The world's smallest fireworks

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:47 AM

I had the idea of making a 1/8" end burner rocket tool when I found some old brass turned pins at work which were intended for electronics use. I never got round to it but if I get the chance in the week on the lathe it might be worth a try.

I already have a working 1/4" but the main problem with a 1/8" set is ignition, still not 100% sure how to pass fire down the nozzle when its about 0.9mm... this will not fit any standard fuse sizes, unless I make some incredibly fine blackmatch.
You can never have a long enough fuse...

#17 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:27 AM

I would suggest making some runny BP prime with gum arabic and squeezing it down the mini rocket choke with a syringe. Just stick a piece of thin green visco into it before it dries.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#18 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 03:25 PM

The smallest real fireworks I ever saw were Bengal matches. Like fusees but with colour.
"This salt, formerly called hyperoxymuriate of potassa, is
used for sundry preparations, and especially for experimental
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#19 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:06 PM

Oh I forgot about this topic... I tried the tool kit with the 1/8" brass turned pin and it was a waste of time. It seems below a certain size rockets are almost impossible to construct and are never stable enough to fly properly. Also the fuel burning inside the rocket chamber on a 1/4" end burner is 4 times the amount burning inside a 1/8" motor (area of 1/8" circle = 7.9mm^2, area of 1/4" circle = 31.6mm^2).
You can never have a long enough fuse...

#20 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 01:09 PM

The smallest rockets in Sweden are the so called tiger rockets. They're open nozzle rockets about 5 mm inner diameter and a lenght of 45 mm and filled with whistle mix and a small amount of very strong flash.

The smallest firecracker in Sweden was the so called "1-öres". 1 öre is 1/100 of a Swedish krona, which is about 1/13 of £1. In reality they costed much less than an öre. They were about 1½ mm thick and maybe 10-12 mm long and filled with approx 50mg of black powder.
"This salt, formerly called hyperoxymuriate of potassa, is
used for sundry preparations, and especially for experimental
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#21 bushman

bushman

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:19 AM

I was experimenting with some quick match the other day and found that about 3 or 4 inches of this stuff with a sliver of bamboo cane for a stabilising tail made a good little rocket I had no charge on the end so I do not know how much weight it would carry but it certainly flew staright up. Not sure that this classes as a rocket it being without a charge but it was certainly small.

#22 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:08 AM

There were, probably still are, some very small fireworks in some TNT selection boxes, little 2 second fountains about an inch or so high. Cynics would say that they are there just to make the numbers up "This box contains 30 fireworks" etc. But I like them- a bit different. That said, they would be pointless for a family/back garden display.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users