273 replies to this topic

#46 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 07:29 PM

Completely unrelated, but since you are both here, I just noticed we have been overrun by Yankies! (call me a Limey all you want :) ). Where abouts do you both reside, as the PGI convention in ND would be a great time to meet you if possible.

PS - Dont start claiming credit for this forum, and certainly dont write a film about it please! :P
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#47 tajmiester

tajmiester

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 07:31 PM

Here here! lol :D

#48 bernie

bernie

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 11:25 PM

Florida. It dangles off the U.S. like a.....near Tampa. I don't really see myself making it to N. Dakota this year but it would be pretty neat to actually meet up with you sometime Adam. Maybe one day.

#49 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 11:49 AM

Following a few requests, I was looking at possible formula to use Antimony Metal in Glitter grebes. I have noted this formula from Lancaster:

BP: 76
Strontium Carbonate: 10
Antimony Trisulphide: 8
Atomized Aluminium 350 mesh: 6

Lancaster does not distinguish this as a glitter formula but just as “formula that is suitable for un-choked fountains of 125mm in height” – yet the formula just scream glitter.

For the trail I replaced the Atomized Aluminium with one of 200 mesh and the trisulphide with regular metal antimony. While Lancaster propose unchoked fountain, I did choke mine as I found this to produce a better effect (a point that seem to be endorsed by Winkour). Lancaster proposes to use a pull-in choke when dealing with glitter – I choose a large clay choke – so my fountain was 24id with a choke of 18mm.

Glitter tends to produce a lot of dross – and the fountain did operate wonderfully for the first 5 seconds, producing a powerful spray of tiny bushy glitter. The furiousity of this formula (BP 76!) make it hard to follow the little glitters – but stepping back you can see that the whole shower of sparks seem glittery and lively in nature. However – after 5 seconds the dross built up enough to block the tube and breach the sides of the fountain (which was made with a 3mm wall).

The Metal antimony I have is grounded very coarsely – somewhere around the 100 mesh, with some “chunky” bits in it. Oglesby suggest that the coarser your powder, the less delay agent you need. Which might suggest reducing the strontium carbonate to 8 or even 6. Also, the larger aluminium will add do the dross; so maybe 5 will do better.

This is a good formula as the items are mostly accessible. Also, with 8 grams per 100 gram of formula, you get a good quantity of fountain composition even with the high price you pay for pure – powdered antimony metal.

#50 Rhodri

Rhodri

One of the gang!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 12:26 PM

Interesting formula BigG!

Low in uncombined C but high in Sb.

Quite a 'bright' in performance I would imagine?
Making light, sound and good conversation.

#51 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 12:32 PM

Interesting formula BigG!

Low in uncombined C but high in Sb.

Quite a 'bright' in performance I would imagine?

Illuminates the backyard quite nicely. Yes – very birght.

#52 BurlHorse

BurlHorse

Burlhorse

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 04:28 PM

BigG,

Was the case a burn through or pressure breach, I.E; did it go bang? That formula burns hot! (Just tried it) Casing was 30mm, 5mm wall, 20cm length. 25 mm clay choke 1 ID of case (I use Durhams Rock hard water putty brand, not wetted at all) , rammed til it barely bulged the case. (Ten solid blows from a 5 pound dead blow hammer) The case was from New England Paper Tube company, or NEPT. They make Solid as a rock casings, expensive, but worth it. drilled choke before ramming comp to 15mm. Made a small and simple nipple/base to ram the comp so as not to sacrifice the integrity of the choke. then rammed in a back plug of clay that was about 1/2 the ID of the case.

Took it outside and buried about 1/4 of the case to hold it upright, 5 inches of visco to be safe and MAN, What a nice Energetic Fountain, I would say it's total spray was about 12 to 15 feet high, and lasted about 10 or 15 seconds. I know its a fountain, but I am going to adopt it for wheel drivers, in doing so I think I will have to make the back plug 1 ID instead to eliminate the possibility of a blow through. Thanks for passing on the formula and I'll let you know how they do as wheel drivers, heck as noisy and energetic as it was, I may just turn it upside down put a stick on it and see if it'll fly.......

Regards, Stay Green

Bear
There are old pyros, and there are bold pyros, but there are not very many old, bold pyros....

Check Out My E-Bay Auctions !!

#53 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 04:48 PM

BigG,

Was the case a burn through or pressure breach, I.E; did it go bang?  That formula burns hot! (Just tried it) Casing was 30mm, 5mm wall, 20cm length. 25 mm clay choke 1 ID of case (I use Durhams Rock hard water putty brand, not wetted at all) , rammed til it barely bulged the case. (Ten solid blows from a 5 pound dead blow hammer) The case was from New England Paper Tube company, or NEPT. They make Solid as a rock casings, expensive, but worth it. drilled choke before ramming comp to 15mm. Made a small and simple nipple/base to ram the comp so as not to sacrifice the integrity of the choke. then rammed in a back plug of clay that was about 1/2 the ID of the case.

Took it outside and buried about 1/4 of the case to hold it upright, 5 inches of visco to be safe and MAN, What a nice Energetic Fountain, I would say it's total spray was about 12 to 15 feet high, and lasted about 10 or 15 seconds. I know its a fountain, but I am going to adopt it for wheel drivers, in doing so I think I will have to make the back plug 1 ID instead to eliminate the possibility of a blow through. Thanks for passing on the formula and I'll let you know how they do as wheel drivers, heck as noisy and energetic as it was, I may just turn it upside down put a stick on it and see if it'll fly.......

Regards, Stay Green

Bear

You are most welcome. It was a burn through. No boom or anything - but the casing was clogged through and through.

I assume you used the original materials: I.E antinomy Tri-sulphide and 350 mesh AL. It is a strong formula – and I’m sure it will look great on a wheel! Did you get a good glitter from it?

I think it will work fine for my casting if I will lower the amount of strontium and al. Will let you know.

#54 BurlHorse

BurlHorse

Burlhorse

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 05:54 PM

Fortunatly G, I had everything in stock, I'll let you know on the wheels, but it looks promising.

Regards, Stay Green,

Bear
There are old pyros, and there are bold pyros, but there are not very many old, bold pyros....

Check Out My E-Bay Auctions !!

#55 castillareno

castillareno

pyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 01:57 AM

Please, how I can do fountains using titanium?.

P.D = to indicate "MESH" of the titanium in the compositions.

THANKS ! friends.

#56 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 10:07 AM

Simple formula from Lancaster that works well ? for fountains 18-75mm inside diameter with a choke up to half the size:

KNO3: 27
S: 14
Charcoal +40-100 mesh : 9
BP: 40
Titanium 40 mesh: 10

Just mix through screen 5-6 times. When filling the tube do it by pressing the composition ? Do not RAM it. In general ? it?s not good idea to ram any fountain containing Ti.

When developing your own formulas, keep TI to7-10%. More then that will makes the composition quite friction sensitive.

#57 castillareno

castillareno

pyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 11:01 PM

Please, I wish some web page to see photos and process of load of fountains, besides formulae. NO RAMMER. Press, then?

P.D= I can replace the titanium 40 mesh with titanium of 60 mesh?

I write from Madrid (SPAIN). I use web translator.

Edited by castillareno, 07 March 2004 - 11:02 PM.

#58 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

Light Up The Sky - KF Pyro Crew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 09:11 AM

Usted debe ser capaz de utilizar 60 malla pero tener en cuenta esto en el di?metro de boca. Usted debe experimentar con mallas diferentes como hace gove los efectos diferentes.

Would love to know how well this translated.

Mark
KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#59 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 09:42 AM

Bable Fish thinks:

"You must be able to use 60 mesh but to consider this in the diameter of mouth. You must experiment with different meshes since she does gove the different effects."

#60 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

Light Up The Sky - KF Pyro Crew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 10:07 AM

Bwahahaaaa :P
I dont think using web translators is a good idea... not really that close to what the originall msg was.

Original was something along the lines of..

You can use different mesh sizes. The idea is to experiment with the different sizes as this is what alters the effect. Just make sure when increasing the particle size that you take the nozzle opening into account to avoid blockages.

(Pity I cant remember exactly how I said it)

Mark
KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users