31 replies to this topic

#1 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 09:51 AM

Well, the trouble with free webspace is that there are adds and there is limited space. Your very own webserver would cost money-money that you might want to pay every month. After searching the web for cheap web hosting I have found one that has a very attractive offer and is cheap although I still would rather not have to pay out $30 a year so then i came up with a plan.

Now, nothing has been set in stone yet and this is just a suggestion but what if the people who wanted webspace got together and chucked in a couple of quid every year and we bought some real webspace.

Here is some working out-

3 people get togther and it will cost us ?5.88 a year.
4 people get togther and it will cost us ?4.42 a year.
5 people get togther and it will cost us ?3.53 a year.

If you want to convert them to another currancy, Click Here

Those prices include the webspace and domain name. To see the package I was considering, Click Here and look under the PP-Expert heading. That should be enough for 3 people and we can buy more space at $10 extra a year for another 100Mb. Bandidth is another $1 a month for an extra 1Gb but I dont think we would need it with 10Gb bandwidth already.

We would divide the space up and each person would have their own sub-domain so mine could be amateurpyro.ourdomain.com.

Of course there would be a lot of planning involved i.e.domain name, web space, how payment is sent, if someone couldnt pay, server administration etc.

Like I said, this is only an idea. There may be cheaper hosting and people may not have the time sometimes.

Post veiws, plans, ideas and any questions bellow.

Stuart

#2 tajmiester

tajmiester

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 01:43 PM

Hi,

There can be some problems when splitting up webspace:
  • Firstly most hosting companies only allow one real domain name per account and some of them might get cranky if they find out your are hosting several sites on one account.
  • Secondally comes security: Another problem is that although some hosting companies let you have more than one FTP account the main one will give complete access to all of your websites, and so who ever has that main FTP account can, delete, change or view any part of any of your sites!
If you want webhosting the best thing is to try and find a small company with a couple of servers that can give you your exact spec (preferably in the UK!). I have got hosting packages with both:

DHRX.co.uk and Wiserhosting.com

Both of these are good, but of the two I prefer dhrx.co.uk. I have got 200mb of space 1 MySQL database, Perl, PHP, frontpage extentions (if you like that sort of thing <_< ), unlimitted mail accounts, 6GB monthly bandwidth etc... for ?30 a year, not too bad.

And if you want domain name the BEST place is:

www.123-reg.co.uk

Tris :)

Edited by tajmiester, 12 November 2003 - 01:45 PM.

#3 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 04:38 PM

If you look at the control panel (they provide a demo), you can give diffrent subdomains and set the users. Everyone could have their own subdomain thats independant of another. As for the security bit, everyone has their own FTP account including the admin. Someone could be elected the main admin. I dout there would be much arguments, just say that everyone has so much space and if they want more, they pay for it.

Edited by Stuart, 12 November 2003 - 04:38 PM.

#4 Chris

Chris

The new guy

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 11:28 PM

Another hosting company that I have recently signed up with is www.creativesell.net I've got 200Mb space, 2Gb transfer and 2 MySQL for ?20 a year, don't know whether it's any good reliability wise yet, but the control panel provided is very good, can add subdomains, users and allsorts.

Tris, never tried 123-reg, but i've heard good things about it like you say, but i've always used ukreg.com. :)

#5 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 02:29 PM

Get your own server of the computer control panel IIS your own web personal web server. It comes in windows 200 and 98 95 XP professional not XP home edition. I do not have it cause my pc is only XP home edition and there are more personal web servers. :D
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#6 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 04:41 PM

Get your own server of the computer control panel IIS your own web personal web server. It comes in windows 200 and 98 95 XP professional not XP home edition. I do not have it cause my pc is only XP home edition and there are more personal web servers. :D

That's probably very expensive option. You still need to connect to provider to publish your IP - and that cost a small fortune.

#7 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 04:53 PM

yer but you can build and publish the web site and be a web master on your own server IIS and others on your pc to. They are free and are more efective.

#8 PanMaster

PanMaster

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 07:19 PM

i got XP Pro on a rimax CDR, wheres the server program? in network settings?
adm inistrator controls?

Edited by PanMaster, 25 November 2003 - 07:20 PM.

Where are the matches?

#9 Rhodri

Rhodri

One of the gang!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 07:21 PM

Dons IT Head

"XP Pro on a CDR?

I wouldn't install that for public use (if you get my drift)."

:huh:
Making light, sound and good conversation.

#10 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 07:55 PM

yer but you can build and publish the web site and be a web master on your own server IIS and others on your pc to. They are free and are more efective.

But the computer would have to be on and connected to the internet at all times so the electricity bill would probably work out more than just paying for some web space but the idea is nice

Stuart

#11 Matt

Matt

Another Aussie Trying To take Over

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 12:33 AM

Bwahahahahaha Im getting a server through a mate for 9 dollarydoos a year. Couldnt think of a good name tho haha, I think im making it MattPyro.com but lets see if I go through with it first eh.

-Matt
Try to run! try to hide! Break on through to the other side!! YYYEEEAAAAOOHHHHHHHHAAAAHHHHHHHH

#12 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 07:30 AM

The server is in the my control panel and go to add or remove programs and go on Add new programs I think if wrong I will ask my dad were to fined it. You can put your pc on a standby all the time it doesn?t use any power and it is like it is shutdown but the server is still running you can put PHP and ASP web sites and others to. :lol:

#13 PanMaster

PanMaster

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 05:11 PM

oh yeah, you're right, just need to work out how to use it
Where are the matches?

#14 Chris

Chris

The new guy

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 06:51 PM

IIS is bad, full of security holes and other such nightmares.

http://httpd.apache.org is your friend. :)

#15 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 07:27 AM

Yea, I have heared a lot about IIS and its security holes. I use Apache on my computer and its great. No problms at all.

Stuart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users