• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 02:00 PM

I have noted this formula from Lancaster:

BP: 76
Strontium Carbonate: 10
Antimony Trisulphide: 8
Atomized Aluminium 350 mesh: 6

I gave this formula a go recently. It's a nice effect - bushy and energetic... not too much glittering happening, though. The video shows a few good flashes at the end, otherwise indistinguishable from the main column of sparks. I'm getting the feeling that my Aluminium of roughly 250mesh is not going to cut it as fas as glitter is concerned.

I can't seem to find "bright" aluminium anywhere, so I'm trying to find some glitter formula which uses Aluminium of a larger particle size. UN lists their coarse granular Al as being used in "some" glitter formulas - has anyone heard of any glitter formula which use Aluminium in the <325mesh range?... I'm not having any luck......

#92 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 05:22 PM

I tend to agree. The formula does seem to produce a strong flame but not great deal of glitter. You will observe the glitter better by using an unchoked fountain and standing quite close ? Focus on the main flame.

If you are using the standard 200-250 mesh you find in the UK, then the formula will need to be modified.

#93 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:19 AM

It's been a while, but I finally got a silver glitter fountain to work. Here's the formula:

Name: Winokur, silver 'C'
Source: Robert Winokur

Potassium Nitrate ? 52
Antimony Trisulfide, Chinese needle ?14
Barium Carbonate ?10 (I used Strontium Carbonate)
Charcoal Airfloat ?10
Sulfur ?7
Aluminum, atom, spher, 120-325 mesh, 20 micron ?7

NOTES:
Small to medium grained and very dense silver glitter. Best of the Winokur A-C gerbs. Most effective if used unchoked in a 5/8 inch ID or larger case.

This was screened twice, then the metals and Antimony were added with the diapering method. I think this formula is best suited to a 1/2" or 5/8" case. The 3/4" version is much less energetic and would need elavating to stop the spritzels burning to the ground. I will be maing a fan of these with the 1/2" tubes.

Video to come soon.

Edit: Here's the link - Glitter fountain (10Meg)
This one was 3/4" ID, unchoked.

Edited by Creepin_pyro, 22 September 2005 - 01:03 AM.

#94 pritch

pritch

rocket man

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 11:24 AM

Pyro4life I have a nice fe/ti formula. It was basically an upside down rocket which is very high powered with a high plume :)

90% fast meal( I used willow charcoal)
mix in 8% fe-ti or any metal should do

One inch inner diameter by around 5 inches length but you can have longer if you wish. 4 mm nozzle with no core at all. Just ram it all in tight.

Heres a video of one I made. It was only 7 cm long so lasted about 2-3 seconds but it went very high. About the hight of the christmas tree so like 20 feet or so but i didnt capture it all on my digi cam cause I was too close. This is an old vid ive posted before but since you asked for a fe-ti formula i may as well show it :)

http://www.pyroshack...os/fountain.MOV

Edited by pritch, 20 September 2005 - 11:26 AM.

#95 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 09:16 PM

Pyro4life I have a nice fe/ti formula. It was basically an upside down rocket which is very high powered with a high plume :)

90% fast meal( I used willow charcoal)
mix in 8% fe-ti or any metal should do

One inch inner diameter by around 5 inches length but you can have longer if you wish. 4 mm nozzle with no core at all. Just ram it all in tight.

Heres a video of one I made. It was only 7 cm long so lasted about 2-3 seconds but it went very high. About the hight of the christmas tree so like 20 feet or so but i didnt capture it all on my digi cam cause I was too close. This is an old vid ive posted before but since you asked for a fe-ti formula i may as well show it :)

http://www.pyroshack...os/fountain.MOV

what's the other 2%?
a binder?
or was it just a mistake in addition.

#96 KC Blast

KC Blast

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 10:48 PM

Hey gang -
I've been having a little trouble with some of my fountains. I get a lot of thrust, but little effect. A lot of fire but little sparks. I'm using two types of formulas. One is the plain charcoal formula, the other is the silver formula using kno3, magnalium, sulfer, and one more I can't remember. I use a 3/4" tube with a 5/8" choke. Any ideas on how I can get more effect and less fire/thrust? Thank you all!

#97 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 12:12 AM

Smaller choke by far. The general rule of thumb is 1/3 the ID. That would be 1/4". I'm rather impressed you were able to even get a 5/8" choke in a 3/4" tube.

#98 KC Blast

KC Blast

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 07:47 PM

I would think the smaller choke would yeild more thrust. I will give it a try and hopefully get better results. Thank you very much!! :)

#99 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 08:46 PM

Hey gang -
I've been having a little trouble with some of my fountains. I get a lot of thrust, but little effect. A lot of fire but little sparks. I'm using two types of formulas. One is the plain charcoal formula, the other is the silver formula using kno3, magnalium, sulfer, and one more I can't remember. I use a 3/4" tube with a 5/8" choke. Any ideas on how I can get more effect and less fire/thrust? Thank you all!

Well, My guess is that formulas are just plain wrong. I don't know what "Plain Charcoal" means. Is that Plain BP? Because plain BP burns very clean and does not produce sparks. The other formula does not have any spark producer as well - magnesium burns very hot and clean - probably evaporated any possible spark you had coming out of the tube.

You want to start with simple BP with 10% of Spark Producing Metal - for example, aluminium, iron, titanium, ferro-titanium. DO NOT use magnesium or Magnelium - you won't get much sparks.

#100 KC Blast

KC Blast

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 09:10 PM

Ahhh Haahh! Then that was my problem. I was using Magnelium too in some of my fountains. It looks like a trip to firefox for some more chems. I had to make an order anyway, now I have an even better excuse. My fiance loves fountains so I'll just tell her that it's all for her! :)

Edited by BigG, 04 October 2005 - 08:35 AM.

#101 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 09:21 PM

Magnalium can work quite well in gerbs, try using courser grades.

#102 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 08:36 AM

I have deleted and amended a few posts. Please stick to the subject of the thread!

#103 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 02:01 PM

I've had great success using this comp in 3/4" fountains, both choked and unchoked. The ingredients should not be ball milled together- in fact I've used coarse Kno3 with no problems. A few screenings with a 25mesh screen should suffice. I add any metals after screening with the diapering method.

"Basic Fountain Mix" by Tom Perigrin

Potassium Nitrate ?66
Charcoal Airfloat ?24
Sulfur ?10

Notes:
This is the basic fountain mix as shown by Tom Perigrin in the AFN video #V8Q ''Pyro Tools & Fountains''.
According to Tom, you can add things like larger charcoal (36, 80 mesh), brake turnings, ferro titanium, titanium, ferro aluminum or aluminum, about 10% of any of these additives.

An example of this formula in action can be found here:
http://creeper.250free.com/100000.rar

Edited by Creepin_pyro, 13 October 2005 - 09:01 AM.

#104 completebeginner

completebeginner

Made My First Working Shell!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 01:58 AM

if i were to make a fountain and put course bits of magnesium would i get a crackling fountain?

#105 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 02:09 AM

Not really, I tried it myself with some Magnesium Shreds I had, Magnesium doesn't tend to spark to well, it's mainly just good for flash and stars.
Category 4 Trained to BPA Level 1 Equivalent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users