• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#46 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:46 PM

Also the bottom of the rack is what spreads the impact of a shell launch over a larger area so that is why racks often have a substantial bottom bar -like 2 to 3 inches thick this stops tubes driving themselves into the ground or damaging the surface. USA practice includes having the lower side rail up to the height of the top of the plug and the upper side rail from the 3/4 point up to nearly the top of the mortar. This leaves the most likely place for a blowout - mid tube free for shrapnell and blast to travel with minimum disruption to the rest of the tubes.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#47 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:02 AM

would it be a good idea to work out a number of tubes (in different sizes) that could fit in the same width rack, thatway you could connect the racks together regardless of the size of tube (we do it for our 75mm and 100mm in both fanned and straight configuration and it works well :) )

#48 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 04:05 PM

I spotted an interesting approach to wooden racks here:

http://www.pyromaste.../SS Rackits.htm

Their design seems to work with the inherent strength of the tubes rather than just boxing them up...

Edited by BrightStar, 29 May 2009 - 04:23 PM.

#49 Mixologist

Mixologist

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:02 PM

I spotted an interesting approach to wooden racks here:

http://www.pyromaste.../SS Rackits.htm

Their design seems to work with the inherent strength of the tubes rather than just boxing them up...

Smart, wonder what the prices are like for the metal ones.

#50 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:13 PM

the metal ones are look really neat. light weight to 4" only 5kg .might have to email them for a price.

Posted Image

Edited by PyroPDC, 29 May 2009 - 09:15 PM.

#51 Firework Crazy

Firework Crazy

Firework Crazy

• UKPS Advertisers
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 11:52 AM

Some interesting designs there.
Regards.

Mark

Posted Image

#52 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 12:33 PM

Yes, an interesting design. Plus points on the wooden ones are:

1) multiple side-to side fastenings increase the strength and prevent side rails coming off and tubes scattering.
2) narrow footprint on the floor reduces twisting strain on the bottom of the rack when firing them angled.
negatives are:
3) the tubes are clamped rather too high up at the bottom. I've had steel bolts snapped or stripped lower down than that when a shell detonates.

The metal ones look a lot better, much like my MK3 design, though strangely, they've lost the bottom central rail.
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#53 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:59 PM

I have done much like Starsky said and all my racks are of the same length regardless of tube size. They differ in width obviously but it means all can be fastened by a wooden slat running down the length of them should you choose to do so.

here's a picture of some I made new a while ago. There made from 1" marine grade ply, screwed and glued together with 1" spacers between the tubes. Tests have shown that 5" shells destroying tubes only dents the neighbouring tubes and the rack survives.

From my design the wood that is used to make them all is modular so an 8' by 4' sheet can be cut down into many 3" lengths and a few of the tubes widths then at the end all the offcuts are used to make spaces so there is as good as no waste.

Attached Thumbnails

• 23092008017.jpg

#54 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:16 PM

here's a picture of some I made new a while ago. There made from 1" marine grade ply, screwed and glued together with 1" spacers between the tubes.

They are excellent racks, but lifting them nearly gave me a hernia! - lol
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#55 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:18 PM

and they were 3" racks! Imagine the 6"ers then mate!

#56 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:05 PM

What are peoples thoughts on using MDF ? My fan rack is made from 9mm MDF (I know many have seen it, quite the crowd pleaser it would seem) and the only problem I've had (once) was the bottom been "pushed" out, (only the right side mind) this was my own fault, due to me over lifting the 50mm Bag-Mines......15g for 50g of D1 :ph34r:

The reason I ask is that I'm going to build a couple of bigger racks (for 3") 1-Fan-5 tubes and 1-5 straight.......3/4" MDF

Any thoughts ? apart from waterproofing of course
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#57 Mixologist

Mixologist

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:09 PM

MDF can be of varying strengths throughout it due to the manufacturing process.

For this reason to start with i`d go for something else, the last thing you want to be doing is repairing your racks all the time....

#58 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:25 PM

I've seen MDF go so soft with moisture that it literally falls apart - would not be my first choice...
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#59 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:16 PM

I'd be cautious about MDF as racks always get damp, by rain or just dew in ground contact, and MDF behaves badly in the damp.

Yes cakes are paper! But cake cases are made to be one time use and disposable.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#60 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:03 AM

I do know about MDF and moisture, that is why I said "apart from waterproofing" in my original post :P The racks would be heavily waterproofed
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users