Where are the matches?

#17 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 05:25 PM

You need to give us your IP to see your computer.

Stuart

#18 PanMaster

PanMaster

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 05:26 PM

no i don't, it works, just type panmaster, i'll create a page other than under construction

Edited by PanMaster, 27 November 2003 - 05:27 PM.

Where are the matches?

#19 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 08:52 PM

I have typed your address but got nothing. Do you mean the search address or some other address bar to see your computer?

Have you heard of the IIS server? I thought Stuart did PHP programing that uses a server and you can your IIS server and Microsoft's Personal Web Server (PWS). Here is how to find it:
How to install IIS and run ASP on Windows XP Professional.
Note: You cannot run ASP on Windows XP Home Edition.

Insert the Windows XP Professional CD-Rom into your CD-Rom Drive
From your Start Button, go to Settings, and Control Panel
In the Control Panel window select Add/Remove Programs
In the Add/Remove window select Add/Remove Windows Components
In the Wizard window check Internet Information Services, click OK
An Inetpub folder will be created on your harddrive
Open the Inetpub folder, and find a folder named wwwroot
Create a new folder, like "MyWeb", under wwwroot.
Use a text editor to write some ASP code, save the file as "test1.asp" in the "MyWeb" folder
Make sure your Web server is running - The installation program has added a new icon on your task bar (this is the IIS symbol). Click on the icon and press the Start button in the window that appears.
Open your browser and type in "http://localhost/MyWeb/test1.asp", to view your first ASP page.

Note Do not install any server untill you know what you are doing with it and how to put your pc on stanbye so like it is shuttdown bu it isen't they can be dangaruse.

Thats every thing.

Edited by Richard H, 28 November 2003 - 05:04 PM.

fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#20 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 06:53 AM

no i don't, it works, just type panmaster, i'll create a page other than under construction

If you typed panmaster on you computer it will work because your computer will just go to localhost. I tried it in a few minutes after you made the post asking people to try it and it didnt work. You cant just type the name of your computer into the address bar and get to it from the internet, what if somebody had the same computer name. This is why we have Internet Protocol, when you connect, instead of using you computer's name to identify its self, you use an IP address. If you want people to be able to just type panmaster and get your computer, you should get a DNS.

Stuart

#21 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 09:06 AM

so were do i type it.

#22 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 09:12 AM

Guys - listen. You are missing the point. You can have a server until tomorrow. Still, nobody will be able to connect to it.

In order for someone else to connect to your server, you must have a UNIQUE ip address. To do this, you must publish your ip address, which means you must buy or rent that IP address from a provider.

Buying or renting an ip from a provider is VERY expensive. You pay according to the traffic on your site, and if your site is popular – the price will be very high.

That’s why you have hosting services – they owe the IP, they are already connected – and they can limit the amount of traffic you are running through – which mean they can make sure they still make profit.

IIS or apache is great if you have your own intranet that you share with people around you – but to connect that server to the Internet is an expensive business.

#23 PanMaster

PanMaster

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 04:39 PM

my ip address is always 217.155.56.126
BigG, i don't think even this site is on a real server, leased lines cost 20 grand a year.

Edited by PanMaster, 28 November 2003 - 04:41 PM.

Where are the matches?

#24 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 04:53 PM

I use a server down at London Docklands with a contention ratio of 200 sites.

#25 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 04:59 PM

Guys - listen. You are missing the point. You can have a server until tomorrow. Still, nobody will be able to connect to it.

In order for someone else to connect to your server, you must have a UNIQUE ip address. To do this, you must publish your ip address, which means you must buy or rent that IP address from a provider.

Buying or renting an ip from a provider is VERY expensive. You pay according to the traffic on your site, and if your site is popular ? the price will be very high.

That?s why you have hosting services ? they owe the IP, they are already connected ? and they can limit the amount of traffic you are running through ? which mean they can make sure they still make profit.

IIS or apache is great if you have your own intranet that you share with people around you ? but to connect that server to the Internet is an expensive business.

Actually there is a way for home users to run a web server, If you have a broadband connection like me you can setup a server on your local machine and install apache etc. The software sets up port forwarding so any incoming port 80 (HTTP) requests will result in the user being served the pages in your HTTP folder.

Usually with a broadband provider you keep the same IP address (which is leased to your cable modem) unless you switch it off and DHCP will assign you a new one when you come back online.

I've run an experimental server on my home machine without problems. If you are going to try it make sure your system is secure! Best way to do it is to get a router/firewall combo and place your server under a DMZ.

#26 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 07:38 PM

yer and have your computer on at all times on standby other wise it will stop the connection and fail doing what it should be doing. I know some things about servers cause I am a computer programmer and pyrotechnist but I like fireworks much more than programming I am a internet programmer and java™ platform programmer well learning still. :D

#27 Chris

Chris

The new guy

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 09:56 AM

Anyone with a connection to the internet can run their own server, you don't need any of this leased IP mallarky, becuase just by being connected to the net you have an IP, that everyone else on the net can connect to. This means you can run whatever you like on it and people will be able to connect from wherever. I have a couple at home for games and such on my LAN, but they are also accessible from the internet, should I want my friends to join in or something.

Panmaster, you need to read up on this subject if you want to get it going properly, it's pretty simple once you know how. First of all I would suggest removing IIS or putting it back into it's dungeon within Windows and use Apache. Your computer will have to be on all of the time if it is to be of any use to anyone, I have my Linux servers on 24/7 (they've been on for 95 days now, i'm going for personal best lol ;)). Then if you have a dynamic IP, you can get something that will always update a domain record with your IP as it changes, so people will always be able to access your computer. Have a look at www.dyndns.org

#28 tajmiester

tajmiester

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 11:03 PM

Hi,

Actually there is a way for home users to run a web server, If you have a broadband connection like me you can setup a server on your local machine and install apache etc. The software sets up port forwarding so any incoming port 80 (HTTP) requests will result in the user being served the pages in your HTTP folder.

Is there any way of setting up a server if you have a local area network behind the connection? My connection goes cable modem, firewall/router, hub and so presumably I would need to replace the router with a dedicated PC? Otherwise how would HTTP requests get routed internally to the correct PC with apache on it?

Tris

#29 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 08:39 AM

If you want to get to another computer on the network running a webserver, type in the computers IP or name into the address bar. So if my brother want to get to my computer, he would type

stuart-computer or 192.168.0.1

as that is the name and IP of my computer.

I am not sure how to block requests from the internet but I do it by putting my ports into stealth mode for the internet and sharing mode for the LAN.

Stuart

Edited by Stuart, 30 November 2003 - 08:41 AM.

#30 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 01:18 PM

how would HTTP requests get routed internally to the correct PC with apache on it?

Your firewall/router should have a "port forwarding" [or similar] section on it. In this section you can set it up to forward incoming connections on a specific port [say, 80 for web requests] to a specific port on another IP address [the IP address of the web server on your internal network]

You can also use this to doe tricks whereby you force all outgoing web requests to go via a caching web-proxy [eg: squid on linux].

Redirect all outgoing connections on port 80 to proxyserver on port 3128 [for example]

This will improve the apparant speed of your web browsing no-end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users