24 replies to this topic

#1 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:55 PM

Sorry to raise such a controversial subject , but this could be quite important. Does anyone know if carying fireworks in your car invalidates the insurance? I've been reading through mine, and I can't see any direct clause that would exclude the carraige of fireworks for private means (ie you arn't delivering them). However, I was reading on another forum that apparantly their are some polices that do have rather ambigious clauses that might , indeed, invalidate the insurance if you were in an accident and carrying fireworks.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#2 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:13 PM

Does the policy mention anything about carriage of hazardous goods? I should think typical carriage of dangerous goods in limited quantities would not invalidate insurance held by a member of the general public.

#3 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:21 PM

There is a long list, including terrorism, earthquaks, riots, war etc that are excluded from the policy. It also says " the carriage of dangerous goods, unsuitable loads, illegally modifed satillite navigation system (wtf?) .. "

I assume that consumer fireworks are not classed as dangerous goods.

I am NOT allowed to use my car for anything work related other than getting to and from work- IE I can't use my car to take children on a school trip etc.

#4 wjames

wjames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:04 PM

if i remember correctly, it invalidates YOUR personal insurance, not your public liability insurance.

#5 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:14 PM

if i remember correctly, it invalidates YOUR personal insurance, not your public liability insurance.

Public Liability Insurance? We might have our wires crossed a little here.

I'm talking about personal, private car insurance.

#6 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:28 PM

I would assume that there is some sort of special dispensation if you are taking a small quantity of Cat3 from the retailer to your home or from your home to a fireworks party. If not, huge numbers of people would be invalidating their insurance. However, I've never seen this stated in writing.

As we discovered at the recent course, you can take up to 50Kg of Cat 4 in your car without needing an ADR licence, but would you be covered on your normal insurance? hmmmm - interesting point.
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#7 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:37 PM

Undoubtedly it would depend on the insurer and the policy and the judgement at the time of any incident as to whether the insurance covered the journey as Social Domestic and Pleasure, or Business purposes or...

As I expect most of the UK retail firework sales are carried after retail purchase in a private car, that's a LOT and probably considered SD+P, BUT a case of shells and some racks, expect to have the legal motor cover separate from the professional explosive insurance.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#8 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:46 PM

some car policies specifically exclude cover for ANY hazardous materials, or even visiting a place that stores such materials, best to check and be sure.

i) We will not cover any loss or damage to property or any direct or indirect loss, expense or liability caused or contributed to by carrying any hazardous goods.

ii) We will not cover any accident, injury, loss or damage that happens while your vehicle is being used for carrying dangerous loads.

iii) We will not cover any loss or damage to liability caused by using your vehicle in a hazardous location.

that is taken from a Direct Line policy (albeit lifted from a different forum)

Stu

#9 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:13 PM

I tried to insure my Transit for firework carrying a few years back when I did displays. The insurance company didn't have a pre-defined category for this so the nearest they they could put me down as was an "Exhibition Organiser"

Another company could only refer to me as a firework finisher???? whatever that is.

The truth is that most of them haven't got a clue but if they hear fireworks they use it as a licence to bump up the premium.

For private use, I expect they would try to wriggle out of paying by saying they were dangerous goods.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#10 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:45 AM

It is unfortunate, but I feel that this is the sort of problem that may only become "an issue" following an incident. IE an accident on the motorway involving a private car with fireworks in it.

As such, I think the best advice is just to be sensible. It is an offense to overload you car, be it with fireworks , gardening tools, or anything really. If you are ordering a large quantity of fireworks, consider mail order for a reliable company maybe (although personnal experience tells me that is a gamble). Or have a friend drive as well to share the load- if the police pull you over and your car is literally packed with fireworks, that could be a real problem.

#11 scjb

scjb

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:43 PM

Do also bear in mind that non-disclosure of a material fact renders insurance worthless. Your insurer would probably take the opinion that carriage of dangerous goods is a material fact.

As people have said, purchasing a box of brocks from the local corner shop (or a couple of the largest SIB's you can find) and driving them home is one thing, but carrying product to a firing site is something else entirely...

Edited by scjb, 07 October 2008 - 09:44 PM.

#12 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:25 PM

"iii) We will not cover any loss or damage to liability caused by using your vehicle in a hazardous location."

That's the M1, M25, M11 Dartford crossing and the elevated section of the M4 out as well then!

I suspect that an Asda selection box in the shopping would get a different response from a list of 1.1, 1.3 and 1.4 shells.

Would you and your insurer share the same definition of "Social Domestic and Pleasure"

Edited by Arthur Brown, 07 October 2008 - 11:30 PM.

http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#13 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:17 PM

I would assume that there is some sort of special dispensation if you are taking a small quantity of Cat3 from the retailer to your home or from your home to a fireworks party. If not, huge numbers of people would be invalidating their insurance. However, I've never seen this stated in writing.

As we discovered at the recent course, you can take up to 50Kg of Cat 4 in your car without needing an ADR licence, but would you be covered on your normal insurance? hmmmm - interesting point.

If i remember rightly,
i thought it was 499.9 kg of 1.4 cat 4,and up to 50kg of 1.3 etc.You may need a roof rack as well !

#14 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:27 PM

Sorry, being a bit loose there, must not confuse Firework Classes (Cat 1 - 4) with hazard classes 1.1g 1.4g etc. 1.1g being most dangerous and Cat 1 (generally) being least dangerous.

You can carry up to 500Kg of 1.4g (limited hazard) or 50Kg of 1.1g, 1.2g or 1.3g. If the load is mixed the most hazardous applies. eg if you have any 1.3g your maximum load including 1.4g can only be 50Kg.

Very confusing - think I got that right!

As you say, given this is powder weight and not gross weight, that's a pretty full boot!!
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#15 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:11 PM

haa i see!, this one's got a "boot full" would he get cover? nearly there

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users