#166 YT2095

YT2095

The Resourceful One.

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 01:22 PM

that would be Great thanks :)

I`ve also been thinking about trying to get a Higher Fountain effect (above a couple of feet) I have 6 card tubes with a 1 inch ID, and the choke plugs with a 1/4 inch bore, now these are looking scarily like the rockets I used to make (and CATO 9 times out of 10).

until yet I`ve only ever made No choke or crimped the tube as a choke or had a very diminutive polyfiller choke, so 1 inch ID with a 1/4 inch choke bore, Workable or dangerous?

I`ll be using plain green meal, with Strontium or Barium nitrate doping and coarse Mg powder as the reductor for this addition to correct the Oxygen balance.
I don`t Ram either, it`s Hand pushed with slightly damp compo and dextrin.

as I said before, these are only Humble fountains with great colors, it would be nice to get something a little more Technical done but at the same time remain "idiot proof" as I`m a bit of a Chicken and hate it when something goes Bang :(

Edited by YT2095, 12 July 2007 - 01:24 PM.

"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom" - Death

#167 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:17 PM

[quote name='YT2095' date='Jul 12 2007, 01:22 PM' post='36017']
that would be Great thanks :)

until yet I`ve only ever made No choke or crimped the tube as a choke or had a very diminutive polyfiller choke, so 1 inch ID with a 1/4 inch choke bore, Workable or dangerous?

Might be a bit tight depending on how much fross is formed. I've found mixtures with Al tend to dross the worst. If the fountain is short it would probably be OK. I like mine to go for a long time so I usually use larger chokes,especially to start. Might be best to start with a larger choke and work your way down...or up with the sparks. Here's a link to a 1-1/2 inch ID fountain with 3/8" choke that plugged.

#168 YT2095

YT2095

The Resourceful One.

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:43 PM

Ouch, and it looked like it was going so well too! :(
it would have made me Jump also!

having taken your advice, I`ve redrilled out the bores also to 3/8" on my 1" ID tubes.
it`s probably a little Fraction bigger as the drill bit is Metric and 8mm.

I don`t mind sacraficing Height for safety, the average depth per tube to hold the composition is just a little under 2" so I should get nice enough burn time.

#169 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:56 PM

yeah, that fountain was just getting going nicely before CATO. Kinda scary. If your fountains are only 2" long, choke is much less likely to plug, as burn time will not be too long. I make most of mine 6"-8" long... Try the 8mm choke, if all igis good, go a little smaller...
The whistle heard in the vid by the way was 3" long 1/2"ID tube filled with 70/30 perc/sodium benz whistle mix. It had a good sound other than the "skip" Mix might have been damp or an air pocket maybe??

#170 YT2095

YT2095

The Resourceful One.

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:50 PM

Had you have been in the UK of late, I`de definitely have gone with "Damp" being the cause! :)
it`s downright Soggy and has not stopped raining here since I got up at 7 (it`s half 3 now).

having said that, the Whistle did work rather well, and I may try making one myself eventually, I don`t have any Perc here (there`s little use for it in the Lab) I have plenty Chlorate though, and that`s little use for Whistles LOL, so I`ll have to buy some I think.

the Benzoate isn`t a problem I have a reasonable amount of Ammoinium Benzoate and so can easily convert that to any other metal benzoate (Sr,Ba,Cu etc...)

did you quickmatch the Fountain and whistle together or were they 2 separate devices and fuses?

#171 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:03 PM

Had you have been in the UK of late, I`de definitely have gone with "Damp" being the cause! :)
it`s downright Soggy and has not stopped raining here since I got up at 7 (it`s half 3 now).

having said that, the Whistle did work rather well, and I may try making one myself eventually, I don`t have any Perc here (there`s little use for it in the Lab) I have plenty Chlorate though, and that`s little use for Whistles LOL, so I`ll have to buy some I think.

the Benzoate isn`t a problem I have a reasonable amount of Ammoinium Benzoate and so can easily convert that to any other metal benzoate (Sr,Ba,Cu etc...)

did you quickmatch the Fountain and whistle together or were they 2 separate devices and fuses?

Where did you get your ammonium benzoate? I'm looking for some so I can try copper benzoate/ammonium perchlorate stars, which are a pretty nice blue.

#172 YT2095

YT2095

The Resourceful One.

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:21 PM

I bought it as part of a job lot quite a while ago from a friend that deals in Lab closures, it was Originally brought from Sigma Aldrich.

Edit: I just realised after posting, that`s not at all helpful to you really, have you considered making your Own?
it`s really quite simple. and if there`s not already a thread on here about it, I`de be happy to walk you through it.

Edited by YT2095, 13 July 2007 - 03:26 PM.

#173 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:23 PM

If I remember correctly, the whistle and fountain were connected only with blackmatch so they would burn in sequence, the (guessed) timing seemed to work well.
[/quote]

#174 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:19 PM

[quote name='BrightStar' date='Mar 5 2007, 12:01 PM' post='32056']
I tried a red Fe-Ti fountain over the weekend. The formula was based on John Glasswick's:

Red gum - 8
Parlon - 18
Magnalium (200 mesh) - 18
Fe-Ti (mixed 20 to 100 mesh) - 13
Strontium nitrate - 43
hi who is " john glasswick" as he written any books, i am always on the lookout for interesting books on pyro :) .ps any more luck with your fountains.

Edited by chris m, 20 July 2007 - 05:20 PM.

#175 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:30 PM

The Glasswick article appeared in a PGI Bulletin I seem to recall. I have found an online scan of the article below:

http://paraphysics.c...sswick_gerb.jpg

Edited by Richard H, 20 July 2007 - 05:32 PM.

#176 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 08:12 PM

Thought I'd share This fountain from a while back now. All I remember was that it was a cut down 1lb rocket tube to 5" and rammed on standard fountain tooling. I recall it had a high % TI with meal. It was quite high and very bright B) . I must make some more soon.

#177 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 11:07 PM

The Glasswick article appeared in a PGI Bulletin I seem to recall. I have found an online scan of the article below:

http://paraphysics.c...sswick_gerb.jpg

thanks for the scan interesting comps, but iv'e never heard of cupric oxide is it quite obsure

#178 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 11:37 PM

You've never heard of copper (II) oxide? Are you kidding me?

#179 MMMMMM Pyro

MMMMMM Pyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:55 AM

You know, CuO, Black copper Oxide... Ever seen a blue star formula with CuO as a constituent?!!!
It looks like this.
Regards,

Mike

#180 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 02:24 PM

yes i have heard of copper oxide!, why are they calling it cupric oxide?and before anybody starts ranting at me please remember i am just your "average man in the street" and all this is new to me ;) but i must say i am enjoying learning!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users