121 replies to this topic

#91 spectrum

spectrum

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:11 PM

If you do find any pyro related stuff that you don`t want for yourself, we would be very interested and grateful if it could collect it for our museum!

PM me when you decide to visit, I will try and get down there!

I will certainly PM you when I go down and would be more than happy to point out what went where, I believe the footprint of the original site will be clearly visible, when I visited the place around 5 years ago I re-traced the position of the R & D block where I spent the first 5 years of my career (and possibly the happiest), the remains of the floor paint were still to be seen, albeit faintly in mottled red - the significance to me was that I painted it as a young lad, a menial job for the lab boy!

There will be nothing left, the site was absolutely cleared. Some stuff was buried but lifted up later. If you had gone down there 2 or 3 years after it shut you would not have believed your eyes, very old labelled tubes all over the place and thousands of them. If ebay had been about you would have made a fortune. The ceiling of the engineers block was looted by scroats looking for copper, they had stored old tubes and stuff up there and these fell through onto the floor below, there were so many that even I got bored looking at them.

On the subject of museum contributions, I do have some stuff which will be of possible interest and will certainly be making contact to discuss contributions and loans to this very worthy enterprise.

#92 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:47 AM

I will certainly PM you when I go down and would be more than happy to point out what went where, I believe the footprint of the original site will be clearly visible, when I visited the place around 5 years ago I re-traced the position of the R & D block where I spent the first 5 years of my career (and possibly the happiest), the remains of the floor paint were still to be seen, albeit faintly in mottled red - the significance to me was that I painted it as a young lad, a menial job for the lab boy!

There will be nothing left, the site was absolutely cleared. Some stuff was buried but lifted up later. If you had gone down there 2 or 3 years after it shut you would not have believed your eyes, very old labelled tubes all over the place and thousands of them. If ebay had been about you would have made a fortune. The ceiling of the engineers block was looted by scroats looking for copper, they had stored old tubes and stuff up there and these fell through onto the floor below, there were so many that even I got bored looking at them.

On the subject of museum contributions, I do have some stuff which will be of possible interest and will certainly be making contact to discuss contributions and loans to this very worthy enterprise.

Thanks Spectrum,

Im sure either or both Phil Dunford or myself will be happy to meet up with you at the site!

#93 spectrum

spectrum

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:07 PM

Thanks Spectrum,

Im sure either or both Phil Dunford or myself will be happy to meet up with you at the site!

Great!, I would love that and will PM you both.

#94 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:12 PM

Think the post may have been lost, but maybe you could combine your visit with your proposed filming trip to Joyce Green.

Bit busy at the moment, but do PM me & let me know when you plan to visit & I'll see if I can arrange to meet you.
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#95 RFD

RFD

RFD

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:57 PM

If anybody was planning a visit to the old astra site at Sandwich,best they get some skates on.
I went past there this afternoon and there is a 360 excavator pulling up some of the concrete slabs,don't think any of the buildings have come down yet but i would guesse its not far away.

#96 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:48 AM

If anybody was planning a visit to the old astra site at Sandwich,best they get some skates on.
I went past there this afternoon and there is a 360 excavator pulling up some of the concrete slabs,don't think any of the buildings have come down yet but i would guesse its not far away.

I was hoping `Spectrum` would get back to me on these visits!

Do you live nearby the sandwich site RDF?,...It would be good to find out the name of the site contractors!

#97 RFD

RFD

RFD

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:42 PM

'Thanet waste' are clearing the site,i believe they also are the new owners, appears that concrete slabs are lifted and broken up and whats left of the buildings will be next,interestingly the site falls just short of the old magazine.

#98 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:27 PM

'Thanet waste' are clearing the site,i believe they also are the new owners, appears that concrete slabs are lifted and broken up and whats left of the buildings will be next,interestingly the site falls just short of the old magazine.

Thanks mate, I ve emailed the demolition company to ask them to save stuff for the museum project.

Edited by crystal palace fireworks, 01 October 2010 - 07:45 PM.

#99 spectrum

spectrum

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:14 PM

I was hoping `Spectrum` would get back to me on these visits!

Do you live nearby the sandwich site RDF?,...It would be good to find out the name of the site contractors!

Sorry, just picked up the post. I do want to get down but have been really busy. I will try and sort something out before the end of the week and will pm you

#100 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:04 PM

does anyone have a google map reference to the astra site that is being demolished?
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#101 RFD

RFD

RFD

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 05:27 PM

Have been past the old Astra firework site,all the buildings have been flattened,and the various slabs have been lifted and removed,its basically bare earth now,

#102 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 05:33 PM

RIP...

Thank goodness we have rescued some of the Wells factory.
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#103 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:51 PM

What site has been flatenned is it Wells fireworks or some other one?

#104 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 06:23 PM

What site has been flatenned is it Wells fireworks or some other one?

I believe it was the `Astra` fireworks factory at `Richborough` (Ramsgate Road I think) in Kent, you can view the basic layout on the Old `Ordanance Survey` maps online.

#105 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:39 PM

Could you post a link CPF? how many buildings where left at this site?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users