• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 Candle

Candle

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:02 PM

I know we all like to vent our spleens every once in a while and on many ocassions I have been very vocal about the injustice metered out to those of us 'on the fringes' with marginal interests.Then I realised we live in an un perfect world where fairness and common sense sometimes need to take a back seat to the more 'popular' interpretations.
So much easier to constrain these well meaning and deluded but potentially dangerous characters who would fill our world with the stench of pyro heaven whilst having fun!!!!
Who could even concieve any form of restriction on the sale of motor vehicles so powerful they would give a shell a run for its money on 0-100mph; especially in light of the folks often in control of such machines, folks who in the past couple of years have, allegedly, not been terribly 'risk adverse' in their actions especially with our piggy banks (unusual conotations there)!
We all recognise the legalised lethality that exhists in every waking day but these are risks we all aknowledge and accept as vital to the modern world we all consume with such vigour, a hobby shop roll of quick match doesn't stand a chance!

I like this comment because how many people die because of RTA's my old man used to be a highways maintainence RTA clean up man n the scenes hes told me about are truly horrific. How many people are killed each year to FUSE? Ide bet none, maybe a couple to fireworks and thats at a push.

When you sell a vehicle have you asked to see both parts of their driving licence? I bet not so therefore you could be selling that vehicle to anybody.

Not jumpin on the band wagon at anybody here but it does seem far to many peoply think along the lines of " guilty until proven innocent" Instead of " Innocent until proven guilty" Thats just my 2 pennies worth anyways. :rolleyes:

#32 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:27 AM

I think a reel of quick match is much safer than a 70 shot cake being bought by an 18 year old idiot putting it upside down or in a residential area where it will cause much more carnage. Everything is dangerous but if we stopped doing stuff because of it we may as well slit our throats now.... shit thats dangerous to as I cant pick up a knife owell best starve to death, wait isn that dangerous to my health? darn it im stuck! This world is pathetic in its health and safety taking it to the extreme but does anyone follow it? I dont see any reason why fuse cannot be sold to the public or even to known ukps or ukfr members at least!
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#33 Peret

Peret

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:25 AM

Just out of interest, I googled "firework death uk". Google could find only one - Mary Fox - though that incident got ten pages of results. Maybe there were others that have dropped out of public consciousness, but I guess they rank of lesser importance than the puppy that was scared by a firework in 2007 and ran in front of a car. I was specifically looking for the incident in 1997 that was supposedly the reason for banning shells. Can anyone offer a link?

I did come across an encouraging column from the Sunday Times along the way.

#34 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:38 PM

i can beat that, today i heard on the local radio, shops where thinking of only supplying christmas crackers to the over sixteen's as they may be classed as fireworks!, how many cristmas cracker deaths can you find on google? :)

#35 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:58 PM

A few years ago a friend of mine was ordered to dismantle a box of expensive Christmas crackers she bought as a present and snap them one by one in the departure lounge before returning to her family in Germany. Such a waste.

i can beat that, today i heard on the local radio, shops where thinking of only supplying christmas crackers to the over sixteen's as they may be classed as fireworks!, how many cristmas cracker deaths can you find on google? :)

Not only that, it's a possible 6 months inside or a £5000 fine for you and your employer:

http://www.dailymail...ths-prison.html

Crazy..

Edited by BrightStar, 08 December 2010 - 07:34 PM.

#36 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:29 PM

maybe its for the best some of the jokes are shocking, anybody remember those thin plastic "fortune telling fish" gifts that curled up in your hand?

#37 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:27 AM

OK - Details to be worked out, but at our meeting yesterday we agreed:

We will have a legislation/fusing session at our 2011 AGM

We will ask Exat if he can arrange a speaker for us

We will issue an open invitation to UKFR members.

More to follow...
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#38 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:04 PM

OK - Details to be worked out, but at our meeting yesterday we agreed:

We will have a legislation/fusing session at our 2011 AGM

We will ask Exat if he can arrange a speaker for us

We will issue an open invitation to UKFR members.

More to follow...

Sounds good Phil,
any idea on the date yet?I would like to get it on the calender before the date gets hijacked! :D

#39 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:15 PM

Sounds good Phil,
any idea on the date yet?I would like to get it on the calender before the date gets hijacked! :D

Pencil in 9th April at Esholt in Yorkshire. This is at an advanced stage, but not yet finalised...
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#40 whoof

whoof

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:31 PM

Just out of interest, I googled "firework death uk". Google could find only one - Mary Fox - though that incident got ten pages of results. Maybe there were others that have dropped out of public consciousness, but I guess they rank of lesser importance than the puppy that was scared by a firework in 2007 and ran in front of a car. I was specifically looking for the incident in 1997 that was supposedly the reason for banning shells. Can anyone offer a link?

I did come across an encouraging column from the Sunday Times along the way.

I assume it was this one Nov 1996

http://www.google.co...vCXWcEehiyGw8qA

Edited by snert, 10 December 2010 - 05:26 PM.

#41 Peret

Peret

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:42 PM

I assume it was this one Nov 1996

Thanks - that would be it. I had been told that the fatalities were caused by "hooligans", but since they both shot themselves at their own events, that must have been the Daily Mail effect at work. Oh wait a minute- the report is from the Daily Mail! It must be the Vegetarian Dog Lover's effect then.

4 and 8 pounds, eh? By my calculations, these must have been 4 inch and 5 inch display shells. And for this, the UK government banned all shells, including the tiny ones? That seems unreasonable.

#42 martyn

martyn

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:17 AM

By my calculations, these must have been 4 inch and 5 inch display shells.

we must use different calculators :)

#43 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:06 PM

As I understand the David Hattersley incident, the person who was going to fire was unable to get there on time & Mr Hattersley stepped in, possibly due to pressure from the crowd to start the display. He had some understanding of fireworks, but was not a regular firer. I got this from someone who had direct knowledge of the incident.

All loss of life is utterly tragic, but if we ban the 'tools' every time a mistake is made, we would have little left...

Edited by phildunford, 11 December 2010 - 12:14 PM.

Posted Imagethegreenman

#44 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 02:42 PM

I cant believe they are now saying christmas crackers are dangerous and you need to be 16 to buy them, how pathetic! What is this country coming to?
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#45 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:11 PM

It wouldn't supprise me if they supplied them with safety goggles. This bloody country!!! Just ban everything.... If anyone can think of something that will not cause harm, I'll give them 5 quid....Wait that could cause harm.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users