• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#16 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 30 March 2003 - 07:04 PM

Another method of giving a little flash as the star winks out that I've heardabout is to use the magnalium (Al/Mg alloy) and lead oxide (Pb3O4)mix used in crackling stars. Apparently this mix is normally made up with an organic solvent binder e.g. nitrocellulose in acetone and made into small microstars, which are then used as cores for the main stars. I presume the organic solvent binder reduces the likelyhood of any interactions between components of the star mix and the flash mix, obviously this technique could be extended to other formulations.

#17 brocade

brocade

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 10:10 PM

Okay rolled the brocade stars to 20mm on sunday 30.3.03 just got wait 2 weeks to let them dry out completley. Then its assemble some shells and shoot some tests and see what happens. Just out of curiosity what type of shells due you use and what breaking charge. I presently use plastic round shell cases with a H3 bursting charge this proving the most efficent charge for this type of shell ive also tried blowing them open with flash which gave very inconsistent results and a blinding flash which is not very desireable most of the time Ive also tried bursting them with bp but found this didn't have sufficent guts for this shell type it would appear to get good consistent results you need a powerfull burst but not uncontrollable ie flash powder

#18 robert johnson

robert johnson

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 08:54 AM

I spent a lot of time ,and I mean a lot of time making sure that the shells were working correctly,and by that I mean the roundness and size of the burst.and now they are perfect.Don't get me wrong their is nothing wrong with using Chinese shells but I am happy to say that these are now far superior to them.
I started off with the usual things such as home made glass fiber cases,but after wasting so much time I tried the plastic hemi's[cases] and although I was not abvle to get sucess straight away. I eventually got them to work . I tried flash bags but that was of no use, as was whistle mix, as I was unable to get very decent meal mix qat the time for the hulls.So eventually I came up with H3 on hulls with a little bit of flash powder,mixed in as a substitute for Whisle mix.and now they are superb.It is however veryimpotant to have very high consistency in the H3 burst and the only way I can do this is by creating my own Willow Charcoal which does not take that amount of effort. At the end of the day every one goes on about the quality on the other ingredients then pays little attention to the consistency of the charcoal, Which will change the overall effect of the finished powder.
But back to plastic shells as you know their is an art to making them work really well but once you can, you wander what all the fuss was about.
But one point to make is that these shells are opened using a H3 on hulls mix and the flash is just a little power booster,rather than a flash burst. I will have to e-mail you with some more specific details as the flash in each size of shell varys considerably.As you know the larger shells use less than you would expect if you were comparing them to smaller shells.

Cheers dears, Robert.

#19 brocade

brocade

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 April 2003 - 08:58 PM

Rob
I think the above says it all, I test fired 2 x 6" lampblack shells tonight wow what an effect just what I was after beautifull long lingering gold effect that after spreading a good distance in a perfectly round break the stars then drooped down for a fantastic finish.
Im going to have a go at an 8" shell next with these stars should I use my remaining stars as they are or size them a little larger

#20 robert johnson

robert johnson

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 April 2003 - 09:08 PM

Fantastic stuff.It's great to be able to help you out. The 6" shells I have made are better than any commercial pyro I have ever seen and bought. When do you think you will fire the 8"shell that really is the best of the best.

Another idea for you to try,is to use the above mix for a comet shell I use comets of 35mm x 45 mm and am able to get 32 of these in a shell ,very very time consuming to make but is absolutely excellant when it bursts open with the arms spreading out then drooping slightly towards the ground.To make them I have special sleeves, pumps and a pneumatic press.

How about crossette lampblack shells?

Well done Brocade,Your up their with Mr Shimizu!

#21 brocade

brocade

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 April 2003 - 09:23 PM

If I understand this right I can use the stars as they are in an 8" shell so in which case ill build one first thing tomorrow morning and it will be ready to test fire in the evening.

Ill definitley be making some comet sized stars with this mix for an 8" shell if these 6" shells that I fired tonight are anything to go by this will be the most awsome effect.

Shimizu you can call me RL.

#22 robert johnson

robert johnson

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 April 2003 - 09:41 PM

May be it was Dotty not RL, but I think RL is a very worthy. If you use the same size that is fine all you will need is a lot more of them. if you have a few blues [15 or so] add them as well as they complement the stars so well.

My pet hate is watching a well fired and set up show and the finale is a willow or brocade finish and they then go and blast colour through the whole lot what a waste.

I once had the pleasure of having a 12" Golden burst overhead my head [at the correct height!] and had an umbrella all around me, I mean that was a once in a life time experience.

#23 brocade

brocade

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 April 2003 - 09:54 PM

Yes I have to agree I think there is nothing worse than seeing a willow, brocade, kamuro finish and they spoil it by blasting lots of colour shells in with the charcoal effect stars and spoil a beautifull effect.

#24 robert johnson

robert johnson

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 April 2003 - 10:05 PM

As said before I can't agree more. I have been lucky I was taught by some one highly regarded andvery professional in the industry and was able to quickly learn that their are a lot of companys out their who take the money and give some pretty tasteless displays. I prefer to give the best displays that I am able to and come away with a bit of profit rather than alot,much more satisfiring

#25 brocade

brocade

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 10:47 PM

Put an 8" shell together this morning with the remaining lampblack stars, with the aim of test firing tonight but hell would you believe it weather perfect this morning then raining and blowing a gail this afternoon, So ill hold off firing this till the weather improves.

#26 robert johnson

robert johnson

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 08:24 PM

It's allways the same when you've worked hard to get sometning done . I believe the weather will improve later on this week.

What do you think you will build next?

#27 brocade

brocade

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 09:03 PM

Shot the 8" lampblack shell yesterday evening wow totaly awsome just the best 8" shell I ever seen. It shouldn't be to long now before the lampblack comet stars are fully dry then ill shoot some single shot comets with these and an 8" shell

#28 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 09:30 PM

Cool! Those stars sound excellent...

#29 bernie

bernie

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 07:21 PM

New guy. What seems to be the style shell that you UK pyros favor? I've always prefered the cylinder over the ball mainly because of the pasting process. More options w/inserts as well.
I am a member of the Florida Pyrotechnic Arts Guild and have enjoyed it very much for several years now. It's a top notch club. It's a nonprofit club that is insured and legal. A couple times a year we do good will events but primarily we just get together and have a really great time.
A couple years ago we even attempted to convince the good Reverend to come over as a guest speaker at our fall event.
It did'nt pan out so well...something about preperations for Guy Fawkes Day.
We we're able to bring over a fellow from Malta and he taught us a great deal about cylinder shells. That is if you understand the Italian language. What I was able to gather was that he lost his father in a fireworks accident and he was short a leg or two himself. Mentioned with all due respect.
Pyro has been pretty liberal around here.(USA)." Home land security" due to terrorist activity seems to be a factor in tightening the belt as of late.
On a more specific topic....Do you UK pyros make mines much? There seems to be as many ways to make them as there are pyros. What seems to be the accepted method of your group? I made a 8" spider mine and shot it at our spring get together here a few weeks ago but did'nt get a chance to witness it myself. I was busy running. It had 9 pounds of spider stars(cut) in the mine can. 1 ounce of lift per pound. That's why I was a runnin'. Folks said it was pretty. I really just wanted to get rid of a bunch of spider stars and did'nt want to reduce them to fertilizer. A garbage mine.
I've rambled on long enough. Hope to read some interesting UK versions of pyro and specifically on the construction of mines.

#30 brocade

brocade

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 09:58 PM

I have made both round and italian style canister shells using traditional methods, however these are very time consuming and i now perfer to use plastic round shells, with the correct high energy burst these will give perfectly round breaks every time. However I do still use canister shells for all types of inserts this type of shell being very usefull for carying these style of effects.

mines I have to admit I don't make these very often any more I generally use these to get rid of old stars I make my mines using the mine bag method. Over the years Ive tried a number of different methods of making mines including disk, piston and mine bag Both the disk and piston method being far more time consumeing and not really achieving better results than mine bag.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users