• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:22 PM

Several of us from the forum recently went on a course which included hand-firing Cat 4.

The shells were equipped with short pieces of PIC (about 1 second delay) and fired from very close quarters (with full PPE).

Firing shells on the course

Now the organiser is a seasoned professional with an excellent safety record, but personally I' d never fire shells like that. I give myself several seconds and get well away. To each his own, but to me, that's too risky.
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#17 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:04 PM

There were two points to the firing on the course;

Firstly the course also is suitable for people with NO firing experience and the real firing might be someones FIRST!

Secondly, when you see a shell and the muzzle flash most people should see the point of PPE -fire retardant overall and full head protection.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#18 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:14 PM

Fair point Arthur but when it comes down to it you could get half a dozen display company owners in a room and get half a dozen different opinions on how they think shells should be setup/fired, its just that - an opinion.

#19 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:53 PM

Every firework company I have noticed has shown different attitudes to risk, and safety.

#20 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:22 AM

sometimes I feel it would be simpler to have a governing body that would state methodology and produce a framework with regards to setup, lighting etc etc

#21 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:09 AM

Having to get all the "characters" who lead firework shows to agree to one safe method would likely fail! It would also totally stifle new development, and use of new fireworks. An informed and Risk assessment based system has to be the only way of keeping individual artistic integrity safely together with personal and environmental safety.

Perhaps there does need to be an information system, and a requirement for firers to do continuing professional training, GOSH! At the cat4 course I heard of a proposed members forum for just this. Though "proposed" to "online" may be a rocky road.

#22 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:40 AM

Having to get all the "characters" who lead firework shows to agree to one safe method would likely fail! It would also totally stifle new development, and use of new fireworks. An informed and Risk assessment based system has to be the only way of keeping individual artistic integrity safely together with personal and environmental safety

That's why I said "sometimes" :)

#23 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:29 AM

Perhaps there does need to be an information system, and a requirement for firers to do continuing professional training.

Who is going to run this and who is to say that one company, or set of indiviuals are safer or more professional than the next? There are often sound reasons for doing things that are different from the advice of other people in the industry. I will give you an example.

When I ran my own display company and I staked out a large individual tube, for instance a 5" mortar. I would put the stake behind the tube, so if a shell detonated in the tube and sent the stake flying, it would go away from the audience and fly towards the fallout zone.

I worked with a well known company on a display who insisted that I put the stake in front of their tubes in case someone forgot to tie it up, it wouldn't fall towards the audience.

My view has always been that the same person who puts the stake in the ground ties the tube up immediately. To leave a tube untied would be negligent. That same man who owned the company has had a fair bit of input into the BPA over the years.

Two conflicting views. Both have their reasons but the latter view was probably presented as a piece of advice to the BPA at some time or another.

I don't think any company in this country can run a course that means something when it comes to dictating work methods. Most people work in a particular way and with good reason for doing so.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#24 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:51 AM

My heart sinks every time I see 'more legislation, more control, more laws'...

Frankly, I think that our record of firework safety in this country is superb, both for home-fired and professionally fired displays. Given the inherent dangers of fireworks, displays can never be 100% safe. No one makes you buy fireworks, or makes you go to a public display!
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#25 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:02 AM

I agree wholeheartedly with you Phil. I think we should adopt the way the Spanish let off fireworks. Young children can have and use certain types of fireworks and they have a healthy respect for them from the earliest age. Dogs walk by huge bangs without a whimper.

Us eof many things from an early age breeds respect. Young French children drink watered down wine at meals and there isn't the binge drinking culture that happens here. If you deny a group of people access to something such as fireworks, until they reach the right age they have no experience of use and then do reckless things.

#26 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:11 AM

Us eof many things from an early age breeds respect. Young French children drink watered down wine at meals and there isn't the binge drinking culture that happens here. If you deny a group of people access to something such as fireworks, until they reach the right age they have no experience of use and then do reckless things.

Never thought I would use this expression (and apologies to sensitive souls), but way to go Mortartube!!!!!
Posted Imagethegreenman

#27 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:20 AM

The current European plan to harmonise firework regulation could be interesting! (note the arrival of an 8 metre marked distance on some fireworks!) With the UK banning fireworks in public places and the hispanic areas regarding fireworks as street entertainment. Carnival without fireworks = Bullfight without Bulls.

They want to split stage pyro into T1 & T2 -the bigger ones needing training! Then they see jumping jacks being thrown into carnival crowds in Spain and the rocket battle that happens between two Greek Churches at Easter!

#28 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 01:24 PM

Crikey I have said something that someone agrees with. My diary entry for today will make different reading. Lol.

Right off to knock up some Shimizu Golden wave stars.

#29 yorkie

yorkie

Yorkie

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:40 PM

If you read some of the American websites, they talk about having a sheet of plywood between the mortar racks and the firer, this is fine until you do get a problem, imagine a sheet of 1/2 inch plywood flying horizontally after the force of a tube blowout, it would sythe through your legs withouut even slowing down

#30 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:42 PM

the display was done by Kimbolton, the chap involved is fine :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users