415 replies to this topic

#61 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:33 PM

Some of us get our kicks from the thump of a shell leaving the tube.

:D
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#62 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:04 PM

I have to say I can disagree with some over this BUT, I am happy to see some "entry level" fireworks on the market. Affordable cat2 stuff is what starts people on the road to smelling the smoke. Much of the supermarket BOGOF stuff is incredible value for money.

Some of us get our kicks from the thump of a shell leaving the tube. The general public will never fire shells, they enjoy the look of a firework when they have lit the fuse and retired to a safe distance.

Nice way of putting it as long as the descriptions are not too misleading - which seems to be a lot of the problem.

#63 cpfireworks

cpfireworks

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:46 AM

Nice way of putting it as long as the descriptions are not too misleading - which seems to be a lot of the problem.

oh I see.. the description should be ejects stars and doesnt bang..Posted Image

#64 Atom Fireworks

Atom Fireworks

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:38 AM

A few years ago i got a pack of shell head rockets from aldi, they exploded with rings and some just 1 colour but from what i can remember they were really cheap for the ammount u got, the make was WECO.

#65 jindivik

jindivik

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:07 AM

Looks to be a fairly decent range from Netto anyway, not going to bother with the rockets but their selection boxes at BOGOF look like pretty good deals

edit: nice to see they have only put RRP's on single items, and not their BOGOFsPosted Image

Edited by jindivik, 13 October 2009 - 07:09 AM.

#66 MarK G

MarK G

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:50 AM

Hi

Original poster here. I'm nout to do with Lidl, but as I was first to bring the news to the table. I have returned today to add Netto, but notice it already has been done.

I get sent the emails from Lidl, Netto and Aldi each week as they sometimes have some good deals on anything. Aldi did a good cheap cake last year. I added the information so comments could be added so if a user searched for the brand, or cake names it would appear. Don't know why I have to explain this, but I guess some users doesn't understand how forums work, and certainly what I shall be using the forum for reviews on Display Fireworks that I buy from an Independent All Year stockist.

@Daedalus re: last year range - Lidl definatly did do TNT, I've pulled up the previous years email (thanks gmail). However I now notice that 2009 is all new names (perhaps the same old boxes re-named?)

Purple Moon Selection Pack £4.99
Everything you need for a stunning display. 18 pieces. Price per pack. RRP £11.
Image: http://www.lidl.com/.../08_02107_s.gif

Hayleys Comet £9.99
Combination Roman Candle. 24 shots. Price per item. RRP £28.
Image: http://www.lidl.com/.../08_02671_s.gif

Cosmos £4.99
Combination Roman Candle. 32 shots. Price per item. RRP £13.
Image: http://www.lidl.com/.../08_02103_s.gif

Black Nebula Selection Pack £14.99
Everything you need for a stunning display. 26 pieces. Price per pack. RRP £36.
Image: http://www.lidl.com/.../08_02104_s.gif

Rainbow Storm £6.99
Combination Roman Candle. 90 shots. Price per item. RRP £20.
Image: http://www.lidl.com/.../08_02674_s.gif

Gold Medal Rockets £4.99
Pack of 4. Price per pack. RRP £12.
Image: http://www.lidl.com/.../08_02115_s.gif

Blue Apollo Rockets £9.99
Pack of 5. Price per pack. RRP £25.
Image: http://www.lidl.com/.../08_02105_s.gif

Image link added as apprently can't use the embeded Image feature on this forum.

#67 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:02 AM

Lidl did Benstar Fireworks last year (I still have some dead Cosmos cake cases from last year. Definitely Benstar. I can only assume that they had supply problems and bought a little TNT stock for certain areas if that's what you saw, because they have used Benstar for the last few years, which are the same as in the picture links posted for this year.

I always buy a couple of Cosmos cakes as I think they are good value for money, although the spec did change last year. Before they were asstd coloured bombettes and flying fish bombettes too. Last year they seemed a little different but can't recall quite how as my video camera refused to work. But for £4.99 it's not a bad little cake.

In fact a couple of these will probably be my only investement this year as I have enough bits from last year that I need to get rid of, or I will end up with an explosives cache.

Edited by Mortartube, 13 October 2009 - 09:07 AM.

Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#68 MarK G

MarK G

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:42 AM

List of Netto Fireworks for users searching for product names.

Sold from Thursday 15 October

Standard Fireworks (Most not from normal range, although some Rockets, Sparklers, & a Cake are)

http://viewer.zmags....12c#/4e40e12c/2

Selection Boxes
Bedazzled £3.99 (Claims 7.99 of RRP - not a BOGOF) (11 pieces - 8 fountains, 2 roman candles, 1 wheel)
Electrify £9.99 (BOGOF) (18 pieces - 11 fountains, 3 roman candles, 2 wheels)
Dark Angel £19.99 (BOGOF) (17 pieces - 8 fountains, 5 roman candles, 3 wheels, 1 mine)
Pot Of Gold £39.99 (BOGOF) (14 pieces - 9 fountains, 4 roman candles, 1 mine)

Cakes
Space Flight £2.49 (not a BOGOF) **Standard Normal Range RRP £8.99** 20 shot crackling and whistling shots exploding into red star bursts. 35 Secs.
Awakening £9.99 (BOGOF) Multicouloured stars and crackling chrysanthemums.
Fission £19.99 (BOGOF) 144 shot Fires frenzied whistling green and gold stars.
Spiral Nebula £39.99 (BOGOF) 81 shot Variety of effects including multicoloured glittering tails, stars and comets.

Rockets
Sky High (5 pack) £9.99 (BOGOF)
High Pressure (5 pack) £19.99 (BOGOF) **Standard Normal Range RRP £19.99** (880mm length, 42mm dia.)
High Fidelity (11 pack) £29.99 (BOGOF) **Standard Normal Range RRP £29.99** (860mm length, 38mm dia. and 740mm length, 35mm dia.)

Sparkers
Giant Sparklers (5 pack) 70p (BOGOF) **Standard Normal Range RRP £0.89** (250mm)

#69 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:50 AM

I always buy a couple of Cosmos cakes as I think they are good value for money, although the spec did change last year. Before they were asstd coloured bombettes and flying fish bombettes too. Last year they seemed a little different but can't recall quite how as my video camera refused to work.

Some all year rounders have them this year- Firework Crazy fired them at the demo night, and has footage uploaded.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#70 MarK G

MarK G

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:02 AM

For PyroPDC Posted Image and David Posted Image , just to show fairness, I have added to the Netto thread, with fuller details of their Standard range and included details from the current Standard catalogue to back up the pricing etc. Which do look better value than Lidl.

#71 jindivik

jindivik

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:15 AM

@Daedalus re: last year range - Lidl definatly did do TNT, I've pulled up the previous years email (thanks gmail). However I now notice that 2009 is all new names (perhaps the same old boxes re-named?)

Lidl sold Benstar, not TNT, Daedalus already said that? Posted Image

#72 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:18 AM

For PyroPDC Posted Image and David Posted Image , just to show fairness, I have added to the Netto thread, with fuller details of their Standard range and included details from the current Standard catalogue to back up the pricing etc. Which do look better value than Lidl.

If you don't mind me asking, where do you buy your own fireworks?

#73 MarK G

MarK G

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:26 AM

If you don't mind me asking, where do you buy your own fireworks?

In an Independent "All Year Round" Firework Shop in Morden, South London who stocked Black Cat, Cosmic, Astra, Devco, MenShun last year. They tend to pick the best of the best from each supplier. Yet I still also purchased from Aldi last year for some cheap starter / filler packs to allow a bigger budget for the big stuff.

Thanks David Posted Image for the private apology, although don't worry I wasn't offended, but wanted to highlight the point of detailing Lidl consumer fireworks which to be honest, although possibly not the best of fireworks are far more relevant being from a national outlet rather than the very local independent which are few are far between.

Edited by MarK G, 13 October 2009 - 12:38 PM.

#74 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:33 AM

oh I see.. the description should be ejects stars and doesnt bang..Posted Image

In the interests of people who enjoy loud fireworks and also those who prefer low noise I firmly believe descriptions should be accurate on consumer fireworks.
Clarity is important. Disapointment is not good and reflects badly on the stockist.

#75 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:36 AM

In the interests of people who enjoy loud fireworks and also those who prefer low noise I firmly believe descriptions should be accurate on consumer fireworks.
Clarity is important. Disapointment is not good and reflects badly on the stockist.

I agree, but current other than the very basic "ejects stars" "emits sparks" all descriptons on fireworks are optional.

A good shop should, of course, be able to advise what their products actually do.

Edited by David, 13 October 2009 - 11:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users