38 replies to this topic

#31 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:23 PM

Pyromesh is glorified chicken wire, right?

That's what the stuff I've seen looked like!

#32 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:34 PM

This is just another way for the government to put more control on fireworks and decrease the industry once again.

Nope- its a way for shopkeepers to store and transport fireworks, and for consumers to store fireworks as 1.4G which is less restrictive than 1.3G.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#33 Sambo

Sambo

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:50 PM

The packaging stuff I've seen is thick woven mesh with ~10mm holes, makes good star sizing screens ;)
Is this pyromesh? We had rockets and cakes delivered in it last year, each crate of rockets consisted of I think 6 individual boxes containing maybe 4 rockets each, these smaller boxes were individually meshed. It was as a pita to get off, cut your hands to bits and added a fair amount of weight overall. Looking at it, it would probably contain the explosion to some extent, it did seem rather heavy duty.

Anyway, back to topic. If you're lucky you may be able to find a supplier with one or two left over 3" ball heads, they were nice big rockets.
Currently firing for Pendragon Fireworks

#34 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:25 PM

Looking at it, it would probably contain the explosion to some extent, it did seem rather heavy duty.

It's not intended to contain an explosion. It reduces the 'fiery projection hazard' and thus changes the shipping hazard to a lower level.

Yes, it is a pain in the arse, but not as much as the government that made it necessary!

Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#35 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:13 PM

It was as a pita to get off, cut your hands to bits and added a fair amount of weight overall.

That is a good point, and relevant to the topic.

It may have changed recently (things are always changing) but some of the pyromeshed items were time consuming and somewhat frustrating to "un-mesh".

Not impossible to do, of course (these are, after all, consumer items) but worth bearing in mind.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#36 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:08 PM

It took me a while to get the mesh of our King Cobras on Bonfire Night last year, left them in the box untill the night, wish I hadn't but it was easy to get off once I figured out how it was fixed together.

Posted Image

Edited by Prestonboi, 13 January 2010 - 05:09 PM.

#37 Sambo

Sambo

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:19 PM

The "free gloves included" made me laugh, you need them! We used tin snips which made light work of the strapping loops and joining wires, unfortunately not a common tool in most households. A pair of pliers would do but you would be there a while.
I forgot to mention, there was a heavy glass fibre weave in the boxes as well, don't have a clue what it was for. Maybe another containment method? Or a makeshift fire blanket?

Edited by Sambo, 13 January 2010 - 07:20 PM.

Currently firing for Pendragon Fireworks

#38 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:33 PM

looks heavy duty, i wonder how much the added cost is for it per pack?

#39 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:44 AM

a good % :)

alas it's the only viable alternative for sending large rockets by couriers :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users