23 replies to this topic

#16 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:23 AM

£20 And thats with a voucher, this sort of practice of the supermarkets needs to be stamped out.

I agree- I read that the powers that be are looking at retail price practices, including "Buy one get one free".

Buy one get one free is a good deal when, for example, shops are clearing out stock , overstocked lines, end of season lines - Christmas cards in January, for example. IE when the item has been on sale , without a "freebie" at full price previously.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#17 SamCT

SamCT

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 05:37 PM

Well Feck me, they're actually quite loud. (the single shots, didn't get a chance to fire any rockets)

The initial blast to fire the shot was real loud. was quite shocked. BUT... the actual 'bang' when the shot exploded was more of a strong fart than a bang....

So all in all swings and roundabouts... but i don't think they're too bad :)

I agree- I read that the powers that be are looking at retail price practices, including "Buy one get one free".

Buy one get one free is a good deal when, for example, shops are clearing out stock , overstocked lines, end of season lines - Christmas cards in January, for example. IE when the item has been on sale , without a "freebie" at full price previously.

Totally agree too, and all the council members are wondering why the independant shops are going out of business..

Edited by SamCT, 26 October 2009 - 05:39 PM.

#18 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:01 PM

The initial blast to fire the shot was real loud. was quite shocked. BUT... the actual 'bang' when the shot exploded was more of a strong fart than a bang....

Interesting- if somewhat predictableable.

The initial blast is more of a "functional" bang, rather than an effect in and of itself. It's caused by the blackpowder used to send the bombette up.

However, if that is actually noticably better than the burst itself, thats a little disappointing.

#19 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:50 PM

Interesting- if somewhat predictableable.

The initial blast is more of a "functional" bang, rather than an effect in and of itself. It's caused by the blackpowder used to send the bombette up.

However, if that is actually noticably better than the burst itself, thats a little disappointing.

In my opinion this is typical of 1.4G stuff to date - shite !

Would the original poster concur that the ideal combination is a loud launch and equally loud burst ?

I believe this is what you get with 1.3G consumer fireworks.

#20 SamCT

SamCT

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:29 PM

Would the original poster concur that the ideal combination is a loud launch and equally loud burst ?

nope, i totally agree...

although i do now feel i'm being frowned upon for buying them... :unsure:

#21 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:06 PM

nope, i totally agree...

although i do now feel i'm being frowned upon for buying them... Posted Image

Not at all Sam - sorry if I came across like that. Everything has its place even weaker blackpowder stuff - which you probably guess I am not a fan of.

What I think you experienced is exactly as I did last year after purchasing a lot of large bore Menshun stuff which the previous year was perfectly OK ie, nice loud bursts with variety of other effects and colour. Unfortunately the online stockist failed to properly inform me that the new spec (weaker) blackpowder fireworks had replaced the old spec flashpowder based fireworks and as such I and my audience were severely let down with the lack of punch (more like a weak fart). The real bummer was the fact that the firework description panels on the blackpowder versions were exactly the same as those on the old spec flash based fireworks - Titanium salutes etc etc. Very naughty.

If you like more traditional kinda meaty fireworks I would advise, as many others do on this forum, is to contact an all year round stockist. You will get better choice, quality and price and not forgetting friendly, professional advice (from most anyway)

Sorry for the speal and apolgies also if I am already preaching to the converted.

#22 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:36 PM

although i do now feel i'm being frowned upon for buying them... :unsure:

I wouldn't say that, as such.

It's more a general point- even with a voucher AND the instore "special" offers, what you got, in terms of value for money, I'd say looks about average.

Edited by David, 26 October 2009 - 11:37 PM.

#23 SamCT

SamCT

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:53 AM

If you like more traditional kinda meaty fireworks I would advise, as many others do on this forum, is to contact an all year round stockist. You will get better choice, quality and price and not forgetting friendly, professional advice (from most anyway)

Sorry for the speal and apolgies also if I am already preaching to the converted.

Certainly do!!!, i have been to my local all year round stockist and brought quite a few bits, (even got some discount for helping the lady out (she was about 5' and could open the rocket cage out the back!))

no worries, maybe i just read it in the wrong way :)

i'm sure i'll get round the problem of the single shotters being crap (by lighting 4 at a time) then onto the big stuff! :D

#24 Gigantic Crab!!!

Gigantic Crab!!!

Gigantic Crab!!!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:25 AM

i'm sure i'll get round the problem of the single shotters being crap (by lighting 4 at a time) then onto the big stuff! :D

Gigantic Crab!!! suggests discarding into the hands of any nearby young earthlings so they can play 'Star Wars'.
Should keep them occupied.

On reflection, and remembering that your puny and insignificant race struggles to survive without an exoskeleton, Gigantic Crab!!! notes that it may be your prerogative to only pass them out to the offspring of those you do not hold dear.

Puny sacks of flesh, HA HA HA HA HA.

Edited by Gigantic Crab!!!, 27 October 2009 - 11:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users