:14 PM

Hi Blastbert,

Have emailed Bishop Stortford museum for any info on the Relience Snap Company,...lets hope they come back to us!

I think the building was up for conversion a while back, I googled the company and planning stuff came back. We are really busy at the moment but as soon as I get the chance I will chat to colleagues with professional associations with the place.

#87 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:56 AM

Cheers. Firefiend

Have just recieved an email from the Herts archives people, but they also have no info on Relience Snap company either.

Perhaps Spectrum`s contacts will come up trumps!

#88 RFD

RFD

RFD

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:03 PM

Hello all,it appears that last of the "Astra"s site at sandwich is about to go the same way as the rest of it,apparently the waste disposal transfer firm next door has bought it up for expansion,all the brush has been cleared and what buildings are left are quite visible now,apparently work has stalled at the moment due to decontamination needed on the site,presumably this is asbestos related as a previous poster had said all the "good stuff" has gone.

#89 spectrum

spectrum

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:49 PM

Hello all,it appears that last of the "Astra"s site at sandwich is about to go the same way as the rest of it,apparently the waste disposal transfer firm next door has bought it up for expansion,all the brush has been cleared and what buildings are left are quite visible now,apparently work has stalled at the moment due to decontamination needed on the site,presumably this is asbestos related as a previous poster had said all the "good stuff" has gone.

It could be a good time, and the last time, to view the footprint of the original factory. I shall be visiting to record what is left within the coming three weeks or so, if anyone wants to join me feel free.

#90 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:49 PM

It could be a good time, and the last time, to view the footprint of the original factory. I shall be visiting to record what is left within the coming three weeks or so, if anyone wants to join me feel free.

If you do find any pyro related stuff that you don`t want for yourself, we would be very interested and grateful if it could collect it for our museum!

PM me when you decide to visit, I will try and get down there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users