27 replies to this topic

#1 sjc

sjc

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:47 PM

http://www.expressan...n-a-damp-squib/

Fireworks sellers say they are having the worst year they can remember as the credit crunch and the cold snap combine to hammer trade.

While organised bonfires are set to go ahead as planned, sellers are predicting that fewer private displays will take place. As costs are rising people are getting “less bang for their buck”.

Neil Avery of West Midlands Fire Service, responsible for licences to fireworks traders in Sandwell and parts of Dudley, said: “Numbers have been going down for ages but there has been a definite slump this year.

“Traders have been telling me they are really struggling and a lot of them are now offering two-for-one deals. People just aren’t willing to pay for fireworks any more, not when there’s pubic displays you can watch for a fraction of the price.

“We have really noticed a drop in applications for licenses because you just get less bang for your buck now.” At Oldbury’s Firework Factory, Hagley Road, a staff member, who did not want to be named said: “It’s been so quiet, the worst I’ve known it.”

Posted Image Jaz Lalla, of Simply Fireworks, Vicarage Road, Oldbury, said: “It’s been hard work but there’s still a week to go, hopefully we’ll do OK. We thought we would do a lot of business for Diwali but it snowed so it didn’t really happen.” At Lye Fireworks, Dudley Road, Stourbridge, owner Anthony Round said a slight dip had not been too noticeable.

Zubair Hussain, manager at M Latif & Sons cash and carry Bilston, said: “Usually we are very busy at this time of year with Diwali, bonfire night and Halloween but this year we have not been selling as many fireworks.” He put it down to the credit crunch and people cutting back.

#2 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 05:46 PM

Well, it all depends on what they sell. Shops that don't bother with a website, trawl out the same stuff they sold last year, open a week before bonfire night and close early ... yeah, they won't be doing well. Shops I know that have put the effort in and offer good deals, good service etc are having a really successful year.

People perhaps are not willing to pay the large mark up for fireworks? If I had to pay full RRP for fireworks, I wouldn't but many at all.

Be aware too that often these pieces (articles) are done from a subtle anti-fireworks perspective.

Edited by David, 01 November 2008 - 05:47 PM.

OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#3 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:54 PM

Not much going off tonight at all- and I'm in a very built up area- which unfortunatly does suggest less people are buying and using them. That said, people could be saving them up for Wednesday and next Saturday.

#4 MiniChris

MiniChris

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:50 PM

Rain stopped play for me.... only just got started too :( Still not much going off in Birmingham.

#5 Skyburst

Skyburst

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:45 PM

Just got back from firing a display in a very wet Wembdon. Still had a huge turnout so that was good. On the drive home to Bristol there was a huge ammount of fireworks going off in all directions which was good to see, especially as the weather hasn't been too kind tonight. looking forward to the 5th now :)
Currently firing for Skyburst - The Firework Co.

#6 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 12:15 AM

Realistically we cannot expect people to spend money they havent got! The Big shows and events are commercially contracted and budgeted but home consumption is dependent on people having confidence in the economy. Actually £100 spent on fireworks could be spent on heating or food.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#7 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:42 AM

Not much going off tonight at all- and I'm in a very built up area- which unfortunatly does suggest less people are buying and using them. That said, people could be saving them up for Wednesday and next Saturday.

It's sad for me to say it but yes, there were hardly any going off around here either!! :(

The weather was really nice aswell, no wind or rain! Loads were going off this time last year.

I was at an organized bonfire selling the glow things and light up toys untill about 9 when I got back and it still wasn't good, except for round Urmston in Manchester there were quite a few things going off from what I saw.

I much prefer to let off my own stuff than go to an organized event, I suppose if less people buy there own fireworks, I will have the neighbourhood sky to myself on Wednesday night lol.

The credit crunch is definently holding people back. I really hope things pick up these next few nights.

Edited by Prestonboi, 02 November 2008 - 09:43 AM.

#8 dogsbody

dogsbody

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:21 AM

was out our shed till nearly midnighgt getting ready for tonight (i got to work til 4.30 aaarrgghhhhh) and could hear the odd 1 or 2 going off (and it was absolutley peeing it down!)

#9 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:06 AM

Fireworks sellers say they are having the worst year they can remember as the credit crunch and the cold snap combine to hammer trade.

I am amused to see that the cold snap has been blamed. Bonfire nights were always traditionally frosty not so many years ago, hence the need for a bonfire. It's not actually a proper bonfire night to me unless there is frost, a fire and jacket spuds and sausages, preferably cooked on the dying embers.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#10 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 05:27 PM

I was told before by my Mum that there were queues in both Asda and Morrisons in Preston this afternoon to buy fireworks.

Shame it's supermarket stuff but at least people are buying.

#11 Skyburst

Skyburst

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:50 PM

Had a fair bit going off around me again tonight, some pretty good stuff too!
Currently firing for Skyburst - The Firework Co.

#12 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:01 PM

Had a fair bit going off around me again tonight, some pretty good stuff too!

Sadly not the same round here, a few bangs on the skyline but only a few rockets etc round here.

It's either going to be a crap year or it's going to go absolutley bonkers on Wednesday night. This weekend last year was amazing for pyro going up in Preston, I was sat on my window ledge for hours watching!

Edited by Prestonboi, 02 November 2008 - 09:02 PM.

#13 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:00 PM

I can confirm that there are fewer going off up here in the Forth Valley than last year.
Think its probably more to do with anti firework press :angry: etc than cash flow. I have to say that despite buying from my usual reputable suppliers south of the border I am a bit concerned about the "less bang for your buck" idea - particularly Men Shun. I'll pass judgement once a let my gear off on the 8th.

My main competitor let their stuff off last night thinking I was ready to unleash mine on the same night. Alas no ! Definitely noticed a lack of power in what is usually a decent display. Had a real supermarket feel to it actually - maybe they've downsized a bit ?
Anyway looking forward to getting a record number of complaints - wish me luck.

Picked up a couple of 2006 lethal tanks from a fly by nighter at the weekend - all looks in order.

Boom da boomba ! :blush:

#14 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:24 PM

My main competitor let their stuff off last night thinking I was ready to unleash mine on the same night. Alas no !

Anyway looking forward to getting a record number of complaints - wish me luck.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope you beat them!

The anti fireworks press surfaces every year and right royally p*sses me off, granted you get the chavs messing around but apart from that why ruin family fun? We have a great evening in the garden. It's usually really good around here, hopefully will pick up soon.

I hope the anti fireworks brigade havent finnaly put people off buying pyro, or I wont be best pleased, we'll see on Wednesday night but right now it aint looking good.

Edited by Prestonboi, 02 November 2008 - 10:25 PM.

#15 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:44 PM

Don't forget that last year Guy Fawkes Night was on a Monday, this year it is on Wednesday- maybe the Saturday AFTER bonfire night is going to be the busy one?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users