• Please log in to reply
285 replies to this topic

#271 adam1717

adam1717

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:32 PM

I was thinking of buying 1kg of Iron Oxide (red) from Walker Ceramics and they have two types and i dont know which is the right one. They have IRON OXIDE (SYNTHETIC RED) and IRON OXIDE (NATURAL RED). I want to make some Gold Glitter Stars. Can anyone help me out?
Thanks,
Adam

#272 rocket

rocket

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 07:07 AM

I would think that the natural would be the on you want. The synthetic one probably has other crap in it to give it more colour. When I was at there store I one saw red iron oxide.

#273 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:49 AM

The synthetic is fairly pure Fe2O3, it is what I use.

#274 Aussie Pyro King

Aussie Pyro King

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:08 AM

Hey fellow aussies. I haven't been around here for a while, just getting back into it. Does anyone around Sydney or NSW have a good source of bags of KNO3? I'm sick of paying $30 for 500g of LR grade. I've rang a fair few companies with no luck. A nice long drive to buy some is in order! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#275 adam1717

adam1717

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:23 AM

Hello everyone. Has anyone in AUS been able to get Antimony trisulfide? Ive been checking a few Chemical Suppliers and none seem to have it (besides chemsuply, but they just gave me a list of Western Australia Distributors). I have read that it was sold for pigment in art but is not sold anymore because of its toxicity.
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
Adam

#276 rocket

rocket

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 07:02 AM

I haven’t had any luck finding it, mind you I didn’t search to hard. Chemsupply are a rip anyway the prices are extremely high.

#277 Freak

Freak

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:16 AM

Hello everyone. Has anyone in AUS been able to get Antimony trisulfide? Ive been checking a few Chemical Suppliers and none seem to have it (besides chemsuply, but they just gave me a list of Western Australia Distributors). I have read that it was sold for pigment in art but is not sold anymore because of its toxicity.
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
Adam

I found in cataloge of Fluka (It's German Company...) but only Antimony pentasulfide. Sb2S5. There isn't Antimony trisulfide. However, it's poison substance, for this reason they didn't use it in art,....

If you are interested for Sb2S5 I'll get you a cataloge's number.

cya

#278 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:51 AM

However, it's poison substance, for this reason they didn't use it in art,....

You better get your facts straight. Sb2S3 was used in the art industry but IIRC it's not used as much today. And beeing a poisonos substance is no reason for not being used. Barium carbonate is also toxic and it's used extensively for glazes in pottery stuff.

If you want to find antymoni trisulfide in sigma aldrich catalog you should type in: Antimony (III) sulfide.

#279 Freak

Freak

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 02:09 PM

If you want to find antymoni trisulfide in sigma aldrich catalog you should type in: Antimony (III) sulfide.

Yes, you were right. Sigma Aldrich has antymoni trisulfide. Price of Antymoni trisulfide is :

There are prices without tax:

5g = 52 €
50g = 338 €
100g = 18.30 € (Why is cheaper? Because it is not p.a.)
500g = 53.80 €

cya

#280 maximusg

maximusg

What's The Name of The Song? Explosivo!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:48 AM

Hello fellow aussies... Whats been happenin around here. Seems a lot of people have gone quiet.

Well i know i have been doin less pyro since the start of the year (started uni) but im sure ill make room for it during some of my longer breaks through the year.

Anyway, Stay green.
my friend: What's that?

me: It's a fuse.

my friend: Oh.

#281 Pepsi

Pepsi

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:29 AM

Well Hi Maxi, I'm still here but its too bloody dry down this way to light anything.... :(

Regards
P :ph34r:
"Growing Old is Inevitable,
Growing Up is Optional"

#282 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:22 PM

Just found this and thought I'd pass it on:

http://antwrp.gsfc.n...d/ap070205.html

#283 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:41 PM

Just found this and thought I'd pass it on:

http://antwrp.gsfc.n...d/ap070205.html

WOW! what are the chancers of that ever happening again :) great pic
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#284 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:17 PM

Down here in NZ we got a great view of the comet as well, even three weeks later in Auckland, the light polution capital of the south pacific it was still visable. Also, it is the first comet I have ever seen! Stunning!
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#285 Techohead

Techohead

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 12:46 PM

Hello everyone... again it looks like this thread has been abandoned for a few months... but i'm yet another shocked/amazed aussie, and actually bothered to read this whole thread looking for resources people have gained, but the way things are looking here in aus, it's probably not long until they ban matches, lighters and any other potential source of ignition.

i spent many months not long ago looking for a supply of potassium nitrate, as my first ever pyro experimentation, (beyond huge sparkler b**bs - limited entertainment) and just recently found someone who'll sell me potassium nitrate, but only in many small packets, at a final total (after postage/handling) of around $10 per kilo, for the agricultural grade stuff. i bought ten kilo's from them, of which i have used half, of in only 1 month. i've been experimenting with rocket candy rockets, and am getting into making my own black powder, which is proving to include many challenges for me.

great to know that there are others out there in the rebellion against the Australian government, and i want us all to represent our pride and endurance with our own backyard presentations on Guy Fawkes day... (rocket night - 5th November, to celebrate the foiling of what would have proven to be a parliamentary fireworks display, for those who know their history)

fight on people... for the love of pyrotechnics...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users