Photo

The best blue formula you will ever have used!

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:49 AM

I don't store things for a long time, and I use protection against the toxic stuff, but potassium chlorate and hexamine might be as dangerous as potassium chlorate and ammonium perchlorate.

That one looks interesting, though. Wish one had time to test them all.
"This salt, formerly called hyperoxymuriate of potassa, is
used for sundry preparations, and especially for experimental
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#17 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:14 PM

potassium chlorate and hexamine might be as dangerous as potassium chlorate and ammonium perchlorate.

I don't recall hearing about that one. Is it chlorates in general or just Potassium? I don't currently use chlorates but am planning on doing a few tests with Barium Chlorate, would be useful to know what to avoid mixing it with.

#18 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:48 PM

I don't recall hearing about that one. Is it chlorates in general or just Potassium? I don't currently use chlorates but am planning on doing a few tests with Barium Chlorate, would be useful to know what to avoid mixing it with.

Hexamine is made of formaldehyde and ammonia. And ammonia and potassium chlorate is a big no-no, since it might form ammonium chlorate.

Barium chlorate is probably a bit more stable, but I wouldn't trust any chlorate together with ammonia or any ammonium compound.
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#19 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:19 PM

From Shimizu, page 104 of FAST

"It has been said that compositions which contain Barium chlorate are more sensitive than compositions which contain Potassium chlorate and sometimes cause spontaneous ignition in the sun".

I've heard similar things from other sources. Indeed, I believe Barium chlorate is the most sensitive oxidiser used in fireworks, though Potassium chlorate and Ammonium perchlorate are not too far behind.
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#20 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:45 PM

From Shimizu, page 104 of FAST

"It has been said that compositions which contain Barium chlorate are more sensitive than compositions which contain Potassium chlorate and sometimes cause spontaneous ignition in the sun".

I've heard similar things from other sources. Indeed, I believe Barium chlorate is the most sensitive oxidiser used in fireworks, though Potassium chlorate and Ammonium perchlorate are not too far behind.

I think this might be wrong, even if it is a statement from Shimizu. Barium chlorate releases more energy once ignited, but it also takes more energy to activate it.

Though no matter what, all chlorates should be treated very carefully.
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#21 Maxim

Maxim

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:09 AM

Thinking about valency, why would barium chlorate be more unstable? Barium forms ions with 2+ charge while potassium forms just +1?

#22 Peret

Peret

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:50 AM

According to Shimizu, page 89, chlorates are slowly decomposed by ultraviolet light to chlorites and chlorides. "Potassium chlorite, KClO2, ignites or explodes in contact with sulphur or a sulphide and potassium chloride, KCl, as described above. Therefore the chlorite probably promotes the decomposition of KClO3 when it is heated. Of course, the amount of potassium chlorite or chloride may be too small to cause a spontaneous explosion, but ultraviolet light does not improve the quality of potassium chlorate."

#23 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:36 AM

I think this might be wrong, even if it is a statement from Shimizu. Barium chlorate releases more energy once ignited, but it also takes more energy to activate it. Though no matter what, all chlorates should be treated very carefully.

Are you sure it takes more energy, or do you just mean harder to light? It's known to be a pretty sluggish oxidizer, so it could just take longer to get going to a self sustaining state. Rate and energy are not always perfectly correlated. I thought it was pretty common knowledge that barium chlorate was more sensitive than potassium chlorate, which would indicate a lower activation energy. Barium chlorate/shellac stars are known to be quite sensitive to impact and friction. The analogous potassium chlorate mix is less sensitive. In fact replacing some of the barium chlorate with potassium chlorate (or barium nitrate) are known to speed up the burn speed and decrease the sensitivity.

Thinking about valency, why would barium chlorate be more unstable? Barium forms ions with 2+ charge while potassium forms just +1?

Well it depends a lot on the crystal structure, but barium 2+ and potassium 1+ are almost the same size. That being said, barium exerts a harder pull on the counter ions, which could weaken the chlorine-oxygen bond. Whether this has anything to do with reactivity is up for debate though.

#24 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:48 AM

Are you sure it takes more energy, or do you just mean harder to light? It's known to be a pretty sluggish oxidizer, so it could just take longer to get going to a self sustaining state. Rate and energy are not always perfectly correlated. I thought it was pretty common knowledge that barium chlorate was more sensitive than potassium chlorate, which would indicate a lower activation energy. Barium chlorate/shellac stars are known to be quite sensitive to impact and friction. The analogous potassium chlorate mix is less sensitive. In fact replacing some of the barium chlorate with potassium chlorate (or barium nitrate) are known to speed up the burn speed and decrease the sensitivity.

Barium chlorate might more easily detonate on impact. I read in an old encyclopedia that it might detonate on impact without any fuel, though I have never succeeded in making that happen (a 15 kilo sledgehammer on an anvil with barium chlorate didn't make it happen). Though I'm not sure if that means that it will also more easily spontaneously react with stuff like sulfur or hexamine. I read somewhere that the stability of a chlorate might be determined by the stability of its end reactants. The end reactant of barium chlorate is barium monochloride. It first decomposes to barium dichloride and then to the monochloride. For what I know, barium monochloride is more stable than potassium monochloride, but someone may correct me, if I'm wrong in one or both of these assumptions.
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#25 FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:25 PM

What's the particle size of the MgAl in your formula, Seymour?

#26 Peret

Peret

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:18 AM

Here's Ellern on chlorates (Military and Civilian Pyrotechnics, chapter 43)

In forming anions from chlorine and oxygen atoms, the stability of the anion increases with the number of oxygen atoms, from hypochlorite to chlorite, to chlorate, and to perchlorate. This difference is still pronounced at the last step between chlorate and perchlorate.
The stability of the chlorates declines with the increase of valence of the cation. Barium chlorate, normally forming a monohydrate that loses its water above 120°C, is somewhat less stable than potassium chlorate.

#27 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:05 AM

You're all against me! :(
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#28 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:10 PM

I'm fascinated. I can make this for certain right now, except for the red gum (and honestly, I don't plan on buying any soon). Can that be substituted? Also, can we see this composition in action on video either as a star or a loose pile?

The only things I can think of that would be a close replacement for the red gum would be powdered phenolic (novolac) resin or resorcinol resin adhesive. DExtrin has a much lower carbon content and I suspect the burn rate will reduce.
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#29 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:32 PM

What about powdered shellac? It's more suitable for chlorates than perchlorates, but since there is a second - strong - fuel, MgAl, that shouldn't be a problem.
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#30 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:22 PM

While the Red Gum certainly has a significant fuel value, half the reason it's in there is to reduce stickeyness when using Parlon as a binder.

I'm sure replacing the Red Gum with Shellac would work OK, but I'd prefer to replace it with a larger quantity of Dextrin for more reason than one. By adding 5% or 6% dextrin to replace the 4% RG I'd be compensating slightly for the lower fuel value, but primarily I'm adding a water soluble binder.

Additionally, in my experience Dextrin is actually quite a good fuel with Potassium perchlorate.

My suggestion to use dextrin was not really a suggestion made to most accurately replace the Red Gum, which Phenolic compounds would probably do better.

FrankRizzo

Posted Yesterday, 11:25 AM
What's the particle size of the MgAl in your formula, Seymour?

I use -100# in all my colours.
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users