Possible CAT 4 courses in 2011

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#61 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:43 PM

This might be a stupid question.... but why does theory come after practical? :blush:

Oh there is no particular reason for the order of them, other than that an event which would neatly tie in to the practical session coincided with the Saturday, so it made sense to combine the 2 events into a weekend rather than have people driving from all over the country twice.

We are getting quite close to the event now so I plan to start a conversation in PM and add everyone attending, so we can discuss lift sharing etc. for people travelling a long way.

Also just a quick reminder to say anyone that wishes to attend should contact me as soon as possible to reserve a place.
You can never have a long enough fuse...

#62 icarus

icarus

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:46 PM

Hi the field in leicestershire is available again . Also the new pub landlord is a big improvement .
protodezine@gmail.com

#63 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:28 AM

We're down to the last couple of places left now on the theory course, so if you are still unsure, please act now.

The course content is as follows:

Introduction
Why this course?
Firework Class and Types
Firework Schematics
Fuses and Fusing
Firing Systems
Firework Classification
Storage, Licensing and Registration
CHAF Test Videos
Legislative Review for Firework Operatives
Notification to Authoritative Bodies
Road Transport and Security
VOSA, TRANSEC, Security Video
Transport Documentation
Driving under Tachograph Regulations
Risk Management
Risk Assessment on a Display Site
Display Site Management
Practical Firing
Protocols and Etiquette
Manual Handling
Medical Assistance

This is compliant with the Pyrotechnic Articles (Safety) Regulations 2010 which becomes mandatory from 4th July 2013.

Additionally, I have negotiated with the venue that Sunday lunch can be pre-ordered on arrival and will be provided at very reasonable cost (£6).

Edited by pyromaniac303, 28 September 2011 - 02:31 AM.

#64 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:10 PM

I'll be travelling from London either late Saturday or silly early on Sunday if anyone wants a lift. Basically M1 all the way to J30! Pick up on the way may be available, if well organised.

I'd like to see the display but Saturday's ORDCON (see Exat's posts) may run late, plus the motorway run will be 2 - 3 hours.

What time will you be firing the display on the Saturday please?
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#65 Altus

Altus

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:40 AM

Can we just confirm all the details of this event in one post for the event this weekend 8th and 9th October:

Bondhay Golf Club and Academy
Whitwell Common,
Worksop,
Nottinghamshire
S80 3EH

Saturday start 3:00pm

Sunday 8:30am for 9am

TRAVEL DIRECTIONS

FROM M1

Leave the M1 at Junction 30. Take the A6135 (signposted Newark, Worksop).

At the next Roundabout take the 1st exit A619 (signposted Worksop), and follow the road for approximately 2.4 miles.

At a small line of houses, just before the right turn for the B6043 to Whitwell, turn left onto Bondhay Lane.

Bondhay Golf Club is approximately 1.2 miles along Bondhay Lane on the right.

FROM A1

Leave the A1 and follow the A57 toward Worksop for approximately 5 miles.

At the roundabout junction with the A60, take the A60 and follow for approximately 1 mile until the junction with the A619.

Take the A619 signposted Chesterfield and follow for approximately 3.3 miles passing the Half Moon Public House upon your right.

At a small line of houses, and just after the B6043 turning on your left to Whitwell turn right onto Bondhay Lane. The club is 1.2 miles along the lane on your right.

#66 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:43 PM

Can we just confirm all the details of this event in one post for the event this weekend 8th and 9th October:

These are all correct. You will know you are getting close to the venue when you see a couple of large wind turbines.

For attendees of the practical day, please bring some sturdy footwear, a torch (preferably a head torch if you have one) and clothes suitable for the weather on the day. Additionally if you have fireproof overalls and a helmet and visor set then these could be useful, but if not, don't worry as the show is electrically fired so it is very unlikely we will resort to hand firing. Arrival is at 3pm, and we will be meeting at the golf driving range, which is where the show will be set up. In the evening at the event, a buffet will be available, but it will only consist of snacks, so the plan is that around 6pm we can order a takeaway. If the show goes smoothly and we get everything completed in good time, attendees are welcome to spend time at the event where there will be competitions/games in aid of 3 charities (Teenage Cancer Trust, Sheffield PACT and Nottingham QMC), and 2 live bands.

Tools such as hammers, and consumables (tie wraps etc.) will be provided, however if you have snips similar to those in the following image, they would be useful as there may not be enough for one each at all times.
Posted Image

For attendees of the theory course, all you really need is yourself, a pen, and a willingness to learn a lot in one day! The site will be open from 8.30am, and we must be in and ready to begin for 9am. The course is planned to run through to 4-5pm, with a break for Sunday lunch.

I look forward to seeing everyone there,
Paul

#67 pnw

pnw

• UKPS Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:23 PM

These are all correct. You will know you are getting close to the venue when you see a couple of large wind turbines.

For attendees of the practical day, please bring some sturdy footwear, a torch (preferably a head torch if you have one) and clothes suitable for the weather on the day. Additionally if you have fireproof overalls and a helmet and visor set then these could be useful, but if not, don't worry as the show is electrically fired so it is very unlikely we will resort to hand firing. Arrival is at 3pm, and we will be meeting at the golf driving range, which is where the show will be set up. In the evening at the event, a buffet will be available, but it will only consist of snacks, so the plan is that around 6pm we can order a takeaway. If the show goes smoothly and we get everything completed in good time, attendees are welcome to spend time at the event where there will be competitions/games in aid of 3 charities (Teenage Cancer Trust, Sheffield PACT and Nottingham QMC), and 2 live bands.

Tools such as hammers, and consumables (tie wraps etc.) will be provided, however if you have snips similar to those in the following image, they would be useful as there may not be enough for one each at all times.
Posted Image

For attendees of the theory course, all you really need is yourself, a pen, and a willingness to learn a lot in one day! The site will be open from 8.30am, and we must be in and ready to begin for 9am. The course is planned to run through to 4-5pm, with a break for Sunday lunch.

I look forward to seeing everyone there,
Paul

#68 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:01 PM

What dress code applies in this golf club?

#69 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:16 PM

What dress code applies in this golf club?

As it is a venue I'm hiring for the 2 days, no dress code applies. There will be no one stood at the door to stop you walking in with overalls on! As a guide, the event on the Saturday will be smart casual dress if anyone feels the need to bring a spare set of clothes to change in to, but it isn't necessary as its a fairly informal event.

As for the Sunday course, there is no dress code either, though Sunday Lunch will be served should you want it so we may enter the restaurant area with other members of the general public.

#70 Altus

Altus

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:30 PM

Thanks for organising this Paul. Was very informative and useful even if a little contradictory on some points ;)

Edited by Altus, 09 October 2011 - 09:31 PM.

#71 Atom Fireworks

Atom Fireworks

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:31 AM

Thanks for organising this Paul. Was very informative and useful even if a little contradictory on some points ;)

I think basically he was highlighting in a round about way that some of the legislation does not tally up with other regs and therefore he taught us by the book facts. Ime sure there is ways and means around a few of them however in his position it would not look good if he were to tell us. I found the day very interesting and as far as who to believe goes if the HSE have attended that course and gave them the thumbs up on the information being how they percieve it then ime sticking to what they say :D

#72 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:45 PM

Yes, many thanks Paul. I know how much effort this stuff takes.

I was also somewhat concerned about one or two comments that I heard afterwards - I was not on the course, so I cannot comment on what was actually said by the instructor.

I'm checking with some other sources at the moment. It is however all too true that many things in the legislation are nonsensical or contradictory & there is often no ‘right’ answer.

The mere fact that you took the time and trouble to attend a recognised course will stand you in good stead, should anyone in authority question what you do. You now know the law and codes of practice that apply, which is more than many in authority will know! This is not a put-down – there is just too much for any one person to know.

There is also a difference between what is considered 'best practice' in industry & what is 'required by law'. In many cases smaller outfits and occasional firers will not necessarily be in a position to do what large firms do, but this does not of itself make such practices either dangerous or illegal.

Eg – One highly respected operator I know regularly uses steel mortars & reloads during a show. Now some people consider such practices virtually criminal – they are not however! Just a different way of doing things…

Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#73 Cris

Cris

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:08 PM

Hi Guys,

It was really nice to meet you all this weekend, my brother and I had a great time.

Here is the video from Saturday night...

http://www.vimeo.com/30331358

It's still encoding at the moment. I shot it a bit too wide and a bit too dark but you should be able to look at your cue sheets to see what was what without any problems.

Lets just hope we all passed :)

Cheers

Cris

#74 Atom Fireworks

Atom Fireworks

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:27 AM

Has any one recieved there certificate yet?

Jay

#75 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:13 PM

Really the proximity of 5th nov which may be a tad busy for Illuminate makes certificates this side of GFN unlikely, but it would be nice!

Are the certs going to each of us direct from Illuminate or via Pyromaniac 303?? Anyone really know?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users