31 replies to this topic

#1 Steve

Steve

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:57 PM

ADR 2011 comes into force from 1st Jan this year. Amung various other changes that you really need to read up on if you transport hazardous goods is a big shake up in chemicals dispatched in limited quantites. New labeling requirements and worst of all:
Magnesium
Magnesium alloys
Zinc powder
Will not longer be available to ship in limited quantites.

On the plus side, KClO4 has gone up to 1kg!

Inoxia Pyrotechnics - The UK online store for chemicals and other pyrotechnics supplies

#2 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:37 PM

Interesting stuff Steve.

I did have a quick glance over it, maybe I should have a look in some greater detail.

D
Phew that was close.

#3 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:21 AM

Im losing the will to live reading this, but here it is anyway;

http://www.unece.org...1ContentsE.html

#4 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:38 PM

Do they deliberately write so much shit to confuse people? I see its yet another clause to close down YET more companies, part of our wonderful clever government and being part of pathetic EU which we get nothing from accept more taxation per year, around 2k more to my memory plus more for business.

I think they need to sack whoever transports these goods if they think someone is going to light them up or something to impose such limitation as this, we where limited before and now this! If god forbid they think these materials can be used by shittorists to make b*o*m*b*s then we best get imposing restrictions on cleaning substances that are used far more often or converted to their more volatile counter parts.

I know how you feel CPF!
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#5 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:42 PM

Look what was in the news today http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12337575

so they are relaxed on chemicals that the terriests use yet chemicals like Magnesium (that's not as dangerous are more strict) Just more reason why sellers just send chemicals via royal mail because silly regulations like this ban it even when they want to send it legally.

been perfectly fine before in small quantity's so why change it now ?

Edited by PyroPDC, 01 February 2011 - 10:46 PM.

#6 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:06 AM

Look what was in the news today http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12337575

so they are relaxed on chemicals that the terriests use yet chemicals like Magnesium (that's not as dangerous are more strict) Just more reason why sellers just send chemicals via royal mail because silly regulations like this ban it even when they want to send it legally.

been perfectly fine before in small quantity's so why change it now ?

The reason will be as the transport of magnesium is far more dangerous that the transport of perchlorate. It is not about what things can be used for but rather the risks involved with the transport. A split tub of perc would have to be mixed with a fuel to be dangerous or be involved in a fire to provide oxygen. Whereas magnesiun just has to get wet to cause a problem, maybe even starting a serious fire. It has never been legal to ship magnesium powder by royal mail anyway.

There may be a way of getting a ltd quantity through on particle size (large particle filler), I will look into it.

The main section worth looking at is section 3
Phew that was close.

#7 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:10 AM

Edited by Creepin_pyro, 08 October 2011 - 10:12 PM.

#8 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:50 AM

The reason will be as the transport of magnesium is far more dangerous that the transport of perchlorate. It is not about what things can be used for but rather the risks involved with the transport. A split tub of perc would have to be mixed with a fuel to be dangerous or be involved in a fire to provide oxygen. Whereas magnesiun just has to get wet to cause a problem, maybe even starting a serious fire. It has never been legal to ship magnesium powder by royal mail anyway.

There may be a way of getting a ltd quantity through on particle size (large particle filler), I will look into it.

The main section worth looking at is section 3

what i meant was the transport regulations are to strict so why bother doing it legal (the reason why sellers send via royal mail)

most chemicals are dangerous but 500g of magnesium is hardly going to blow up the delivery van if there was a fire.

visco fuse is not dangerous yet they make silly regulations just so its not worth sending legally.

Edited by PyroPDC, 02 February 2011 - 11:53 AM.

#9 Steve

Steve

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:56 AM

most chemicals are dangerous but 500g of magnesium is hardly going to blow up the delivery van if there was a fire.

No, but as said, it could start a fire if wet.
Inoxia Pyrotechnics - The UK online store for chemicals and other pyrotechnics supplies

#10 martyn

martyn

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:08 PM

The part of me that wants to buy this stuff thinks it is just a silly beaurocratic nonsense rule, and is grateful for any suppliers who might occasionally bend the rules.
The work side of me knows for a fact that unmarked packages of dangerous goods does pose a real danger to the people who might attend an incident involving a vehicle or distribution centre containing these packages.
I have personally been involved in several, none pyro related, usually a split drum of unlabelled white powder which gets everyone over reacting and shuts down a large area.
The most memorable one was a van full of lithium batteries on fire which trumpton then sprayed with water.

#11 Peret

Peret

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 02:24 AM

If you guys in Britain would just hold periodic weekend events, suppliers like Steve and Digger could show up and hand you these unshippable chemicals. That's how I generally get materials like barium chlorate, realgar, Paris Green, black powder, etc without having to pay twice what they cost for shipping.

#12 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:05 AM

If you guys in Britain would just hold periodic weekend events, suppliers like Steve and Digger could show up and hand you these unshippable chemicals. That's how I generally get materials like barium chlorate, realgar, Paris Green, black powder, etc without having to pay twice what they cost for shipping.

Yes that would be good, I do have my ADR licence for all of the appropriate items so I can move them by road. I guess any purchasers would be able to transport the items as they would be deemed as items in retail packaging / under the small load expemptions from ADR (however I would need to do more reading to see if that this is possible).

However it does seem as though we have a fairly disperse bunch of people out there, making it quite difficult to set these meets up.
Phew that was close.

#13 exat808

exat808

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:42 PM

Just catching up with this thread.
Please dont forget that one of the basic start points in ADR is that the Agreement does not and never has been applicable to the carriage of dangerous goods by private individuals for their personal or domestic use or for their leisure or sporting activities (ADR 1.1.3.1 (a))

#14 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:53 PM

Just catching up with this thread.
Please dont forget that one of the basic start points in ADR is that the Agreement does not and never has been applicable to the carriage of dangerous goods by private individuals for their personal or domestic use or for their leisure or sporting activities (ADR 1.1.3.1 (a))

Ta, that clears that up
Phew that was close.

#15 rocketpro

rocketpro

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:20 AM

No, but as said, it could start a fire if wet.

I think the point PDC is making is the risk is low. My wet shoe could slip off my brake pedal which could cause untold havoc!
There are many risks involved in life and the best we can/should do is minimize them to the best of our ability without bringing in unreasonable legislation.
It`s not difficult, but that`s not the agenda is it.

Who tests the tester.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users