• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#16 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

I'm assuming the AGM is open to the public as usual? Any cost involved for non-members?

Yes, open to all, all very welcome. So much better to have a full hall...

We have not decided all the details yet, but maybe it would be appropriate to ask for a voluntary contribution from non-members? - would not want it to put anyone off coming though.

Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#17 Pyromancer

Pyromancer

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:23 PM

Hello Everybody!

We've just had a management phone conference and have thrashed out a rough timetable for our AGM/Conference on 5th May at Woodstock.

As incoming Chairman I've volunteered to put this post together, and help organise things so I can start to get to grips with the running of the society.

As the AGM is late this year, we will be well into British summer time and the sun is not due to set until 8:30pm, so it will not be dark enough for a display until 9:30pm. We therefore need to juggle the display and the social meal - see below.

We also want everyone to be able to enjoy the conference and fireworks (setup and display), so the aim is to have the conference finish and then for everyone to help set things up. The display will be kept simple, without complex electrical firings, so the fireworks will be hand fired (bring your own coveralls, hards hats, etc.).

Here's the rough plan, plese note that this may be subject to change:

From 12:30pm Arrive for a 1:00pm start

1:00pm - 1:30pm AGM (with luck this will not take the full 30 minutes allocated)

1:30pm - 2:00pm Presentation #1 'The Forensic Investigation of Firework Incidents' - Stephen Miller

2:00pm - 2:30pm Presentation #2 - TBA

2:30pm - 3:00pm Presentation #3 - TBA

3:00pm - 3:30pm Break - Tea, Coffee, etc.

3:30pm - 4:00pm Presentation #4 - TBA

4:00pm - 5:00pm Guest Speakers Presentation - Roland and Sidney Alford from Alford Technologies

5:00pm - 5:30pm Alford Technologies Demonstrations - Field infront of school

5:30pm - 7:30pm Fireworks Set Up - All hands to the pump - everyone involved

7:30pm - 9:00pm Social Meal*

9:00pm - 9:30pm Return to field for display at 9:30pm

9:30pm - 9:45pm Fireworks display firing - Hand firing by volunteers*

9:45pm - 10:05pm Fireworks Cool Down

10:05pm - 10:30pm Fireworks clear up/pack up - All to help so we get this done as quickly as possible.

10:30pm onwards Social at the pub until we've had enough.

As you can see there are three 30 minute presentation slots still available, if anyone has anything they would like to present at the AGM please PM me.

* We will need some volunteers to guard the display once it is set up, while others head off for the social meal, anyone willing to take on this guard duty will be given priority should they wish to be part of the display firing team - please PM me if you want to volunteer. If we do not get any/enough volunteers then it'll be down to drawing names out of a hat, as the fairest way to settle things.

We have a small budget avaiable for the display, but will be more than happy to recieve donations of cash or materials (proper legal devices only please) to make the display bigger and better - please PM me if you wish to make a donation to the cause (thanks go to those who already have).

We have decided that non-members are welcome to attend the AGM/Conference, but we will be asking them to make a voluntery donation of £2.50 each to help us cover the cost of refreshments and the venue hire.

Well, that's about it for now.

We look forward to hearing your views.

Steve Miller

(UKPS Chairman in Waiting)

#18 pyro plim

pyro plim

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:04 PM

Sounds good ..Did i hear hand fired show ?? I will chuck my portfires in the car..B)

#19 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

What is the possibility of getting a takeaway delivered to the firing site? The meal delivered to "a field in Leicestershire" was well received and good value.

Curry for 50 should attract lots of tenders fron the local suppliers.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#20 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:26 PM

What is the possibility of getting a takeaway delivered to the firing site? The meal delivered to "a field in Leicestershire" was well received and good value.

Curry for 50 should attract lots of tenders fron the local suppliers.

Sounds good to me, would be nice if they could include some plates & cutlery in the delivery or could the school provide this with a few tables, anyone up for a few Cobra`s to be delivered to?

#21 barnsley-mark

barnsley-mark

Why did I try that?

• UKPS Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

As a new member I am intending attending (work commitments sometimes scupper weekend plans but it is rare), also happy to do 'guard duty' for the set up. - it would give me a chance to look and learn why things have been set out in a certain way etc.

#22 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

We will be very near the centre of Woodstock with good value pub food available as per the 2010 AGM. This also provides a great social - having been kicked out at closing last time we gathered in the town square and talked pyro until midnight.

The display will be later this year (9:30-ish) so we'll have the meal in town beforehand. I'm sure we can sort something out for those on 'guard duty'.

#23 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

As a new member I am intending attending (work commitments sometimes scupper weekend plans but it is rare), also happy to do 'guard duty' for the set up. - it would give me a chance to look and learn why things have been set out in a certain way etc.

The AGM really is a not to be missed event,there is a real buzz to the day !

#24 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:51 PM

Anyone know of any good camping sites nearby?

#25 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:11 AM

Great to hear the AGM is going ahead (and just down the road from me).

I was hoping we could have a pyro themed raffle. I know i mentioned this last year, and their was no one to organise it. So this year I'm volunteering to do just that it's a pretty simple raffle system (perfect for me). So providing the committee is ok with it, theirs enough time in the agenda, and of course we get enough donations we should be good to go.

Presumably nothing live ?? and certainly no cat 4. I was thinking : books, pyro tooling, shell casing, tubes, ppe ect. Doesn't have to be new,or even directly related to pyro really.

Hopefully we can raise some funds for next years display or other ukps projects.
Yo Ho Ho, a pyro's life for me

#26 whoof

whoof

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:15 AM

Anyone know of any good camping sites nearby?

There is a CC place near Chipping Norton about 6 miles.
Handy for hook norton brewery tooo.

#27 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:17 PM

Great to hear the AGM is going ahead (and just down the road from me).

I was hoping we could have a pyro themed raffle. I know i mentioned this last year, and their was no one to organise it. So this year I'm volunteering to do just that it's a pretty simple raffle system (perfect for me). So providing the committee is ok with it, theirs enough time in the agenda, and of course we get enough donations we should be good to go.

Presumably nothing live ?? and certainly no cat 4. I was thinking : books, pyro tooling, shell casing, tubes, ppe ect. Doesn't have to be new,or even directly related to pyro really.

Hopefully we can raise some funds for next years display or other ukps projects.

Sounds good to me Steve - how do you see it working?
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#28 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:23 PM

I was thinking of using a similar system to another club i was a member of. That is people make donations,usually businesses associated with the club (you know who you are), but also members that have things they no longer need and would like to see them go to a good home. That said i haven't actually had any offers of donations as yet, but hopefully if we can clarify what can or can't be donated that will all change.

I personally can't see any problem with live cat 3 stuff as prizes: retail rocket packs, small cakes etc and even fuse (i personally could do with a few meters of 'pic'), although their may be some issues with how it is displayed.
Books, tooling, tubes, chemicals ??, spark issues, memberships, training courses, and so on.

The persons donating the prizes brings them to the venue, they are displayed on a table or 2 (hopefully) so people can see what's on offer.

Tickets are sold (prices would depend on quality of prizes). The stubs of all the tickets that have been sold go into a hat/shell case/clean mortar tube, some one picks out the first ticket (perhaps the incoming chairman as i don't think the budget would run to a page 3 model :o( sadly. ) The holder of the winning ticket comes up chooses a prize and picks out the next ticket this is repeated until all the prizes are gone. I think this is a good system as it sort of works on a first come/picked out, gets first dibs on the prizes (at the trials bike club the brand new rear tyre was always first to go).

I'd be interested to hear other members views on this and also some PM'S from people wishing to donate just to get an idea if we're gonna have enough stuff to make the raffle possible.

#29 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

OK Steve.

seeing as I am one of those who knows who they are.

I will donate a big pile of shell casings, 2", 3", 4", 5", 6" and 8" along with tubes made for 2" and 3" mines with ends caps. Let me know what you think would be suitable volumes of items. I may have a few boxes of 3/4 and 1" tubes kicking around that could be added.

Cheers

G

Edited by digger, 24 March 2012 - 10:01 PM.

Phew that was close.

#30 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:15 PM

Good good!! Thanks for starting us off with wat is in its self is a great selection. As you are the first(apart from me) to offer a donation, I feel it best to see what others offer and whether or not the committee have any objections to any part of the planned raffle before we decide anything on volume perhaps a few shell case/tube selection packs would be the way to go.

Thanks again
Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users