60 replies to this topic

#16 Jerronimo

Jerronimo

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 07:49 PM

You are right BigG,in the future when posting formulations containing potassiumchlorate I will mention the hazards regarding chlorate mixtures.

But I must add that everybody on this forum should know that you have to handle chlorate mixtures with the greatest of care.
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

#17 PanMaster

PanMaster

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 07:57 PM

I do know three things about chlorates: they go BANG when you hit them with a big hammer.
They burn real fast.
Only use H3.
Where are the matches?

#18 Gor

Gor

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 10:09 PM

Can I just be clear on one chlorate/sulphur question?

Chlorates do not mix well with SULPHUR containing compounds, sure, but thay can br used with metal SULPHATES, e.g. copper sulphate?

That was my understanding but is has got a little blurred reading this thread.

#19 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 12:11 PM

Just to stir things up a bit more...

Ron Lancaster suggests in his book that it is OK to use chlorate stars in roman candles etc as long as there is no free sulphur. Gunpowder is considered to be OK. Now this is a pretty fine line, as gunpowder is a mixture (not a compound) and technically the sulphur in it is free to react... Remains true though that many such devices are made without accident (not in this country I think). Obviously sulphur/chlorate mixtures are a no-no.
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#20 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 12:18 PM

Just to stir things up a bit more...

Ron Lancaster suggests in his book that it is OK to use chlorate stars in roman candles etc as long as there is no free sulphur. Gunpowder is considered to be OK. Now this is a pretty fine line, as gunpowder is a mixture (not a compound) and technically the sulphur in it is free to react... Remains true though that many such devices are made without accident (not in this country I think). Obviously sulphur/chlorate mixtures are a no-no.

Hmmm, interesting. The Maltese use Chlorate/Sulphur mixture on regular bases with only a few accidents. Still, the level of safety in commercial plants is very high, allowing fewer chances for accidents. I don't think as amateurs we can keep the same level of separation as in fireworks plants.

#21 lord_dranack

lord_dranack

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 04:56 PM

The main problem is that chlorates, while more dangerous, are easily avaliable from a variety of sources, while perchlorates are much harder to find ( I'm still looking!)

As I use chlorates for all my colours I have almost eliminated sulfur from my work, except for bp. I am lucky in that i have 2 work areas now, so my new one (in a shed) is sulfur free.

#22 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 06:29 PM

i have found a place for bying potassium perchlorate called brettmartin it sells loads of chemicals for firework uses. :D
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#23 Pazza

Pazza

Not just a pretty face

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 04:03 AM

pyrotechnist, im guessing that you live in the US

#24 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 11:35 AM

no, he lives in the UK. this company however does not sell all the chemicals they list i dont think. the title of the page is 'how chemicals react to xxx' and then gives a very long list of chemicals such as potassium perchlorate,sodium benzoate,sulphur,KNO3... with a - or + against them which indicates wheather they hold up against xxx or not.

#25 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 04:45 PM

yer still didn't get the email off them. ;)

#26 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 05:25 PM

i also e-mailed and had no responce.

#27 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 07:01 PM

i know how to make it but it is too hard and i do not have the tools or equipment to process it and make it pure. :(

#28 PanMaster

PanMaster

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 07:54 PM

the only source i thought was that chemikus seller, slightly extortionate
Where are the matches?

#29 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 03:56 PM

wy how much was it to by from them.

#30 PanMaster

PanMaster

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 04:24 PM

why don't you get yourself a few brief cases lined with lead and take yourself to america, while you're there pick up some dark aluminium, magnesium and kclo4 from firefox or skylighter, and put it in sugar bags or some other disguise inside the cases lined with lead and try to evade customs, the lead blocks x-ray detection, but creates suspicion, you might make it or end up in the terrorist camp indefinitely
Where are the matches?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users