• Please log in to reply
415 replies to this topic

#181 ChrisP

ChrisP

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:38 AM

The warhawk rockets from lidl this year are really poor, dont buy any more if you were planning to. I did a test one and it was tottaly rubbish

:-( I was afraid of this. Got two packs of them already but definitely won't be getting any more. Did it have any effect to speak of? Looks like the only decent rockets I've got this year are the Kimbolton Medusa ones, all the others being Lidl TNT and Sainsbury's Standard.

#182 ChrisP

ChrisP

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:55 AM

Picked up the space fight cake last week, looked quite good.

I let it off last night (as part of Birthday celebrations Posted Image ) and, in my eyes it is brilliant value for money.

Red bursts with a gold tail and crackle!

I also got the £4.99 cake from lidl, and all I can say is that I will be going back for 2 of these rather than the 1 from lidl!

I went to Netto soon after their fireworks went on sale and they'd already sold out of these :-( Won't be going back either as it's too far for one cake. What's the £4.99 Lidl one like? I got one of those, too. Have you tried the other two Lidl cakes (Purple People Eater and Colour Explosion)? If so, are they any good?

#183 Nathan-NUFC

Nathan-NUFC

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:32 PM

They certainly used to, all year round. Had a good range, too. I forget the name, it was like a seperate firework shop attached to the side of a bigger joke shop.

I go to Newcastle a lot - was near there today, but can't think of any other fireworks shops.

ah well im going into town today so ill have a look, thanks pal

:-( I was afraid of this. Got two packs of them already but definitely won't be getting any more. Did it have any effect to speak of? Looks like the only decent rockets I've got this year are the Kimbolton Medusa ones, all the others being Lidl TNT and Sainsbury's Standard.

the rocket head looks quite big but its half empty, its really a very small effect about a tenth of the effect of the blue apollo rockets last year. very poor.

#184 ChrisP

ChrisP

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:47 PM

There's a video of Purple People Eater here. It's a video of the version sold in America, though, and I'm not sure whether the version sold here will be the same.

Also, can anyone tell me whether the Blue Apollo rockets sold in Lidl last year were old or new spec? I must admit I don't know much about the chemistry of fireworks or exactly what the new regulations stipulate, but I have read a lot about new spec fireworks lacking the oomph of the old spec stuff. The reason I'm asking is because those Blue Apollo rockets certainly packed a punch, and if that's new reg stuff then I'm impressed!

#185 Gigantic Crab!!!

Gigantic Crab!!!

Gigantic Crab!!!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:51 PM

Gigantic Crab!!! says: instead of having a couple of dozen threads about various supermarkets which all end up with the same comments about inflated RRPs and poor quality pyro, can we not have a sticky at the top of the page explaining in the simplest of terms that if you shop at supermarkets you're a complete tool?

Gigantic Crab!!! is only thinking of the forum and keeping it tidy, as being of such monstrous proportions is used to conserving space.

Suckers!!!
Gigantic Crab!!! does not fear for lack of space, he simply takes that of others, who are all powerless to defend themselves.

#186 ChrisP

ChrisP

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:45 PM

Gigantic Crab!!! says: instead of having a couple of dozen threads about various supermarkets which all end up with the same comments about inflated RRPs and poor quality pyro, can we not have a sticky at the top of the page explaining in the simplest of terms that if you shop at supermarkets you're a complete tool?

Gigantic Crab!!! is only thinking of the forum and keeping it tidy, as being of such monstrous proportions is used to conserving space.

Suckers!!!
Gigantic Crab!!! does not fear for lack of space, he simply takes that of others, who are all powerless to defend themselves.

It's not always bad, though; I really liked Lidl's stuff last year.

Back to the Sainsbury's rockets - I've just noticed they're not even featured in their leaflet so perhaps they've only ever been available as part of the newspaper offer. If true that makes the supposed £29.99 r.r.p. not only ridiculous but an outright lie, as they're not even being sold for that amount. Or perhaps the leaflet just doesn't cover their entire range.

#187 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:54 PM

Suckers!!!

Yep.

A single "supermarkets" thread would be good.

Edited by David, 28 October 2009 - 09:55 PM.

OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#188 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:08 PM

If true that makes the supposed £29.99 r.r.p. not only ridiculous but an outright lie, as they're not even being sold for that amount. Or perhaps the leaflet just doesn't cover their entire range.

An RRP isn't always meaningful, especially if the line/product is unique to a particular range.

#189 Mauser

Mauser

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:36 AM

Here's the price list for Asda's 2008 range...

Posted Image

Their selection boxes, rockets and cakes weren't anything special, although the prices were a lot better last year. I can't believe they're selling sparklers at £1 for 5, whereas last year they were £3 for 60.

I've also got the price lists for a couple of supermarkets...

Morrisons 2009

Sainsbury's 2008

Tesco 2008

Edited by Mauser, 29 October 2009 - 12:42 AM.

#190 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:35 AM

As suggested elsewhere, it does make sense, I feel to have a single thread for supermarkets, rather than have many repetative threads saying much the same thing.

So, if you have a question about supermarket firerworks, or a comment, this is the place to say it. B)

#191 Jon

Jon

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:02 AM

How about we limit topics to individual supermarkets?
I appreciate it must be tedious reading posts about supermarkets doing deals, but for the benefit of people like my self I find it very beneficial to see what my best options are. Many people will benefit from this forum this topic IMO. :rolleyes:

I live in the north east. Ive look around and there is very little choice. Although seasonal shops have started appearing such as DLD. They must have a big outsourcing drive on?

#192 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:11 AM

How about we limit topics to individual supermarkets?
I appreciate it must be tedious reading posts about supermarkets doing deals, but for the benefit of people like my self I find it very beneficial to see what my best options are. Many people will benefit from this forum this topic IMO. :rolleyes:

I live in the north east. Ive look around and there is very little choice. Although seasonal shops have started appearing such as DLD. They must have a big outsourcing drive on?

A Single topic for all the supermarkets is enough , I'd say. A basic forum or thread search will find the names of individual supermarkets.

Without meaning to be rude, don't forget that this is a forum mainly for enthusiasts- seperate topics "Tesco" "Asda" "Lidl" etc aren't really necessary, because frankly there isn't much to say, and it tends to be the same things said about them.

Edited by David, 30 October 2009 - 01:12 AM.

#193 Jon

Jon

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:16 AM

Fair point ;)

#194 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:34 AM

I think 1 topic is enough for supermarkets so it's all in one place.

Your right there doesn't seem to be much choice in the North East I don't think, might be petrol but your best heading to Epic or even across to Lancaster and Firework Factory.

Firework Factory have a seasonal outlet in Ripon I think aswell.

#195 Dan2310

Dan2310

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 10:24 AM

I went to Netto soon after their fireworks went on sale and they'd already sold out of these :-( Won't be going back either as it's too far for one cake. What's the £4.99 Lidl one like? I got one of those, too. Have you tried the other two Lidl cakes (Purple People Eater and Colour Explosion)? If so, are they any good?

Hi,

I went back the Netto yesterday to pick up some more and they had none left, but the assistant said that I could have the one on display :) just glad its not a dummy! :)

The lidl cake, its quite good, but it contains no bursts, just crackles and shots upwards from what I can remember, havnt tried any other cakes! (sorry for the late reply btw)

Oh, I also got the liberator barrage pack from B&M, £20 looks great for the money. Also got the £3.50 pack with 5 roman candle combination cakes :S, they seem decent for the price!

Just need to get some cheep sparklers now, Tesco seem to be the cheapest!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users