• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:43 PM

Pyro is an expensive hobby. You may also pay with your life!

Maxman

#17 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:10 PM

Knowledge is not free, it has to be worked for (by research), or paid for by purchasing learned texts.

How much is your face worth? Your hands or eyesight....?
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#18 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:30 PM

Why do everyone always just tell everyone to read books (no disrespect to anyone), but seriously iv never read one of the expensive pyro books but instead read though this forum and learnt from other members. theres so much info here its just a case of searching and asking about anything i don't understand.

personal i would start with bp then once this is perfected move to charcoal based stars as they ignite easy without priming.

#19 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:29 PM

It really is better to learn from the mistakes and misfortunes of others.

#20 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:45 PM

the forum as grown to massive proportions, and to search you have to read ,well a lot of chatting
books, the facts, figures are there in front of you in a handy" read a bit whilst havin a brew" format.
i suspected cost would be a major factor, so heres lots of links, read them come back in a few weeks enlightened!
skylighter news letter
the greenman
creagan firework pages
pyro guide
jackery pyro

#21 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:00 PM

the forum as grown to massive proportions, and to search you have to read ,well a lot of chatting
books, the facts, figures are there in front of you in a handy" read a bit whilst havin a brew" format.
i suspected cost would be a major factor, so heres lots of links, read them come back in a few weeks enlightened!
skylighter news letter
the greenman
creagan firework pages
pyro guide
jackery pyro

yes i do agree its not easy to find but them links you have supplied i would also recommend to anyone (great list chris m)

its a pity we cant have a tutorial part on this forum from all the more advanced forum members (obviously with a disclaimer)

Edited by PyroPDC, 06 July 2010 - 11:04 PM.

#22 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:30 PM

Why do everyone always just tell everyone to read books (no disrespect to anyone), but seriously iv never read one of the expensive pyro books but instead read though this forum and learnt from other members. theres so much info here its just a case of searching and asking about anything i don't understand.

personal i would start with bp then once this is perfected move to charcoal based stars as they ignite easy without priming.

Yes there is plenty of information here and in other forums. Passfire is probably the best resource and at only $20 it is well worth the money. They have plenty of tutorials and safety briefings.

However, when I started I looked through the forums. It took ages to get the base level of knowledge up. If had bought a couple of books it would have taken far far less time. I now have the usual suspects on the shelf and they are a great source of reference (they look good too). I also have a number of papers by well renowned authors and factory owners. These are a superb form of reference which cover all sorts of experimental stuff that just does not come up on the forums.
Phew that was close.

#23 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:37 AM

The one thing that books have that a forum does not is a level of assurance of safety and accuracy. If I read something in a book, I am reasonably assured that it will work, and work safely. Any yahoo can join a forum and start giving advice. You learn who knows what they're talking about, and who to trust, but everyone gives bad or inconsistent advice from time to time. Books always give the same advice :)

#24 martyn

martyn

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:47 AM

Yes there is plenty of information here and in other forums. Passfire is probably the best resource and at only $20 it is well worth the money. They have plenty of tutorials and safety briefings.

However, when I started I looked through the forums. It took ages to get the base level of knowledge up. If had bought a couple of books it would have taken far far less time. I now have the usual suspects on the shelf and they are a great source of reference (they look good too). I also have a number of papers by well renowned authors and factory owners. These are a superb form of reference which cover all sorts of experimental stuff that just does not come up on the forums.

Agree absolutely - passfire subs however are 50 dollars first time, 25 on renewal, still great value though, makes me want to emigrate!!
Apparently there are also a few torrents about if you are that way inclined, even the the turbo pyro e-book will get the juices flowing for a beginner.

#25 martyn

martyn

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:49 AM

Agree absolutely - passfire subs however are 50 dollars first time, 25 on renewal, still great value though, makes me want to emigrate!!
Apparently there are also a few torrents about if you are that way inclined, even the the turbo pyro e-book will get the juices flowing for a beginner.

#26 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:54 AM

Blinkin eck. That has gone up. It was $20 when I joined
Phew that was close.

#27 sharplight

sharplight

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:29 PM

cheers people, i think i'll go for some torrents :E

#28 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:36 AM

You guys do realize that torrents and the like are the reason no one is putting out new pyrotechnic literature, right? Kyle has worked hard on his site, and deserves his due. The membership is hardly yearly, it lasts for quite a while. I think I renewed once, and still have 5 or 6 years on my account as it is going. The forum itself is more than worth the admission price.

I think Arthur Brown said it very elequently once. Knowledge isn't free. You must pay for it through research or funds.

#29 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:33 AM

You guys do realize that torrents and the like are the reason no one is putting out new pyrotechnic literature, right? Kyle has worked hard on his site, and deserves his due. The membership is hardly yearly, it lasts for quite a while. I think I renewed once, and still have 5 or 6 years on my account as it is going. The forum itself is more than worth the admission price.

I think Arthur Brown said it very elequently once. Knowledge isn't free. You must pay for it through research or funds.

I completely agree. I have a bookshelf full of books, nothing beets having the real deal sat there. Although you do occasionally get disappointed when one turns up less well presented than I expected.

It is good to be able to have a thumb through a book before you buy it. You would if you went to a bookshop. So I guess as long as the torrents are used for a quick thumb through it is not so bad, but I guess those who use them tend to think that everything should be free. I don't use them myself however.
Phew that was close.

#30 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:34 AM

http://www.pyrodirec...show/Books.html

Interesting supplier of books (and lots more!) The company is happy to send books to the UK. There are occasional sensibly priced books on ebay -I've had a couple from the USA that way. The problem in the UK is that there isn't a retail supplier of pyro books (or I haven't found them!).

Torrents are a way of depriving the author and publisher of their money and the motivation to continue publishing which in this niche interest area is likely to be permanent. However several books are no longer available by any other means.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users