• 287 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 02:10 PM

I NEED POTASSIUM PERCHLORATE AND ALUMINIUM POWDER
PLEASE PUT ME OUT MY MISERY AND TELL ME WHERE YOU GET IT :(
thanks
p.s any admins whatching i used the search yay

View Post

Wow you really are an idiot!
Firstly you are new to pyro and you dont need potassium perchlorate that soon! Some members of this forum have been into pyro MANY years and never even used Potassium Perchlorate!
You start too many threads with pointless posts! We do not spoon feed you!

Ban IMO.
Broadsword Calling DannyBoy....

#47 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 02:48 PM

You sound pretty crazy to me. Don't try to sprint before you can crawl. All you need is KNO3, Charcoal, and Sulphur.

#48 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 02:49 PM

All you need is KNO3, Charcoal, and Sulphur.

View Post

That what i said to him through the PM

#49 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 10:42 PM

Very interesting thread before he started shouting....

Back on one of the original topics in the earlier part of the thread. I believe robert johnson supplied a nice lampblack formula for a brocade-willow type effect. I am looking for a similar effect, drooping, long-lasting dense tail, golden, with a slight silver glitter. That formula sounded like it was perfect but I dont have the facilities yet for chlorate work, nor the experience. Could Perc be substituted for the chlorate in that formula?

Edited by italteen3, 20 March 2005 - 10:49 PM.

#50 skipjack

skipjack

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 05:50 AM

I am looking for a similar effect, drooping, long-lasting dense tail, golden ...

so am i... and like italteen i rather would like to pass on using chlorate.
i tried the blonde streamer, Chrysanthemum 6 + 8 and the Tigertail, which worked nicely with bigger stars like 19mm diameter.

but does anyone know a KNO3-based golden brocade formula - drooping, long-lasting dense tail which also works for 10mm-sized stars? the glitter-effect is not a must for me. :)
thanks!

#51 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 08:57 AM

I've had good results with Heinz's willow, which is documented and videoed here It's based on a Shimizu charcoal firedust comp, with loads of C - Needs a heavy meal prime.

#52 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 06:32 PM

I've had good results with Heinz's willow, which is documented and videoed here It's based on a Shimizu charcoal firedust comp, with loads of C - Needs a heavy meal prime.

View Post

Yes, that formula was almost exactly what I was looking for! I have yet to find the 250-500 mesh that spherical Ti that he mentioned he used, but I will probably be substituting a smaller mesh for longer duration of a glitter tail and larger sized stars for more of a brocade type effect.

Question on that. Heinz says it needs to be made by a wet process, CIA method. A similar effect could be achieved without doing so correct? Heinz pumped those stars and used SGRS as a binder. If Im not mistaken SGRS is meant mainly for its superior qualities in rolled stars? Dont have any SGRS yet so dextrin should be fine as a substitute in pumped star right?

#53 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 10:25 PM

These are my notes on the Comp

Titanium Willow

KNO3     35g
S        12g
C        45g   [BBQ charcoal powder is OK]
Titanium 5g
Dextrin  5g

Mill all the ingredients except the Ti together for one hour. Add the Ti and mix well

credit to "Heinz" for this. Based on Shimizu's willow (charcoal fire dust stars)
Solvent = 33% meths, 67% Water
One cc / heaped teaspoon [8%] is sufficiant, but mix solvent in well!

I found my "Regimental standard" pumped stars were a little large [half inch cylinders, half an inch high]. A good dense effect was generated with a range of rolled star sizes, from 2-3mm microstars up to 6-8mm.

A whole buncha 4mm pumped stars in a 3-4 inch shell [primed well], should give the effect you are looking for.

Hope this helps...

#54 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 10:45 PM

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but hopefully this post(and all replies) should be of great help to any amateur.

Finally got back into the pyro loop after a busy first year of college, takes up all my pyro time! :angry: Anyway I got some great high quality tooling from Mr. Wolter that I have been using as of late. Mostly some star and cavity pumps of various sizes. Also got some more and new chems in. SGRS, FeTi, and some Magnalium in to name a few. Mostly I've been experimenting on a nice long-lasting silver star which I have been unable to achieve :). Though it would make a nice tail for shells once I advance to that. Also the brocade effect as well, which is why I posted in here.

Was looking at Heinz' formula and it is pretty much Shimizu's Willow formula with Ti added and Dextrin substituted for the SGRS. All my DLed vids of everyone's pyro was lost in my PC crash so I remember little from Heinz' video, would anyone care to share that vid if they still have it? Since I have SGRS would it be ok to use in a pumped 1/2"-1" star even though SGRS is recomend more for rolled stars? I have not tried rolled yet as I want to perfect pumped stars but Im curious to see if SGRS will help the problem Ive been having with stars containing charcoal becoming driven in and my 1" stars taking about a month to dry, non-forced. Would Shimizu's Willow formula with 5% FeTi 40-325 mesh and SGRS used in pumped stars work well?

Going to test 1/2" pumped stars four different ways, unless SGRS is not recomended over dextrin for pumped.
1-Shimizu's Willow bound with 4-5% dextrin
2-Shimizu's Willow bound with 8% SGRS
3-Shimizu's Willow bound with 4-5% dextrin and FeTi added
4-Shimizu's Willow bound with 8% SGRS and FeTi added

Will try to remember to take pics, video is definite some of which I need to edit and post up while the mill is running!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users