• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#46 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 09:45 PM

LadyKate I really loved that tail! Hopefully I can pull that off with a 1" comet, softer lift, and a longer length. Did you mill the comp for 12 hours like Bleser recomends?(minus the FeTi of course)

Anyone happen to have video of a Shimizu Silver Wave 50/50 ratio by any chance?

Creepin you dont happen to have that vid in mpeg, avi, or mov format do you?

Edited by italteen3, 11 October 2005 - 10:13 PM.

#47 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 10:09 PM

I havent made a fountain yet...but when you see a nice one like that you think i gotta make one of them...and the terminology "chuffing " is what i would describe.I also remember a nice fountain you made with i think was Blue microstars ...that also got a " ohh thats pretty from my GF :wub: "..

Keep up the good work...

Also you have tempted me with that Ebay item...But the price is going up and up...& i can see you have bidded for the item..If the formulas were more modern i would make a Bid for sure... :)

#48 TzaRocket

TzaRocket

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 05:58 PM

I didn't know were to post this so I will here:

A few fireworks from my piro night in the mountains:

#49 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:01 PM

I think my stuff is pretty professional.

My shells reach twelve seconds of flight time before exploding, but I am using VERY expensive to produce lift.

Once I can find a program that converts MPEGII to a format exportable in windows movie maker I will show you guys some of my work.

#50 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 08:45 AM

Errrrrm... No shell should fly 12 seconds and then explode :P Not even the famous 48" shell got 12 seconds from lift to apogee...

Edited by paul, 05 August 2007 - 08:46 AM.

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#51 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 08:53 AM

12 seconds, what is that... rocket assisted?

#52 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 08:56 AM

Is there a simple formula for time/height etc?
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#53 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 09:06 AM

Depends on the exit velocity, i imagine it would be over 200fps

#54 Anders Greenman

Anders Greenman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 01:14 PM

There's a formula, but it is only for calculating height based on the time it takes for something to fall down. It's not very accurate too, but it works ok if the objects is not very non-aerodynamic.

X=T2*G/2

X= altitude
T= time in seconds taken to fall from maximum altitude
G= acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s/s)
Føkk off mate!

#55 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 03:48 PM

given that a falling object (and also a rising object) are unlikely to reach terminal velocity from the heights shells will get to, aerodynamics wouldn't make any noticeable difference anyway?

There is a formula Ive seen somewhere that enables you to calculate knowing the time from launch to landing of an object its height. If I remember its based on knowing gravatational pull slowing an object down the accelerating it towards earth.

as any object rising will have the same force slowing it down going up that it will have pulling it down then the mass of an object will have little impact on the hang time as it will counter balance from going up to coming down.

#56 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:05 AM

It was a 2" salute with a weight on it.

And it was indeed in the air for twelve seconds.

I thought the shell was dud when I heard the report and saw the cloud of smoke floating the sky far over my house (Funny because it was pointing away).

#57 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:26 PM

given that a falling object (and also a rising object) are unlikely to reach terminal velocity from the heights shells will get to, aerodynamics wouldn't make any noticeable difference anyway?

The aerodynamics (or at least the drag) make a big difference to the shell flight. Here's my latest model of a 4" shell (that doesn't burst) fired straight upwards. The x-axis is time in seconds.

Posted Image

This has broadly matches my own experiments and data tables from various literature. The shell is launched at about 5 times its free fall terminal velocity, so the air drag on it at first is very much greater than its weight. If the shell doesn't burst, it does indeed approach terminal velocity on the way back down.

To put this into perspective, if you launched the same shell at the same speed without any air resistance, it would take 12s to reach an apogee of 2450ft, as apposed to the 3.5s to reach 400ft with air resistance.

The action of air resistance gives rise to some very helpful effects:

Due to the 'damping action' on the motion, for a given shell, the time of flight is broadly constant over a fairly wide range of lift energies; the height is more sensitive. This means that you can experiment with quite a wide variation in lift powder quantities to 'dial in' the height', and the 3.5s fuse timing remains broadly the same.

This might also partly explain why there is such a variation in the reported 'ideal' amount of lift to use.

Edited by BrightStar, 06 August 2007 - 02:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users