#1 BurlHorse

BurlHorse

Burlhorse

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 03:45 AM

Hello All,

Just wondering what chemicals you have within your stash so I can start posting My formulas for you to try, lord knows I have spent many minutes, hours, days, years developing them, but it would be pointless to post them is you don't have what it takes to make them.

Most of mine Utilize, Ammonium Perchlorate, potassium Nitrate,Potasium Perchlorate, Potassium Chlorate ( Be Careful) Strontium Nitrate, Barium Nitrate/chlorate(Be Careful) for oxidizers

Red Gum, Vinsol Resin, Potassium Benzoate, Sodium Bezoate, Copper Bensoate, Lactose, sorbitol, etc for fuels,

So what do ya have to work with, answer that question and I will post formulas that you have the supplies for.

Regards, Stay green

Bear
There are old pyros, and there are bold pyros, but there are not very many old, bold pyros....

Check Out My E-Bay Auctions !!

#2 dfk

dfk

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 06:13 AM

Hey Burl Horse,

Are you saying these formulas your talking about are all ones you developed?
sounds cool. I would like to be able to expirement but lack of quantity of chems and work area stops that. I get hurt when a 100 gram batch of star mix fails.

Are these just star formulas or whatcha working with?

Well to start, how about some comps using amonium perchlorate(I only know of a few blues).
If you could also show what you have for strontium nitrate, potasium nitrate, and potassium benzoate, wich for all I know is good for whistles, that would be cool.

Not mentioned by you but its worth a try, do you know of any good comps using antimony trisulfide?

Thanks for the offer, Im interested to hear what your working with.

Marcus
Marcus; 'In the practice of manipulating fire for 4 years'

#3 Yugen-biki

Yugen-biki

Pyro is forever

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 09:01 AM

Do you have eny yellow star comp. not using Sodiumoxalate? Shimizu writes about SodiumChloride beeing used but I can?t find eny good recepies.

The chemicals is not the problem for me. :) But the money are. :(

/John

Edited by Yugen-biki, 21 January 2004 - 09:01 AM.

#4 lord_dranack

lord_dranack

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 12:22 PM

that's a great offer! I don't have any access to perchlorates, magalium or pyrotechnic aluminium. I've got a load of sodium benzoate I don't know what to do with so any ideas would be most helpful!

Thomas

#5 Jerronimo

Jerronimo

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 06:44 PM

If you have some kclo4 or kclo3(not recommended)you can make wistlemix with potassiumbenzoate 70/30 great for bursting small shells.

Edited by Jerronimo, 21 January 2004 - 06:44 PM.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

#6 lord_dranack

lord_dranack

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 07:08 PM

I wouldn't be able to make whistles with it as I don't have a press and even if I did I don't fancy pressing a chlorate based whistle mix!
I hadn't thought about using it for shell bursts...

#7 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 09:50 PM

Jerronimo said,

If you have some kclo4 or kclo3(not recommended)you can make wistlemix

I ask only out of curiosity, as I currently have no benzoates/salicylates, and probably won't get any for a while (There are other chemicals that I hold in higher priority on my budget) but will nitrates actually produce a whistle? I assume it wouldn't be as loud as a ClO4/ClO3 whistle, and nozzle-less endburning rockets made with it wouldn't fly, but would a nitrate whistle whistle?

I have seen passing references to nitrate being used, but have never seen a formula calling for it or someone explicitly saying it can be used. However, as I understand it, the whistle is as a result of micro explosions in the fuel crystals, rather than a function of the oxidiser. I'm sure if anyone has a working nitrate formula many members would feel far happier about pressing it than the chlorate formula they'd have to use otherwise.

#8 Matt

Matt

Another Aussie Trying To take Over

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 01:58 AM

Oh I think youd rather press flash than the nitrate whistle.... This has all been discused on the forum, search and youll know what I mean.

-Matt
Try to run! try to hide! Break on through to the other side!! YYYEEEAAAAOOHHHHHHHHAAAAHHHHHHHH

#9 Yugen-biki

Yugen-biki

Pyro is forever

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 01:37 PM

Matt
Searching for "nitrate whistle" or "whistle" doesn?t show eny results, but this one. :unsure:

#10 Matt

Matt

Another Aussie Trying To take Over

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 02:14 PM

I guess your not a BPS member then.
There is a potassium nitrate/ potassium picrate whistle. This mix is rather dangerous and explosive.

There is a potassium nitrate/ potassium dinotrophenate mix floating around, never heard of dinotrophenate, cant find ANY suppliers. Not sure if anyone has even made it :P

-Matt
Try to run! try to hide! Break on through to the other side!! YYYEEEAAAAOOHHHHHHHHAAAAHHHHHHHH

#11 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 03:16 PM

Gentlemen - please stick to the topic of this forum.

#12 Steve

Steve

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 04:49 PM

What i would like more than anything would be a organic fueled (not magnesium or magnallium) green star that uses Barium Nitrate, I have pot perc, parlon, saran, pvc, red gum, and the common chems.

Steve
Inoxia Pyrotechnics - The UK online store for chemicals and other pyrotechnics supplies

#13 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

Light Up The Sky - KF Pyro Crew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 08:06 PM

Steve,

Have been looking through all my books etc to see if I could find a formula for you but have not had much success.
If you want to use Barium Chlorate with your Barium Nitrate then you will be able to achieve a nice green but using the Barium Nitrate without the Chlorate or withought using magnesium or magnalium you will tend to get a washed out or pale green colour.
Then again I dont get a great deal of time to experiment.

Mark

PS: Am going to give DFK's response below a bash

Edited by The_Djinn, 22 January 2004 - 08:14 PM.

KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#14 dfk

dfk

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 08:06 PM

What i would like more than anything would be a organic fueled (not magnesium or magnallium) green star that uses Barium Nitrate, I have pot perc, parlon, saran, pvc, red gum, and the common chems

Try this steve

"RADIANT GREEN"

Potassium perchlorate 15
Barium nitrate 65
Indian blackhead AL 10
Parlon 16
Boric acid 2
Charcoal(AF) 2
Red Gum 5
Dextrin 5
not sure of origional source but this
is from skylighter
Marcus; 'In the practice of manipulating fire for 4 years'

#15 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

Light Up The Sky - KF Pyro Crew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 08:37 PM

Steve, found another Green for you by Shimizu..

Potassium Perchlorate 48%
Red Gum 14%
Barium Nitrate 28%
Parlon 5%
Dextrin 5%

Bind with 25% alc

Mark

Edited by The_Djinn, 23 January 2004 - 08:40 PM.

KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users