35 replies to this topic

#16 BurlHorse

BurlHorse

Burlhorse

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 07:10 AM

Hey guys, sorry for the post and run, anyway, I've been out in the shed tonight working on a pure nitrate green, , and though the one fellow said he did not have any Metals, unfortunatly I had to resort to some Magnisium for a kick to the comp, but I'm satisfied with the result, at least as far as just burning properties and the green is a definite dark Jade, actually pretty not too washed out for a nitrate green, so here goes....

Barium Nitrate----63
Red Gum -----------4
Parlon---------------4----------------------\
Magnesium--------18---180-325 mesh---/ I am going to Play with these ratios...
Barium Carbonate-4
Dextrin------------+4

Yes I realize the +4 Dextrin takes the formula to 100 +4 which I try to avoid as the dextrin does add to the comp chemically, as a fuel, ( Even so, I think this formula is a bit over oxidizer rich) anyway, that's what I came up with after a couple hours work, I will keep tweaking it and try to satisfy the needs of the gent who said he did not have the metals, which is what I was setting out to do, however, without the heat of the Mag, and no chlorate (Barium), I think the stars would have blown alot blind because it just was not hot enough. I went ahead and rolled a pound of stars, (The comp rolled up well to a little over 3/8ths" using # 8 steel shot for cores and 33/66 (Alcohol/Disilled water)), to see how they'll look in the air. Obviously they can't be tested for a few days, I'll keep you posted and I plan to really go after this as I know it's possible, I have seen a deep Nitrate green, so I know it can be done, but the chemistry starts to bore me and my grey matter after a long day so sorry I could not get this one right off the bat.

There is reference to a brilliant green in one of my books, but the formula references a "Phenolic material" that serves two puposes, "The vapor would serve to inhibit any moisture attacking the Magnesium, as well as consuming any free chlorine from the Parlon". There is no specific mention of what this material might be comprised of, Ground bakelight perhaps, I dunno, however it does warrant investigation and I do have a few old phenolic/bakelight switch fixtures, so I'll be back after the above mentioned formula with these switch housings ground up just to see. We, the amatures of this hobbie are the innovators and as such, we owe it to the betterment of the industry to re-examine some of the old texts and re-invent the wheel so to speak with the safer materials available to us..........Stepping off of soapbox now...haha,

Cheers, Stay Green,

Bear
There are old pyros, and there are bold pyros, but there are not very many old, bold pyros....

Check Out My E-Bay Auctions !!

#17 dfk

dfk

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 07:41 AM

So..what else you got?
Marcus; 'In the practice of manipulating fire for 4 years'

#18 Charged

Charged

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 07:15 PM

I have one question :how to you measure % on a scale.This is a volume measurement and different chemicals weigh different amounts and youll get wrong formula if you measure thing in volume .

[QUOTE]Barium Nitrate----63
Red Gum -----------4
Parlon---------------4----------------------\
Magnesium--------18---180-325 mesh---/ I am going to Play with these ratios...
Barium Carbonate-4
Dextrin------------+4
These measurments are in grams i asume.I want to get things strait.And how powdered these chemicals are?

Edited by Richard H, 27 March 2004 - 07:57 PM.

#19 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 07:23 PM

Formulae are given in parts by weight and not by volume. e.g a composition weighing 100 grams might contain 20% (20 grams) of X.

#20 Charged

Charged

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 07:27 PM

Ok thanks!

#21 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 07:28 PM

OK, this has been discussed before (and it really does'nt need discussing again).

In pyro you ALWAYS measure by weight unless explicitly told to do otherwise. It is very rare to measure by volume.

If a composition states:

KNO3 50
MgAl 30
S 10
C 5
Dextrin 5

This means you can, for one small batch, use 50g of KNO3, 30 of MgAl and so on. This will make 100g. If you want to make a 500g batch then you just use 5 times as much of everything - ie KNO3 50 x 5 = 250g etc etc.

Formlae can also be presented by parts, ie:

Ba(No3)2 4
Al 2
Ti 1
Red Gum 1

This may or may not always add up to 10 parts, but it will still work. Again, if you want to make 5 times as much in total, then just use 5x the parts.

Conversely, with both methods, if you want to make only 1/2 as much then only use 1/2 the parts.

If the forumula is in % and the total of the parts adds up to, say, 97% then you know there has been an error. Sometimes forumla add up to more than 100%, ie 104 in Burl's case. This is usually acceptable however as Burl has explained.
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#22 Charged

Charged

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 11:55 AM

What is Red Gum??
It is many formulars i want to know what it exactly is.

#23 Rhodri

Rhodri

One of the gang!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 02:56 PM

Red gum is a type of sap from trees. Similar to amber. I'm sure other members will be able to add to this.....
Making light, sound and good conversation.

#24 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 03:00 PM

Good question really...

There's a good couple of pages on it in Lancaster.

Apparantly what is sold as Red Gum can be several different things.

It comes from trees in Australia and extraction involves destruction of the trees - so not very eco-friendly...

The stuff you get is often full of small bits of twig, which seems to support this.

In fireworks it's both a fuel and a binder. It has a quite low MP and although this is unscientific, compositions containing it seem to take fire very easyly.

If you want to know more details I could look up Lancaster for you.
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#25 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 09:07 PM

AKA Acacia Gum as far as I know. The world of gums can be very confusing.

#26 dfk

dfk

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 05:04 AM

That it is.

Gum Acacia is what is also known as Gum Arabic,
Red gum is Accaroides Resin
Marcus; 'In the practice of manipulating fire for 4 years'

#27 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 07:50 PM

See... confusing! :)

Shellac. Shee-lac. Different things also as far as I know...

#28 Charged

Charged

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 02:19 PM

Yes pretty confusing.Thanks for explanation.It is an interesting thing.

#29 spawned

spawned

Firework Maker

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 03:36 PM

The only chemicals i can reach are emmm potassium sulphate , ammonium sulphate (20% pure not enough for even an endothermic reaction) PLENTY of sulphur and as much NC lacquer as you can take. Not so good ehh i mean kno3 isnt not on the list because it is so common it is not on the list because of my emmm difficulties.
HHHHEEEEEEEEERRRRRRREEEES JOHNNY!!

#30 Rhodri

Rhodri

One of the gang!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:27 PM

Endothermic reaction eh? Please tell me more. Pyro generates heat so I could do with some further explanation on where you are coming from?

:unsure:
Making light, sound and good conversation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users