• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 martyn

martyn

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:18 PM

Some may be interested in this discussion going on over at ukfr.
I know it's a bit 'them and us' and a lot of them look down on a lot of us, or at least they used to, perhaps less so now that many on here also have a presence there.
I've had my say but I'm keeping out of it from now on, I'm happy with my interpretation, having taken advice.

#2 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:05 PM

its a very interesting discussion indeed, ive learned a thing or two regarding fusing shop bought items, but man dont they go on and on phew! :P

Edited by dr thrust, 02 December 2010 - 07:06 PM.

#3 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:00 PM

right im hiding back here now, more safer lol, if anything its opened a few peoples eyes, who knows might even start seeing cat 3 wholesalers giving it a thought to sell fuse, which may bet better for us :P

Edited by PyroPDC, 02 December 2010 - 08:02 PM.

#4 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:29 PM

omg, you could loose the will to live! No wonder I don't venture over there very much...

Anyway, well done guys, I think you finally convinced them that you can't magically turn cat 3 into cat 4. Some may even try fusing - excellent work.
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#5 exat808

exat808

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:06 PM

omg, you could loose the will to live! No wonder I don't venture over there very much...

Anyway, well done guys, I think you finally convinced them that you can't magically turn cat 3 into cat 4. Some may even try fusing - excellent work.

Would love to have a proper debate regarding the whole issue of fusing/manufacture/classification etc. But not online! What about organising a one day seminar for all interested parties?
I'm fairly sure we could arrange for some influential speakers.

#6 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:33 PM

I think this is an excellent idea. Perhaps UKPS can arrange a one-day workshop in 2011. I will raise in the next conference call.

#7 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:25 PM

Sounds good!

I am amazed at the lack of reasoning over there on the UKFR.
Phew that was close.

#8 Peret

Peret

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:10 AM

What a strange place. They appear to be a bunch of fuse-lighters. I'll say one thing for them - they have an encyclopedic knowledge about what can't be done! It would be wicked fun to start a rumour that the government wants to outlaw matches because of the chlorate. In no time at all they'd have a 12 page thread about the safest way to dispose of existing stocks.

#9 martyn

martyn

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:05 AM

What a strange place. They appear to be a bunch of fuse-lighters. I'll say one thing for them - they have an encyclopedic knowledge about what can't be done! It would be wicked fun to start a rumour that the government wants to outlaw matches because of the chlorate. In no time at all they'd have a 12 page thread about the safest way to dispose of existing stocks.

Let's not get too nasty, a little gentle ribbing is fun, but lets keep it friendly.
I've met know and like lots of people over there.
There are some plonkers true, but there are here as well.
The bottom line is we all love fireworks, and just because they write something doesn't mean we have to agree with it.
Many of the respected industry (display) profesionals hang out there.
:) :)

#10 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:35 AM

A strange place indeed - reading that thread has reminded me why I never signed up :)

#11 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:45 AM

If Exat can arrange some good speakers - and I'm sure he can, I think a seminar would be an excellent idea. We should also open it to UKFR & any other interested parties.

All joking and ribbing aside we all love fireworks and want pretty much the same thing & we should be combining forces not squabbling - though I'm as guilty as any of occassionally taking the p**s!

Next management meeting is next week & this item will be on the agenda.
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#12 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:11 PM

I think it would be useful to remember that the UKFR forum has been around for over ten years and for ALL of that time it's not allowed discussion of fusing as it was assumed/believed it was classed as modification and therefore a big no no.

UKPS is coming at fusing/modification/manufacture etc from a totally different mindset and as such you guys will look for/see reasons to allow something whereas the UKFR members will look for reasons to backup what they have always been told, perhaps a little cautiously :)

I'm sure to a man they would welcome the opportunity to undertake a little fusing, but it may just take a little time to change a long standing belief :)

Cheers

Stu

#13 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:25 PM

My biggest worry about the fusing issue is that some people will always be competent regardless of which forum they subscribe to (or NOT) and some people will never become competent regardless of training or experience.

There are many people who read the instructions and do almost that, do it safely and enjoy their fireworks. Some of these people will never want need or be able to safely modify a firework even the legal modifications.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#14 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:24 PM

it's prob just me.....But come on , there been addvised from peeps in the know...Easy, simple as!!!No dis-respect........Only went through 3 pages!!!!!
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#15 Peret

Peret

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:49 PM

Let's not get too nasty, a little gentle ribbing is fun, but lets keep it friendly.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as spiteful. :( But it's like going to a site that bills itself as "THE COUNTRY'S BIGGEST AND BEST COMPUTER WEBSITE!" and finding all the conversation revolves either around how to use Microsoft Word, or how careful they are not to infringe anyone's copyright.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users