• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 screwball

screwball

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:29 AM

Given that it is firing visco purely from a hot wire I would very much doubt that you need a relay to fire an e-match with it - it should source enough current for e-matches and Estes igiters I would think.

From the ad the connectors look to be industry standard IDC ribbon connectors so I would guess the whole rig is pretty good quality. The clips can probably be re-worked or at least the ribbon re-used as a tail to another igniter.

Pity the range is only 15m - given that at the price of clips it will be most useful on larger cat3 fireworks. I was thinking of getting one to fire my finale sequence to allow reasonably close timing between the fireworks and not having to spread them out too much.

i believe you have mistaken the range its not 15m its 25m with the Launch Kontrol system

• Set of fireworks with a remote control at a distance of up to 25 metres
  • Launch module stores only one remote ID at a time, no risk of other remotes setting fireworks off
  • Huge random code library, use many systems in one environment
  • Launch up to 5 fireworks in sequence per module
  • 12 second safety time from when the module is turned on
  • Module uses 3 x AA batteries (supplied) and remote CR2025 (supplied)
  • Pack contains remote transmitter, module receiver and 3 x 5-way E-Clips
  • Replacement launch E-clips available (A56HJ)
the above taken from the Maplin site

#17 pyroduck7

pyroduck7

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 03:07 PM

+ the hot wire i think is just nichrome wire, when you clip it to the visco it connects half the circut the other half is connected via the remote, so you could easley just re-wire it to work as many times as you want.

#18 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 04:56 PM

Well I had enough problem seeing the element! I doubt you could replace it, also the plastic clip is damaged as the visco burns.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#19 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:09 PM

The 25 metre range is a slightly unfortunate limitation.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#20 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:15 PM

Well I had enough problem seeing the element!

Although I haven't tested the unit yet, I agree, you can't see anything really, apart from a very small PCB with a notch to accommodate the Visco..No sign of an element

I'm going to test the unit tonight, video will follow
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#21 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:19 PM

The 25 metre range is a slightly unfortunate limitation.

It's not even that. On the kit that I bought from maplins the IR range says 65', which is 19.81200m

#22 pyroduck7

pyroduck7

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:14 PM

yes, iv just got mine in the post. if you read it carefully it says "replace batterys if device failes to work at 65' or less"

i can see it. theres a clip, then a nitch for the fuse, then a VERRY thin peince of nichrome wire. its verry thin compared to me 0.10mm stuff. after i tested out the device with a small firecracker i then pulled the clip of, explosing the two wires, then connected a peince of my 0.10mm nichromw wire to it to see if it would work. and it didnt. im going to go to the model shop tomorow and buy some esets modle rocket ignighters and see if thay will work.

il keep you updated, also the device is much smaller than i expected. if these esets ignighters dont work i wouldent reccomand you buying one. afterall, arround £1.50 for lighting a fuse is way too much(15 ignighters = £10)

#23 johndee

johndee

UKPS Secretary

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:21 PM

[il keep you updated, also the device is much smaller than i expected. if these esets ignighters dont work i wouldent reccomand you buying one. afterall, arround £1.50 for lighting a fuse is way too much(15 ignighters = £10)
[/quote]

I think you did your maths wrong £10.00 for 15 ignighters = 67p each.

#24 pyroduck7

pyroduck7

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:59 PM

oh yea. sorry i did it in my head (as you can probbley tell) and i must of though £15 for 10

#25 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 05:38 PM

LOOK it's simply intended to ignite visco fuse, nothing more nothing less. It is perfect for the job of firing up to five commercial, visco fused items, at a safer distance. Please do not destroy one by trying to fire DIY igs,
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#26 GZ22

GZ22

An Explosive Force

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:05 PM

I found this, which may be of interest:

"...It consists of an e-fuse (electric fuse), an infrared transmitter and receiver. The unit is a purely electrical product which does not require the use of matches, an open flame or ignition powder. This product is designed for home use.

In use, the fuse from a firework would be attached to one of the e-fuse clips. The e-fuse clip is attached, via an electrical wire, to the infrared receiver. The user would stand a safe distance away from the fireworks and use the infrared transmitter to send a signal to the receiver which then allows electric current to flow through the e-fuse. Within the e-fuse clip is a bridge wire. Once activated the bridge wire heats up and ignites the firework fuse".

Do it safe - Do it right - or - Don't do it at all.

#27 pyroduck7

pyroduck7

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:09 PM

no, i mean once you fire off one firework useing the e-clip you cant use that clip aggain, i just took that e-clip appart trying to make it work aggain.

#28 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:48 PM

I honestly cant see this being any use to many of the people on this site guys. It only really is useful for visco fused fireworks, its so costly and the biggest drawback is the lack of range. Its not even suitable for things requiring a 25m distance.

If your bothered about setting things off remotely then a piece of cat 5 cable is 8 core meaning u can have 7 cues per cable from a manually fired "hard wired" unit

All you need is a 50m piece of wire, 1 small and one large plastic enclosure, some press buttons and a key switch then u can make those style clips from nichrome wire and use a car battery to power the unit. Personally Id make ematches and use them instead but that's your choice.

#29 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:02 PM

I honestly cant see this being any use to many of the people on this site guys. It only really is useful for visco fused fireworks, its so costly and the biggest drawback is the lack of range. Its not even suitable for things requiring a 25m distance.

If your bothered about setting things off remotely then a piece of cat 5 cable is 8 core meaning u can have 7 cues per cable from a manually fired "hard wired" unit

All you need is a 50m piece of wire, 1 small and one large plastic enclosure, some press buttons and a key switch then u can make those style clips from nichrome wire and use a car battery to power the unit. Personally Id make ematches and use them instead but that's your choice.

Completely agree mate, but for £20 It's good value and a safe product for the "general" consumer. The main reason I bought one was that it was £20 :rolleyes:

#30 screwball

screwball

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:06 PM

i think 1 or 2 people on this forum have missed the point of the Launch Kontrol system , its not really designed to be used by guys who make thier own devices or that have access to other means of lighting fireworks ,( legal or not) its designed for the general public and the average dad in the back garden to fire fireworks more safely rather than having to rely on naked flames or those dumb joss stick type lighters that are all the rage these days

its a £20 reusable system thats easy to use and has been past for use for the general public and im sure will help reduce accidents involving fireworks , its been made as a replacment for the Bright Spark unit that was sold last year and not intended as a all singing and dancing professional firing system , saying that i plan on firing most of my display this year using 2 or 3 of the Pro versions and i dont see any problems in doing so

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users