45 replies to this topic

#31 Mixologist

Mixologist

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:39 PM

Gunpowder plot fanned is a fantastic bit of black powder pyro with excellent mine lifts.

I heard something on the grapevine about bending the flash rules slightly by using some ratio in the lift powder maybe that as blackpowder and upping the flash in the bombette? I really cant remember any detail but if anyone knows could they remind me from my crap particle of infromation there?!

#32 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:49 PM

Gunpowder plot fanned is a fantastic bit of black powder pyro with excellent mine lifts.

I heard something on the grapevine about bending the flash rules slightly by using some ratio in the lift powder maybe that as blackpowder and upping the flash in the bombette? I really cant remember any detail but if anyone knows could they remind me from my crap particle of infromation there?!

I think for an item to be classed as 1.4G it must contain less than 5% flash (per tube). Is that what you were thinking of?
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#33 chimp

chimp

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:03 PM

Also FI stuff like Babboons and Bazookas

What's the effects in this one?

#34 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:48 PM

What's the effects in this one?

It was 40 shots, fanned with mixed effects- hummers/spinners, fish (or possibly bees, depending on definition), little coloured bursts etc. Nothing "massive" but at that price I liked it!

#35 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:01 PM

but Baboons and Bazookas doesn't fit with your £10 comment as its double that :)

#36 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:16 PM

but Baboons and Bazookas doesn't fit with your £10 comment as its double that :)

£11.99 (2008 price)

Shop link Not the one I bought it from, but thats one stockist.

Might be £20 now, though, I havn't seen the new catalogue.

#37 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:59 PM

highlights the price rises I guess :)

#38 chimp

chimp

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:56 PM

It's interesting how difficult it is to judge a firework in the absence of price......Something at a tenner can be regarded as the bees knees, but up it to twenty and all of a sudden it becomes a lepper Posted Image

The (obvious) trick I suppose, is to manage to produce something eye catching at a keen price - rather than to simply build loads of dollars into the product. At twenty quid I suspect Baboons will often be passed over, whereas at the original price it probably stood up well against the competition.

#39 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:15 PM

but up it to twenty and all of a sudden it becomes a lepper ../../public/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif

never said it wasn't worth the money, just that it no longer fits in the "good at a tenner" scenario :)

#40 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:07 PM

It's interesting how difficult it is to judge a firework in the absence of price......Something at a tenner can be regarded as the bees knees, but up it to twenty and all of a sudden it becomes a lepper Posted Image

Possibly they have "improved" the effects this year. Hard to say. Mine was 2008 spec.

Maybe it's somewhat psychological, but £20 seems a lot more money than £11.99.

#41 chimp

chimp

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:03 PM

Maybe it's somewhat psychological, but £20 seems a lot more money than £11.99.

No, it's not psychological, £20 is actually a lot more than £11.99.......Posted Image (sorry - couldn't resist it!)

(I know what you meant Stu Posted Image ; I wasn't responding to your reply directly, just making a general comment. Albeit, I do think £20 is certainly OTT )

Edited by chimp, 30 July 2009 - 05:09 PM.

#42 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:03 PM

No, it's not psychological, £20 is actually a lot more than £11.99.......Posted Image (sorry - couldn't resist it!)

( Albeit, I think £20 is certainly OTT )

Personnally, I agree- and I wouldn't pay £20 for it, especially as it used to be £12.

I just wonder, though, if it's one of those "inflated" RRPs to allow for discounted selling prices.

Fireworks International sell fireworks directly, through their website.

Currently it's on thier website as part of an 8 pack, with a 2008 RRP of £119, which they sell for £110.

At 2009 prices the "RRP" will be something like £160-£170. So what they might do is raise the price of that pack to about £125, and ALSO claim it's being sold at discount of about 20% (when compared to RRP.)

#43 Mixologist

Mixologist

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:45 PM

To clarify.....

If i was in china and a salute cake for example was 1.1g the way i would get this item 1.3g is to say right bump some coloured lift into each tube, say blue mine lift. Then the overall amount of comp in the tube is raised and the content %age of flash is reduced. Therefore the flash content can be brought down to 5%

The cake now has more comp in it than when it was 1.1 but it now meets the classification on 1.3G so can import it. Bigger Bangs

Interesting hey???!

#44 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:10 PM

IMO the Chinese factories will get really good at the use of the exact amount of flash, both measuring it and utilising it for effect. Beyond that The BP effects will have to work because that's all that will get classified in cat 1 - 3 for retail.

It would be very unwise to import some non retail fireworks on false documents!
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#45 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:05 AM

To clarify.....

If i was in china and a salute cake for example was 1.1g the way i would get this item 1.3g is to say right bump some coloured lift into each tube, say blue mine lift. Then the overall amount of comp in the tube is raised and the content %age of flash is reduced. Therefore the flash content can be brought down to 5%

The cake now has more comp in it than when it was 1.1 but it now meets the classification on 1.3G so can import it. Bigger Bangs

Interesting hey???!

I think the composition weight limit for a Cat 3 firework is 25g per "shot", as mentioned on another thread, so that is a factor.

Anyone know the whys and wherefores of it?

Edited by David, 01 August 2009 - 12:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users