185 replies to this topic

#121 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:57 AM

I have to agree with Mortartube and pyrotechnist on this. (love your rants mate) YES, they maybe good fireworks out there, but most of which still lack creativeness IMO. I'll probibly get loads of names here, but show me a cake which doesn't have a crackle effect in. While I do like the effect, it's WAY over used IMO. BTW Mortartube, all my hummers are 15mmID, watch "another" space

Regarding "all year round" fireworks and GFN, the magic is still very much there for me, there's something in the air on the 5th B) It's my Xmas!!
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#122 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:05 AM

I'll probibly get loads of names here, but show me a cake which doesn't have a crackle effect in.

It's certainly an overly-used effect- I think a lot of cakes have crackle included as a replacement for a report.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#123 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:11 AM

It's a popular way of making things appear loud! A single bullet crack is perhaps in the order of 150dB but film and TV cannot reproduce that so they lengthen the noise instead of making it louder. That way a fireworker can get lots of noise without being too loud.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#124 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 03:35 PM

[quote name='pyrotechnist' date='26 September 2009 - 04:03 PM' timestamp='1253977437' post='59477']
Instead of coming on a form and going on about our currently extremely shit and poor performance fireworks why don't you and all the others (that including myself) go to try and get the new laws changed and some oldies exempted again. It seems that the government are merely listening to god fearing pet owning do gooders.....

First class pyrotechnist !!
Someone after my own heart - and many other passionate pyro's out there I am sure.

I am sick of being classed the same as the minority of tw.ts hell bent on ruining our GFN tradition.

Just show me the paperwork and I'll gladly sign up.

There must be someone on this forum that can draft up an appropriate style of paper or know someone who can. Perhaps something for the next forum meeting agenda ?

I'm not being naive here - you dont get if you dont ask. So lets ask.....

Best rant so far pyrotechnist - superb !

#125 chimp

chimp

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:55 PM

Just show me the paperwork and I'll gladly sign up.

There must be someone on this forum that can draft up an appropriate style of paper or know someone who can. Perhaps something for the next forum meeting agenda ?

I'm not being naive here - you dont get if you dont ask. So lets ask.....

Without wishing to sound defeatist Floyd or dampen your spirits on this, you do need to put things into perspective a little. The UN Defaults, 1.4 spec changes and so on have all been brought about to align EU countries and reduce Hazards and Risks associated with explosives as a whole. As passionate as members of this forum are the chances of effecting an about turn on these regulations are rather limited to say the least.

Ranting about s..t fireworks is unlikely to change matters a whole lot, the most positive thing such passionate people can do is to go out and seek 1.3 products whilst they're still available to the public.

Mind you, I can't disagree with your logic of you don't get if you don't ask.....it's just that you often ask but still don't get.

#126 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:45 PM

As passionate as members of this forum are the chances of effecting an about turn on these regulations are rather limited to say the least.

Your comment may be valid to a degree and in which case then perhaps we want to concentrate on stopping the diminishment of "old school fireworks" any further. Choice in the market place should prevail which in my opinion should therefore include the long term provision of 1.3G to the public.
Currently 1.3G ticks all the regulatory boxes for sale to the public. Lets not speculate on this changing too much.

Perhaps now is the time for all interested parties on this forum to draft something up to lobby the next Government.

#127 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:20 PM

Don't forget that there have been other changes too (it's not just about 1.3G and 1.4G.) The 120DB noise limit has taken the loudest fireworks off the market (I'm not saying this is a bad thing) and it would appear that new regualtions may offically end up limiting powerweight to 1 KG NEC . Some ranges already work to this limit.

There has, thankfully, been some balance. A lot of the never fireworks are certainly more creative, with quality rich colours, for example.

But my point here is that ther ehave been several changes. It's not simply the case that a single law could be changed, like flicking a switch, and suddenly "old school" fireworks would be back.

Edited by David, 28 September 2009 - 05:21 PM.

#128 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:00 PM

[quote name='portfire' date='27 September 2009 - 09:57 AM' timestamp='1254041871' post
Regarding "all year round" fireworks and GFN, the magic is still very much there for me, there's something in the air on the 5th B) It's my Xmas!!

Here here,
the 5th to me is still a magic time for me and i have been busy working towards it since early july,i cant wait and get excited thinking about it.
[/quote]

Edited by starseeker, 28 September 2009 - 08:06 PM.

#129 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:30 AM

Ahh thank you all :) though I am sure plenty of more rants to come :) on the subject of our bleak firework laws and regulations. About the EU who ever wanted to join it in the first place? did we even get a vote for joining it? I dont think we did and if I am correct I heard recently someone is looking into that again for the people who dont want to be apart of the shitty EU. That brings me to another point, if we are going with EU guidelines then wow there must be more pet owners who think there pet dog Wolfy or pet cat Alfred is more afraid of little bangs than I originally thought in all these countries. I am sure the animals in Malta are fine with the huge salutes and multi-break shells they make :o and if they are then our animals are its just that people want to complain about something others love because they have a grim life and so say their dog or cat hates fireworks etc.

This country needs its people otherwise what is it? simply nothing and if enougth people ranted about something for a long enougth period I am sure they would take it on board to look into as a government is not a government if it has no people to follow them. I would love to see some oldies come back and even fireworks that where never banned in the first place made again or a much wider variety than we have. I am sick of seeing lovely named little boxes instead of set pieces, wheels, fountains, mines, mine and candle banquets, large rockets (without a 1" shell in them you crafty firework sellers think we cant find out dont you ;).), single shot devices and more decorative style cakes with much MUCH more variety and effect. I am sure I have missed a few fireworks out here but you get the picture and actually I just have a picture for you to see how fireworks used to look in a shop window below :):

Old Shop & Fireworks

Now that is what I call a firework collection, just looking at it makes me wanna raid each item from that shop. But wait I have more this is todays shops :>:

New Shop & Fireworks

What a difference, we go from lovely designed fireworks with a large variety of shapes and sizes to tubes and boxes that contain nothing more than a pyrotechnical version of coco pops, charcoal, aluminum and some colour.
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#130 chimp

chimp

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:12 AM

Ahh thank you all Posted Image though I am sure plenty of more rants to come Posted Image on the subject of our bleak firework laws and regulations. About the EU who ever wanted to join it in the first place? did we even get a vote for joining it? I dont think we did and if I am correct I heard recently someone is looking into that again for the people who dont want to be apart of the shitty EU. That brings me to another point, if we are going with EU guidelines then wow there must be more pet owners who think there pet dog Wolfy or pet cat Alfred is more afraid of little bangs than I originally thought in all these countries. I am sure the animals in Malta are fine with the huge salutes and multi-break shells they make Posted Image and if they are then our animals are its just that people want to complain about something others love because they have a grim life and so say their dog or cat hates fireworks etc.

This country needs its people otherwise what is it? simply nothing and if enougth people ranted about something for a long enougth period I am sure they would take it on board to look into as a government is not a government if it has no people to follow them. I would love to see some oldies come back and even fireworks that where never banned in the first place made again or a much wider variety than we have. I am sick of seeing lovely named little boxes instead of set pieces, wheels, fountains, mines, mine and candle banquets, large rockets (without a 1" shell in them you crafty firework sellers think we cant find out dont you Posted Image.), single shot devices and more decorative style cakes with much MUCH more variety and effect. I am sure I have missed a few fireworks out here but you get the picture and actually I just have a picture for you to see how fireworks used to look in a shop window below Posted Image:

Old Shop & Fireworks

Now that is what I call a firework collection, just looking at it makes me wanna raid each item from that shop. But wait I have more this is todays shops :>:

New Shop & Fireworks

What a difference, we go from lovely designed fireworks with a large variety of shapes and sizes to tubes and boxes that contain nothing more than a pyrotechnical version of coco pops, charcoal, aluminum and some colour.

They don't make 'em like they used to.....

Mind you, Newsbox (second photo) has some very nice fireworks on display if you look closely enough - also Raj is one of the top guys down here when it comes to selling pyro.

#131 Epic Fireworks

Epic Fireworks

Pyro Grand Master

• UKPS Advertisers
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 04:52 AM

Mind you, Newsbox (second photo) has some very nice fireworks on display if you look closely enough - also Raj is one of the top guys down here when it comes to selling pyro.

Your right Chimp - he really is a good guy.Posted Image

Epic Fireworks
Wentworth Business Park
Maple Road
Tankersley
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
S75 3DL

Tel - 01226 749 587
Fax - 01226 361 858

#132 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:28 PM

Just to re focus this thread - Quiet fireworks must be for dummies Posted Image boom boom !!

#133 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:18 AM

I'm expecting most things around were I live to be toned down this year as most people buy from Supermarkets and seasonal shops, only a couple buy from all year round stores.

If what is available is poor stuff then I fear this year could be the final big one before people give up and go to organized events.

Can anyone recommend Echo Bomb rockets? Anyone had them and are they as loud as you would expect?

#134 dogsbody

dogsbody

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 12:59 PM

Can anyone recommend Echo Bomb rockets? Anyone had them and are they as loud as you would expect

nope, but I have some in my display, so hope they are good as I am using them as openers and pre finale

#135 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 01:09 PM

Can anyone recommend Echo Bomb rockets? Anyone had them and are they as loud as you would expect?

The are loud rockets, within the new regulations. So don't expect the volume of, for example, the old Hellraisers or old "signal rockets."

A co-ordinated firing could produce a decent effect.

Edited by David, 01 October 2009 - 01:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users