Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

http://www.telegraph...-on-camera.html

#2 Malcolm Smith

Malcolm Smith

Professional Pyrotechnist

• UKPS Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:37 AM

Odds on that it was started by a shell or shells exploding in close-packed, glass-fibre mortars followed by the computer not saying "No" to the rest of the display. :wacko:

Edited by Malcolm Smith, 27 January 2012 - 01:58 AM.

Firework Displays and Special Effects                http://www.supremefireworks.co.uk              

#3 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:49 PM

The aftermath footage seems to indicate they were'nt using a lot of safety distance :unsure:
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#4 bangkokpyro

bangkokpyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:01 PM

The Accident if one can describe such blatent disregard for safety procedures as an accident was caused by a low breaking shell raining down burning stars and debris on a nearby fabric tent full of shells and other devices.
The tent load of stuff went up causing a massive explosion and the fallout set fire to a load of nearby houses (mostly wooden).
I believe there were 4 dead and approx 50 injured. A couple of dozen houses were burnt to the ground
Min safe distances for specific calibre guns were not observed and they were firing 12 nch shells within 100 feet of spectators.
This sort of madness is common here where firework display operators are not licenced, trained or endowed with enough brains to even spell the word safety.
Sadly the victims families will end up with a few hundred quid compensation, no enqury , no outcry, no change to the way these events are planned and organized.

#5 SamTheMan

SamTheMan

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:44 AM

Absolutely 100% bang-on the nose! From the look at some of the tubes, there could even have 15/18 inchers too?! Utter madness! Typical that the incident has now completely faded away here... no follow ups... no real official explanation given... no way to stop it from happening again. I guess all the families have been 'compensated' or moved, and the people responsible have also paid their 'dues' to the relevant officials, so - in essence - 'job done and dusted'! This is Thailand, where - as long as you have the funds - you (quite literally) can get away with murder. Crazy thing is... I wouldn't live anywhere else! lol Still... very sad, and I hope some lessons result from the incident.

The Accident if one can describe such blatent disregard for safety procedures as an accident was caused by a low breaking shell raining down burning stars and debris on a nearby fabric tent full of shells and other devices.
The tent load of stuff went up causing a massive explosion and the fallout set fire to a load of nearby houses (mostly wooden).
I believe there were 4 dead and approx 50 injured. A couple of dozen houses were burnt to the ground
Min safe distances for specific calibre guns were not observed and they were firing 12 nch shells within 100 feet of spectators.
This sort of madness is common here where firework display operators are not licenced, trained or endowed with enough brains to even spell the word safety.
Sadly the victims families will end up with a few hundred quid compensation, no enqury , no outcry, no change to the way these events are planned and organized.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users